How Does a Tractor "Ride"?

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #1  

airbiscuit

Tractor
New Holland T2310, Kubota L3010 GST, New Holland TC21DA, Farmall H *** Previously - 1941 John Deere B, Shibaura SD1500, John Deere 850, Bobcat 642, New Holland 1925
Occasionally I here comments about how a tractor rides. Other than narrow narrow tractors being less stable on side hills, air suspension seats being nicer, is there a lot of variation about how a tractor rides?

On a related discussion, how do different tire configurations "ride"

R1 Agricultural Tires
R3 Turf Tires
R4 Industrial Tires
Loaded vs Air Only Tires

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #2  
My tractor is a 2009 Kubota M6040 - weighs 10,100 pounds - has a HD 820 pound grapple on the FEL - R1 tires - rear tires loaded with 1550 pounds of Rimguard and a 1050 pound rear blade hanging off the 3-point. Going down my gravel driveway with the - not yet repaired winter potholes - it rides somewhat rougher than my 2006 TJ Jeep.

On the county road - it feels the same as my Jeep. Except there is more tire noise than the Jeep makes.

I only have experience with R1 tires on this tractor. I have R3 tires on my riding lawn mower but there is no way you could compare the ride of the two vehicles.

I have no exacting data but JMHO - R1 tires because of their tread design probably have the roughest - most jarring ride of the tires you have listed.

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"?
My speculation on tires is...

R3 Turfs - are the softest ride - tight tread spacing - more air cushiony (opposite of low profile)
R1s Ags - have the most vibration/stutter on hard surfaces due to all the space between the traction bars
R4s Industrials - the harshest bumps due to the stiffest sidewalls

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #4  
In theory at least on a smaller tractor - ballast consisting of iron weights on the wheels will ride better than tires loaded with liquid. Because liquid reduces the casing flexing.

(But in many cases you need both).

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #5  
My speculation on tires is...

R3 Turfs - are the softest ride - tight tread spacing - more air cushiony (opposite of low profile)
R1s Ags - have the most vibration/stutter on hard surfaces due to all the space between the traction bars
R4s Industrials - the harshest bumps due to the stiffest sidewalls

Many compact tractors have a simple seat with a hinged front and the back of the seat sitting on two coil springs. There is enough space between the two coil springs to add a third spring, sponge block, or even a damper.

I run all my tractors with less than the recommended tire pressure to soften the ride. No problems doing that.

Another thing that helps is to lube, adjust, or replace the front axle center pivot to reduce the front end bounce over ruts. That is often overlooked, and really makes a difference with a loader.
rScotty

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #6  
My L3700 has R4s and ride is harsh.. I had looked into a suspension seat change over but I think it was in the $1,000.00 range to do so. ..if I used it every day, I would probably do it. But where the hours are only 30-40 a year on it, I can live with it.

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #7  
My L3700 has R4s and ride is harsh.. I had looked into a suspension seat change over but I think it was in the $1,000.00 range to do so. ..if I used it every day, I would probably do it. But where the hours are only 30-40 a year on it, I can live with it.

Someone in the reviews made this suspension seat fit a BX. I figure if it'll fit a narrow BX it should fit most any CUT. The price is pretty good, on sale for $330, and so are the reviews.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200268424_200268424

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #8  

While I guessing that tires make a difference, I think that the "tire effects" pale in comparison to the "seat effects." The ride on my B2320 with R4s is brutal compared to the ride on my TN 55 with R1s. Like you, I don't put that many hours on my CUT, but I'm seriously considering a seat upgrade.

Steve

Last edited:
   / How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #9  
Jeez, I knew that "ride" and other creature comforts like heated seats, sound systems, blue tooth and power everything had taken over the sissified truck market; where the market caters to road queens that want to drive (have the drive of) a car, but need the physical appearance of a truck for personal identity (& gender insecurity) reasons .

...but now tractors too?! :D

Ok, whatever, its 2018. A good seat is probably best. I don't know what best tire giver best ride, but these are probably the worst.
Steel wheels.jpg

/ How Does a Tractor "Ride"? #10  
Almost all that I have used have been R1 tires a couple of smaller tractors with R4's;
on the roads I haven't seen much difference from the tread differences,
higher ply tires will be stiffer then lower,
radials will be smoother then bias,
Only air compare to filled the air will be smother,
the main difference in fields and woods is the tire height the taller the tire, the better the ride.
Anytime that you compare tire ride and traction the taller the tire the better,
the holes and bumps that will pitch you about on 24 inch (rim) tires are almost unnoticeable with a 38 inch (rim)
and when you get a 42 with radials the same field is smooth.