How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #21  
Does anyone in your area do custom cutting to obtain desirable hardwoods? It may be worth a search to see if someone will cut them in exchange for the wood. You will probably be left with a lot of slash and stumps to clean up though.

The only on-line supplier I could find was asking more than $10.00 a BF.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #22  
I'm taking a couple of big osage out today. Large track loader and stump bucket. Pics of a few big oaks I've removed. Hardest part about Osage can be clearing enough lower branches to dig around them. It makes for excellent fire wood also.

Edit: will add that if you are talking about a lot of them a large excavator with thumb would be my choice. Can easily dig them out and pile them using the thumb to pick them up.

Screenshot_20211223-085244_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211223-085332_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211223-084317_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20211223-084214_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
   / How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #23  
Some pretty good idea's. Some a little far fetched. I am sold on the track device and no tires. Great advise about NO KNEELING DOWN. Those thorns will really tear you up. I'm not so concerned about the tree stumps. I just want to remove the upper area that is blocking the sun from hitting the garden area. I have a small Kubota BX23S but I'm afraid of those thorns puncturing the tires.
Even after cutting down, there will be many branches with thorns on them. More then likely I'll burn, but it's getting them out of there without leaving the area full of thorns.

Good comments.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #24  
This is not the case with you but it was common these were planted along boundary lines hence the reason fence in them. The fence was put up before the hedge trees were grown up. Used to be very common in my area but most have been bulldozed out.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #25  
I'm not so concerned about the tree stumps. I just want to remove the upper area that is blocking the sun from hitting the garden area.
If not concerned about stumps then a chainsaw and trackloader with grapple would work. If anyone rents a tree sheer a trackloader with a rotating tree sheer would be even better for cutting and removing the upper branches. Can cut the upper branches and move all from the seat.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #26  
tree sheer a trackloader ---- Yes, this would be what I would be looking for. I'll be able to get a head start looking, now for Spring.
I don't know if anyone rents, but it would be perfect.
I've seen other buckets that dig under the roots and the steer lifts them out of the ground. That could work, but it looks like a lot of work.
I have a chipper that fits on the back of my BX Kubota but I am not so sure that I wouldn't be chipping alot of branches and throwing thorns everywhere.
Thirty years ago this was a great idea, now it is becoming a nightmare.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #27  
Hedge is top iof the charts for firewood. You might be able to get a wood cutter interested in doing the removal for you. What to do about the thorns left on the ground? i dunno. I removed ONE very small thornless honey locust from my windbreak - it reverted to ltype. I was still getting flats 3-4 years later.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #28  
I've seen other buckets that dig under the roots and the steer lifts them out of the ground. That could work, but it looks like a lot of work.
I dropped both of my hedge today using the stump bucket. 1st was 45" at the ground and 2nd was 30". Took some pics and video. Will get them posted for you later tonight or tomorrow.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #29  
Some pretty good idea's. Some a little far fetched. I am sold on the track device and no tires. Great advise about NO KNEELING DOWN. Those thorns will really tear you up. I'm not so concerned about the tree stumps. I just want to remove the upper area that is blocking the sun from hitting the garden area. I have a small Kubota BX23S but I'm afraid of those thorns puncturing the tires.
Even after cutting down, there will be many branches with thorns on them. More then likely I'll burn, but it's getting them out of there without leaving the area full of thorns.

Good comments.
Depending on your hurry, ring them with a chainsaw, throw in all your other brush, wait till next fall and burn them in place?

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #30  
Osage staves for longbows can bring 100 bucks apiece, That large of trees would get lots of staves , I would advertise them.