How do you open canning jars?

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
We've had a really good year in the garden this year, and my wife has gone crazy canning stuff. Her salsa is AMAZING!!! But now I'm struggling to open the jars.

I had a plastic handled thing that was OK, not great, at getting them lids open, but I broke it last night. Today I really struggled to get the lid off of a jar of salsa for my eggs, and I need to find something that will do this for me.

What do you use? Or even better, what could I buy for my wife to use so I'm not the jar opening guy?

After reading your replies, I'm editing this to clarify that it's the ring that I'm struggling to remove. Some are easy, others take some effort and a few feel like they are welded on.

Last edited:

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
I assume you mean the ring, right, not the lid... ?

We remove our rings after the jar has sealed....wife washes the jars them and puts them up....then washes the rings for another run. If we get one that won't come off (most do....the longer the are on the jar, the worse they set up...like glue), we simply run it under hot water for a short time....and if that doesn't do it (rare), tap the ring with the back side of a case knife in 3-4 places....that always works.

jaydee325

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere X584 Garden Tractor & LS R3039H
Maybe this will help:

JAR OPENER BUYING GUIDE: how to choose jar opener that works • Jar and Can Openers % %

We've had a really good year in the garden this year, and my wife has gone crazy canning stuff. Her salsa is AMAZING!!! But now I'm struggling to open the jars.

I had a plastic handled thing that was OK, not great, at getting them lids open, but I broke it last night. Today I really struggled to get the lid off of a jar of salsa for my eggs, and I need to find something that will do this for me.

What do you use? Or even better, what could I buy for my wife to use so I'm not the jar opening guy?

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172

We remove our rings after the jar has sealed....wife washes the jars them and puts them up....then washes the rings for another run. If we get one that won't come off (most do....the longer the are on the jar, the worse they set up...like glue), we simply run it under hot water for a short time....and if that doesn't do it (rare), tap the ring with the back side of a case knife in 3-4 places....that always works.

Case knife? That brings back a lot of memories...but I haven't heard a table knife called a Case knife in 60 years! My Mom always referred to it as a "Case knife".

Deere Dude

Elite Member
Beaver Dam Wisconsin then to Hohenwald, TN
Tractor
John Deere 3720

My wife, Arnold, also removes the rings easily after they are sealed and reuses the rings for the next patch. Worked that way for 40 years. :D

buckeyefarmer

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4
We remive the ring after they seal and cool down, then simple opener to pop the lid. We also make salsa, yummmm.

If the ring is a problem, i would think oil filter plyers would work great.

TnAndy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX410...IHI 35J excavator Woodmizer LT40
Case knife? That brings back a lot of memories...but I haven't heard a table knife called a Case knife in 60 years! My Mom always referred to it as a "Case knife".

Well, we're kinda ole fashioned here....... :D

oosik

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota M6040
If you mean the ring - run under hot water. If you mean the lid - a "church key". Be gentle with the church key and don't deform the lid.

If you are a brute and DO deform the lid & seal - two layers of Suran Wrap and the ring.

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3, Kubota M9000 HD, Kubota Sidekick UTE
Maybe it's self defeating but my wife cans a bunch and we leave the sealing rings on. When it comes time to open a jar of say spaghetti sauce or pickled beets or Kraut (we make a lot of kraut here, I do the work on that), I take a pair of needle nose pliers and grip the rolled edge of the sealing ring and wind the pliers up (just like an old ham can key) from the bottom of the ring to the top and that removes the ring from the jar and then I use an old school can opener to remove the lid. Wife is very particular about her jars and she has many very old blue glass Ball jars.

Works every time and I've never broken a jar. Sealing rings and lids are cheap anyway. Wife buys them in boxes of 50 each.