How does a glow plug work?

/ How does a glow plug work?
So our last snow storm was not snow but freezing rain.
Lots of hanging trees and broken limbs. Great for me the temp was just below freezing so tractor started each time. Still no glow plug on dash though.
Been starting it like that for last 2 weeks. Yesterday the glow plugs lite started working again. ?? Today we get another 12 " on snow but haven't tried the tractor yet!!

Yesterday I tried to start the tractor and glow plugs not working again. It was -12C .I did get it started by cranking it over for 15-20 seconds. Im thinking maybe a wiring issue somewhere . Not thinking it s a modual but who knows.

/ How does a glow plug work? #35  
How’s your temp gauge working?
I’m wondering if the temp sensor is not working properly, would it cause the system to not call for glo heat? Looks like the light is connected closely to the water temp sensor. Could be rodent damage to wires causing intermittent issues?

Bought the tractor with 100 hrs on it from KIJIJI .Tractors 11 years old . In 11 years I never seen the temp gauge move . Never budged even in the hottest days of summer running it all day. I have no clue it it works! But after seeing the schematic it had crossed my mind a few times.
Last 15 times it started the glow plugs have worked.

Bought the tractor with 100 hrs on it from KIJIJI .Tractors 11 years old . In 11 years I never seen the temp gauge move . Never budged even in the hottest days of summer running it all day. I have no clue it it works! But after seeing the schematic it had crossed my mind a few times.
Last 15 times it started the glow plugs have worked..

Well been a year almost since I was on this thread. The glow plugs worked ever day since last Feb. Today the coldest day yet at -17C NO GLOW PLUGS again. Once it warmed up to -5C the plugs started to work again. My dealer told me last year to just apply 12 volts to the plug terminals for 10-15 seconds and start the tractor. I tried that today but didn't work . Wasn't sure if I had a good ground.

What would cause the glow plugs not to work when its cold???

/ How does a glow plug work? #38  
I would suggest getting a new temperature sensor and trying to get your temperature gauge working.
Also you may very well have a separate sensor for water temperature for the glow plug controller.
On my Branson it has two different sensors and the resistances are different on both, you could even swap the wires on the two sensors and see what happens.

Edited to add: also your safety interlock switches have to be made for the glow plugs to work.

/ How does a glow plug work? #39  
I would suggest getting a new temperature sensor and trying to get your temperature gauge working.
Also you may very well have a separate sensor for water temperature for the glow plug controller.
On my Branson it has two different sensors and the resistances are different on both, you could even swap the wires on the two sensors and see what happens.

Edited to add: also your safety interlock switches have to be made for the glow plugs to work.

If the glow plugs are tied into thermostats, sensors and the ECM, it can get complicated. I had to disconnect my glow plugs from the ECM and install a manual switch for them. It was tied to an air temp sensor, a water temp sensor, a timer, the key switch and the tractor ECM.

/ How does a glow plug work? #40  
Hard to believe..... 5 amp for 4 plugs?.... ITs probably the control circuit to operate a relay someplace else.... I would expect at least 10 amp per plug, 4 in parallel would be 40 amp...
Low voltage control. You are correct.