How Dumb can I get?

/ How Dumb can I get? #1  

ToadHill

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35, Ford 8N, Oliver Cletrac
I was using the log splitter a few days ago and I was doing it by myself. Usually my grandson helps by standing across from me and when the log is first split he puts the back half on the frame until I get the front half split, then sets it on the bed and we split that. Like most splitters you have to hold the detent valve to split but the ram will reverse by itself.

Well being in a hurry as it was getting dark, I reached over the ram to get the second half of the log as the ram was reversing and my hand slipped off the wood so I grabbed it again and before I could lift it up the return ram crushed my right arm between it and the detent valve.

I was able to drop the wood and grab the valve with my left hand and pull it forward before my arm broke and before the ram reached the full reverse position but I have a heck of a bruse just below my elbow and some swelling and weakness.

I guess I better find a better way to do this if I'm alone again.

/ How Dumb can I get? #2  
Thanks for the heads up, have a bunch of wood to split this weekend, going to look over the splitter and check the ram return path for crush points. Very aware of the danger while splitting but never really though about the danger of the ram returning. My 13 year old son helps with the splitting, going to make sure I mention this to him as well.

A friend I went to college with lost the tips of his index and middle fingers on his right hand to a wood splitter. They tried to save them but they were too badly smashed to save. They reconstructed the tips as best as they could but he didn't have finger nails or any sensation in the lower portion of those two fingers. He said it didn't hurt while it was happening but passed out from the pain when he freed his hand and pulled his work glove off. Can't imagine what that must feel like, just a light hammer blow on the finger tip hurt's like he//.

Dave

Last edited:
   / How Dumb can I get? #3  
Good that you were able to get it stopped before more serious harm occured. Hope you heal up okay.
Before I built my splitter I looked at one someone else had built, one of the things I didn't like about it was how fast it was. I purposely built mine to travel, cycle, at a much slower rate so I wouldn't have to count my fingers after each split.

/ How Dumb can I get? #4  
THANKS Toad, for posting that story!! WOW, I'd certainly say you were lucky on that one! Your post will cause many of us to give that particular situation a little thought and more than likely "save" someone some "PAIN" this fall!!!!

CHEERS! ....and good luck to you! ....(One more point of value to this forum)
. . tug

/ How Dumb can I get? #5  
I guess I better find a better way to do this if I'm alone again.

might i suggest sit in a chair and look at it while you wait to be "not alone" when you operate it.

/ How Dumb can I get? #6  
ToadHill:

I'll only call you dumb if you purposely repeat this scenario. I'm glad 'Lady Luck' smiled on you as it could have been far worse.

We all goof when in a hurry and/or tired.

/ How Dumb can I get? #7  
Glad to here it was not worse. I allmost allways split alone the key to these types of things happening as you pointed out is...........IN A HURRY........ I don't think anyone is dumb that just got tired or in a hurry. This is just one of those cases were stuff happens. As we get tired or feel we can "just knock it out" we tend to lose site of what is safe.

/ How Dumb can I get? #8  
Before I bought my splitter I used to pick up a rental from Saturday around noon till Monday AM. The local place would only charge you one day for the weekend. I used to hustle to get all my wood split over that weekend. This often had me splitting while I should have been taking a break. I was normally pretty beat by the time I returned the splitter on Monday AM.

Now that I have my own splitter, if I feel tired or that I am rushing I shut it down and take a break. Most of my near mishaps have been a result of rushing and/or being tired.

Dave

/ How Dumb can I get? #9  
I forgot to mention: A couple yrs back I had my daughter And wife running the spliter/doing firewood. They were very carefull but ole dad was IN A HURRY, actually I was suppose to be doing something else. Well I ran accross a small FEL load of wood so I figured what the hey... I drove over with the load and figured I'd just knock it out quick, so that I could get out of their way. So I started shoving wood on kind of at an awkward postion. A few mistakes ended up ripping my finger nail completely off and busting the tip of the ole finger. I was in a hurry, figured I could just get it done, and didn't setup for a "Good Plan Of Attack".

I also found out that my type spliter has a bolt that sticks out on the wedge{my wedge moves}. This bolt is easy to miss if not paying attention and will catch on things{finger}. Someday I need to put some type of guard on it.

/ How Dumb can I get? #10  
Excuse me,..20-20,....never mind "someday",....do it NOW!!! 4-U-or your wife or daughter get hurt!! ........"AGAIN"!!!!! No offence man!!

CHEERS!
. . tug