How many tractors in your neighborhood?

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #71  
Well I'm down to 2 at my place, contemplating on a third a small one.
Over at the farm a bit over a dozen (13-14) and another joining the flock shortly a JD 4430.
Most neighbors have at least one or several.

Define "Small." My guess is that it still will be as big or bigger than what some of us have for our only tractor.

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #72  
Here in the NE, suburbs of CT. 3 including me. 1 Kubota bx 25 and my good friend and neighboor with a late 70s Sato buck 2wd that can pull a house down which inspired me to get the emax.

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #73  
I'd like to see pics or a video of that. Why is that preferred over a trailer, wagon or pickup?

airbiscuit and grsthegreat

I will try and get a pic or vid for you but it may take time. Most properties are virtually in recess at present. Very quiet.
As far as benefits goes, I would think that they can turn a lot quicker than normal steering. My brother from NZ visited recently and his eyes popped out of his head when he saw them. Can't get punctures if they aint got wheels.. :)

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #74  
Almost everyone in my neighborhood has at least one tractor except for the Amish. They have 1hp tractors :)

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #75  
There are quite a few tractors here with no front wheels. They have permanent trailers fitted and steer by independent braking.

I'd like to see pics or a video of that. Why is that preferred over a trailer, wagon or pickup?

Do a search on Valmet forwarders and you'll find some pictures similar to what he is talking about. A lot of those steer by means of hydraulic cylinders between the trailer and the tractor, but the concept is similar.

I've seen a few old 2-wheel tractors around, but they are not common in any place I've lived. At one point, I was following a guy on YouTube who was converting and old 2WD tractor into a 2 wheel tractor with trailer, but I seem to have lost that link.

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #76  
Almost everyone in my neighborhood has at least one tractor except for the Amish. They have 1hp tractors :)

i have a 2 HP unit myself spreading poo 2.jpg IMG_0337 small.jpg manure 3 small.jpg cde.jpg

The last one is the wife and I competing in a CDE event. it made a magazine cover

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #77  
I'm at the end of 4 miles of dirt road in the woods of Vermont. It wasn't until after I got a tractor that I realized just about 1/3 of my neighbors on the worst/last road offshoot have tractors. Mostly smaller tractors, mostly smaller properties. Some have horses, some just use them for landscaping and mowing. Most have 10+ acres, I'd guess. Once you have enough land in the middle of nowhere with 10,000 neighboring trees dropping onto the road and property, it sure is nice to have a tractor.

[Update, only after posting to I see there are many pages of replies and that the topic was years' old. Oh well!]

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #78  
The Valmet forwarders are quite different. These are normal mid-size tractors with the standard rear wheels and front axles removed.

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #79  
The Valmet forwarders are quite different. These are normal mid-size tractors with the standard rear wheels and front axles removed.

Yeah, I was just trying to give him an idea of the concept, and could not find a good picture. I knew someone in upstate NY who had done that with an old tractor, but don't have any pictures.

/ How many tractors in your neighborhood? #80  
No Problem, I drove past a few farms today and only a couple of JDs in sight. Very quiet on the home front.