How long does your truck last ?

/ How long does your truck last ? #21  
Back in 1995 I sold a 1 year old Dodge 2500 4x4 regular cab Cummins to a friend of mine. At the time it had about 15k miles on it. He still has it today with 300+k on it. He has replaced virtually everything on it at one time or another over the years,.. Except the motor,frame and axles. It has always been a daily driver and never really worked real hard.

/ How long does your truck last ? #22  
I have a 91 GMC Sonoma that I bought new in the fall of 1990 with 200K on it and still going strong. It is still my winter driving rig. No major issues with it.

/ How long does your truck last ? #23  
For most it seems the drivetrain will far outlast the sheet metal.

/ How long does your truck last ? #24  
Use and maintenance are really what makes a truck last or not last.
I have a 98 Ram with the 5.9 diesel, bought it new. Has 120,000 miles on it, looks and runs like a brand new truck. It's always in the garage when not in use and I always spray it off after I go sledding. (it's usually covered with salt) I do all my own maintenance on a regular basis.
View attachment 480039

Nice trailer

/ How long does your truck last ? #25  
There's tons of the modular Ford V8s with ridiculous amounts of miles on them. When I was shopping earlier this summer for an Econoline van, i saw several with over 300k for sale. One picture of an odometer that read 456,xxx. I also stumbled across this page where an expediter put 1.3 million on his Econoline with a 5.4 v8. Never changed the transmission fluid, never rebuilt the engine, just kept going. They put those things in taxis and squad cars too. Talk about a demanding application.

Million Mile Van

Nowadays, it seems like it's something other than the engine that fails. Usually, more stuff needs replacing them the value of the vehicle, so we send them down the road. Every engine has it's issues, but they've really gotten pretty good at making them run for a long long time, usually while making lots of power and decent fuel economy too. The 5.4 in my van has similar mileage and lots more power than the 300 6 in my pickup. The '01 van has 239k, the 90 truck has 165k. Both 3/4 tons.

/ How long does your truck last ? #26  
As a contractor, I need my truck to make money, and I need it to be reliable 100% of the time. When my 98 F250 started getting close to 200,000 miles, I started having issues with it. Lots of little things that I was fixing almost monthly. When it hit 200,000 miles I felt I was driving on borrowed time, so I traded it in on a brand new 2012 F150. The dealer offered me a grand for it, I held out for $2,500, which they eventually agreed to. I now have more power, more room, more features and a lot better gas mileage. My goal is to keep this one for at least 200,000 miles, hopefully more. It just depends on what I start having to fix, and how often it happens.

/ How long does your truck last ? #27  
I'm still driving a 2002 F250 7.3 with 285,000 miles on it. It's about time for injectors and I've had to do the wear parts and a turbo but, otherwise no problems at all. Fortunately, I'm in the South so road salt and rust aren't an issue for me. I expect to have this truck to at least 500,000 miles, I don't know what I'll replace it with if it ever wears out. I definitely don't want a newer diesel and all the emissions nonsense.

/ How long does your truck last ? #28  
Not a lot of miles on my F-250, but at 32 years old, rust in the upper cab corners is finally taking its toll. 168,000 miles on the original 6.9 diesel with C-6 tranny.

Drivetrain for what it is still runs great, all vitals are normal, AC still blows cold.

last year I hauled loads up to 4200 pounds multiple times, and it never missed a beat.

It's past its second paint job, looks terrible, but just won't die.

/ How long does your truck last ? #29  
Well I agree on the salt problem. At 12 years old My 2003 GMC Sierra had the brake lines and fuel lines totally rotted away. I replaced them all as I have decided to try any keep the truck another 8 years minimum as it runs excellent (Only 105k miles, but always stored outdoors). Rockers and cab corners are starting to spot as well. Gonna hillbilly tiger hair those.

Drove all the new trucks of interest to me in March 2016 and they were nice, but not $40K better than what I already have. Hoping that $40K saved and wisely invested can move up my retirement date up a few years sooner.

/ How long does your truck last ? #30  
Most vehicles can easily reach 300k miles if well maintained. That being said the higher the mileage gets the more little things you need to fix. My dad when he was alive traveled a lot for work. He bought new or very slight used chevy half tons with gas motors and drove them to 250k miles and traded. He did this to 3 or 4 trucks and had good luck with all of them though he did change the oil religiously. He had to replace a lot of alternators, water pumps, AC compressors, brakes, shocks, etc over the years. He never had any engine troubles other than bolt on accessories.

It all depends on what you want the truck for. If breaking down from time to time and possibly being stranded are not a big concern then go for it. I have gone to buying only brand new trucks and trading them before the warranty is up. The reason is we use them for work and usually there are 5-6 guys in them counting on the trucks to get work done and the down time due to a broke down truck costs thousands in wages, lost production, etc. It is cheaper for us to buy new and lose the money on the new truck vs always fixing things.