How do you tarp a trailer?

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #21  
When I posted about azz holes at dump sites it was in response to what two_bit_score (who is also in Tx) said about dump furnishing a pole for patrons that want to pull a load off. The point being made is that DFW Metro dumps jack the price where as most Tx dumps don't. I didn't go into detail but here's more info that might put things in prespective. The larger and dense population become's in an area,the more bureaucratic,non-traditional and lazy people become.
AFAIK,state,county and city government agencies in Tx have immunity to most lawsuits. Tx voters want it that way rather than supporting people and their lawyers that file suit for stubbing a toe on sidewalk or walking into invisiable traffic signs. For that reason,the dump isn't responsible for anyone's injuries other than employees. Again,Texans want it that way rather than having lawyers join other opportunistic buzzards around the dump ground. With the running scared of liability crap out of the way,here's examples some might grasp as public servants intertaining themselves by causing patron (taxpayer) discomfort.
I pulled on scale with a 2 wheel U-Haul towed by a late model 3500 GMC Duramax. The scissor bill running scales said I weighed 9K lbs and must put up a $225 deposit to insure I didn't run the scales coming out. No amount of reasoning could convince her I wouldn't leave truck and trailer at the dump along with trash. Why didn't I just leave a credit card? Glad you asked. A year or so earlier I had multiple loads going to a different site. I per-arranged for customer to cut me a blank check with a max value. On first load,I gave them the check with instructions to hold it until final load and we would fill out for total charges. Went fine until the fourth load. "We deposited that check,you will have to give us another". Adding insult to injury,they couldn't,make that WOULDN"T produce supporting paperwork for my customer. Pulled in with an old bicycle peeking out of the load. "You'll have to dig that out and remove the tires before leaving it here". I say's ok,when I dump I'll pull it out and take it back home. "NOOOO, I can't let you in with that in your trailer,you'll have to turn around and leave then remove it. I says,can I pull over to the side,pull it out,throw it in back of truck then go dump? "Nope,you will either make a mess on my lot or throw it away while down there". I could write a book from my years at the dump but here's a real sweetheart. Ask her something like "has 2wheel drive vehicles been making it in and out ok after yesterdays heavy rains?" Or "what time are the gates locked Tuesday"? Rather than simply answering,she break's into laughter while explaining undesiraible things you might face related to the question. I know the difference between people looking out for their employer's ( in this case,taxpayers) interests and going out of their way to torment folks for their own selfish reasons.

Last edited:
   / How do you tarp a trailer? #22  
Jaxs: you hit it spot on about the Dump Nazi's. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try my best to make friends with them on the first trip but sometimes by the next trip the 'fresh crop' has graduated from 'customer service' school and I have to start over again.

SOME dumps I use in rural areas are better.

TBS

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #23  
On to the topic of tarping; many areas I've been in, cops will ticket you for having an untarped load of trash well before arriving at the dump. Some dumps even call and let the police know they're sending away an untarped load.

It was apparently unsafe to drive with so they send you away to drive more with it??.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #24  
Our transfer site is VERY strict,,
so,, I tarp with filled trash bags,, nothing can fly off,,,

keXYXnh.jpg

:laughing:

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #25  
It was apparently unsafe to drive with so they send you away to drive more with it??.

According to them, having the loads tarped cuts down on trash that blows out along the roadways. It's more of a littering thing than a safety thing.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #26  
On the coast, the local transfer stations are very expensive for most categories of trash. It is not a wealthy community so a lot of folks just dump stuff in ravines at night. Also, the rules for segregating recycling and other materials are not that easy to figure out and laborious to comply with. So that is another incentive for roadside dumping. Getting in and out with a trailer can be difficult and the employees can be a bit cranky.

I go back and forth between the coast and Sacramento often, so I just take the dump trailer full of whatever to the transfer station there. It is considerably less expensive, about 20-25% of the cost on the coast. And compliance with the segregation rules is easier too. Getting in and out is easy and the employees are easy to work with. Then I bring back topsoil or lumber or whatever on the return trip, everything is cheaper in Sacramento.

One thing I do not understand is the objection to proper tarping. I think the dump operators are right to reject untarped loads, it can create a public nuisance and road hazard and needs to be discouraged. I got a roll tarp with the dump trailer and it is literally two minutes of work to cover the load or remove the tarp. Why take a chance on leaving your crud on the highway or getting a ticket. Or struggle with ad hoc arrangements every time you move a load.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #27  
Depending on what you're hauling, the rollup tarps built onto the dump trailers will tear as easily as any other tarp. Many don't want the expense of replacing the rollup tarps, so they go with the $10 poly tarps. The $10 poly tarps are not a two minute process to secure. When I can find a sale on cheap tarps the proper size, I buy several so they can be disposed of as they get tore up. I've still not invested what SureTrac wanted for one of their rollup tarps to fit my 5x10 7k trailer.

/ How do you tarp a trailer? #28  
I take care to have nails and other sharp stuff pointed down or buried in the load. Or I save out some yard waste to use as the top layer. I have used the same one for years with no rips yet. I sure would not want to replace the tarp either. But so far so good.