How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #41  
My god that looks like something from a monster movie. Really, that tree is for real?
Unfortunately it is and we have plenty. These are about the only trees that have given my tractor flat tires here. If you get stuck be prepared for swelling and joint pain if anywhere near a knuckle or finger joint. Been stuck by many over the years. After laying dead for a year the thorns come off easily though and actually makes great firewood and splits easily.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #42  
The track loader digs the trees out fairly quickly. Checked your post again. Sped up the video - 3X. Thought perhaps - too much coffee.

I gotta admit - the Honey Locust looks like a prop for a horror movie. I've never seen anything like that. And you have plenty of them. That is one fierce looking tree.

Makes me glad I only have Ponderosa pines here on my property.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #43  
Unfortunately it is and we have plenty. These are about the only trees that have given my tractor flat tires here. If you get stuck be prepared for swelling and joint pain if anywhere near a knuckle or finger joint. Been stuck by many over the years. After laying dead for a year the thorns come off easily though and actually makes great firewood and splits easily.
The thorns are actually covered by a bacteria that will cause infection deep inside the tissues, and can also cause sepsis.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #44  
The thorns are actually covered by a bacteria that will cause infection deep inside the tissues, and can also cause sepsis.
You can use the top side of your chain saw to skim the thorns off if using for firewood. Just don't accidentally catch them with the bottom side pulling toward you. They can shoot off like little missiles. Had one lodge just under a kneecap once. Swelling and joint pain for several days.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #45  
And now I have another thought. Depending on how I get them down, there will be many thorns on the ground. My scags tires have already proven that the thorns will penetrate the rubber. So I'm thinking about bringing in dirt and covering the area with it. Then planting wild flowers in that dirt. I would not use the grass cutter in that area and the flowers would mark the location.
What do you think?

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #46  
We don't have those around here, didn't even know what one was before this thread. I have seen it listed at or near the top of firewood charts.
Just looking at the pictures, even without the thorns, they look like they'd be a bear to cut & split for firewood (or use for much of anything)...lots of branches and not very straight.

Do they have fruit? Seems odd some call it an orange, others a type of apple tree.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #47  
And now I have another thought. Depending on how I get them down, there will be many thorns on the ground. My scags tires have already proven that the thorns will penetrate the rubber. So I'm thinking about bringing in dirt and covering the area with it. Then planting wild flowers in that dirt. I would not use the grass cutter in that area and the flowers would mark the location.
What do you think?
If the thorns are still green they may take root. Laugh, but they can reproduce vegetatively.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #48  
Thought that I'd add what we are talking about here. First one is the start, second one is the line up (about 50 of these trees and third is couple of the thickest. I planted around 25 to 30 years ago. guessing they are maybe 20 to 30 feet tall but thin at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 57
   / How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #49  
Just skim the surface with the loader bucket when finished. Final clean up with a landscape rake maybe if needed. I could take that entire row out with my track loader and stump bucket and one afternoon easily.

/ How does one remove tree rows of hedge apple #50  
You have that Case TV 540 right? 88 HP
Not sure if I'll tackle this year or 2022. Spring might be better. I gets pretty wet out there. And cold.
I'm in Wisconsin