Mowing How high do you mow your lawn

/ How high do you mow your lawn #61  
I keep mine at 3 inches in the summer unless We are short on rain fall. Then I will cut it 4 inches.

/ How high do you mow your lawn #62  
For a couple years I had been mowing at 3". It's a nice level when it's first cut, but after a few days it just looks like it's too long and needs to be cut, plus it's higher than your foot. Occasionally someone else would mow the lawn while I was gone and put it on 2", resulting in the grass looking thirsty. This year I started the season using 2" and it looks good, although with this endless rain....

Here's a picture of it on October 3rd, 2008, the day after I mowed it at 3":

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_dfBBQk0C62Y/SOdwXHvl1fI/AAAAAAAAACA/sTyK7MxPNvA/s640/DSC01201.JPG

/ How high do you mow your lawn #63  
Would there be any advantages to letting the grass 4" long going into winter?
Would that help insulate the roots from freezing? Or is it correct to cut the grass shorter on account of mold and matting?

I should point out that matting and mold typically occurs when the 7' snow piles/drifts finally melt in shaded areas. The longer the grass underneath the bigger the mess. At 2" is not very noticeable and it just goes away. At 4" it's quite noticeable and it goes away later. :)

/ How high do you mow your lawn #64  
I like to cut about 2 1/2 to 3". The lawn doesn't stress as much in the summer and also the longer length helps shade the weeds. In the fall I cut it at about 2 to 2 1/2" to help with leaf clean up and to help with over winter mold problems. This year has been a real challange because of the record rain fall amount. At at one point we went 9 days between mowing and even then parts of the yard had to be push mowed. I am very satisfied with the job our new BX2360 does. It has way more than enough power with the 60" deck and really shreds the clippings at the rated PTO speed.