How do you open canning jars?

/ How do you open canning jars? #12  
More Wheaties for breakfast. Build up your strength!

A couple of strap wrenches should work. Easiest is to pry up one side of the screw on rim to break the vacuum seal with whatever is handy. Fork handle, knife tip, fork teeth etc.

We have a lot of kitchen knives with the point bent or broke off!:ashamed:

Last edited:
   / How do you open canning jars? #13  
I do a lot of canning and after the jars have cooled off and the lids set, I make sure the bands are loose, but I leave them on the jars. You don't want to set the ring down hard before you run it through the canning process, so it can vent, but if a ring is too stubborn to loosen after the jars are cool, the back side of a kitchen knife has always done the trick for me.

/ How do you open canning jars? #15  
Oil filter removal/install tool. :)

/ How do you open canning jars? #16  
Well, we're kinda ole fashioned here....... :D

My compliments!

And mine. :) ("I've seen your work." ;))

Arthritis limits my grip strength. Those 'grippers' let me apply the muscle, and they clean so easily to maintain their tack. :thumbsup:

Mom tapped tight lids firmly against a counter edge, never left a dent that I noticed, always works for me.

Under warm water the lid should expand more than the glass, so tapping with anything need not be as energetic.

Store-bought lids will never 'stick' like old galvanized or tin Ball-type rings where we've canned. (We go thru' more lids.)

The under-cabinets openers pretty much demand a two handed grip. Reviews are obviously biased toward .. how well they work. :D

btw, add grip to clean strap wrenches & lids with a pinch of powdered rosin, or single wrap of double-stick tape. ..

/ How do you open canning jars? #19  
I've had good luck tipping jar upside down than couple 2 finger stern taps than lid right side up cloth with nubs follow with firm grip remove the lid.

/ How do you open canning jars? #20  
You guys actually destroy lids/rings...!?

On purpose!?

Not around here. And not when I was growing up. That would have (and will) get you killed dead.

I've rapped them (as in tapped them) against the corner of the kitchen counter, and used the under cabinet "gripper" thing if that didn't work.

Worst I've had to do is run the top of one under hot water for a few minutes and do the tapping on counter thing and "gripper" thing again.

But destroying one... bbrrrrr... that sent shivers down my spine. I can feel the cold, clammy hand of Death Himself reaching for me just thinking about it.