How do you tarp a trailer?

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have a 16’ tandem axle landscaping trailer with 18” tall sheet metal sides. I frequently haul mulch or landscaping debris. Regular tarps just don’t work well. The grommets tear out as the wind gets under it. Are there aftermarket tarps that hold up and are easy to secure and place? How do you guys tarp a load?

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #2  
Order up a roller tarp and fab it onto the front. They have grommets on the sides so you can grab the sides with bunnies. You could probably add your own grommets if there aren’t enough.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #3  
Buy a tarp twice as long as your trailer- like a 12x40. Lay the tarp with the edge hanging 2 feet off the back and let all the excess hang off the front. Once loaded fold the excess in front backward over the load fold up the 2' tail and tie it all down without too much tension. This method keeps it all covered and is aerodynamic which solves the tearing up issue.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #5  
Buy a tarp twice as long as your trailer- like a 12x40. Lay the tarp with the edge hanging 2 feet off the back and let all the excess hang off the front. Once loaded fold the excess in front backward over the load fold up the 2' tail and tie it all down without too much tension. This method keeps it all covered and is aerodynamic which solves the tearing up issue.

Sounds like a good way. I've seen people use the tarp to pull the load out of their trailer with brush. The dump I go to has a post where you can tie onto to pull the load out of the trailer or truck bed.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #6  
I gave on waterproof tarps:hissyfit::duh::banghead::mischievous::censored:and started using mesh type. No more flapping and ripping.:applause:

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #7  
I haul mulch, dirt, stone etc. in my dump trailer. I buy cheap mesh tarps at HF and secure them with bungies. The mesh tarps allow air to flow through them yet contain the load. If and when the grommets pul out I replace the tarp. I also bought the grommet kit HF sells and have repaired some old tarps. I usually get the 8'x16' for $30 less the 20% coupon. Never had wind get under and lift the tarp.

Search results for: 'mesh tarp'

Last edited:
   / How do you tarp a trailer? #8  
Sounds like a good way. I've seen people use the tarp to pull the load out of their trailer with brush. The dump I go to has a post where you can tie onto to pull the load out of the trailer or truck bed.

All the disposal sites around DFW are run by jazzaxes . In addition to price per ton, $20 surcharge for non-dump vehicle and $25 if you want "pull off". Operator drive's dozer to rear of trailer and you hook your chain to dozer for "pull off". Admittance refused if you are not tarped or improperly tarped. NO,you cannot adjust tarp in their lot,must leave and return. However,they will alow installation of tarp they sell for 3x price. Some ask patrons to show hard hats for everyone in vehicle. NO,your kid can't wait here while you unload. And on and on,something new every trip.
I would rather be whipped with a dead rabbit than go to the disposal sites around here.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #9  
I haul mulch, dirt, stone etc. in my dump trailer. I but cheap mesh tarps at HF and secure them with bungies. The mesh tarps allow air to flow through them yet contain the load. If and when the grommets pull out I replace the tarp. I also bought the grommet kit HF sells and have repaired some old tarps. I usually get the 8'x16' for $30 less the 20% coupon. Never had wind get under and lift the tarp.

I've done the following with a 1 ton truck with a dump box carrying sawdust. Safety police may yell, but what is general consensus?: Instead of messing with a dozen straps or bungees, and correct size tarp, I threw oversize tarp over load, then laid several logging chains around perimeter of dump box over and along edge of tarp. No air could get under it. Worked well.
At least my picture didn't end up on the other thread showing idiots carrying things. :D
Unsafe?
Too redneck?