How much oil should my truck use?

/ How much oil should my truck use? #11  
Our DMax will randomly burn a quart of oil between fill ups.... Dealer could never find a problem.

It will go for months with no issue and then boom, down a quart.

We used to have a 40' Bounder motorhome with a 1991 Ford 460 cu. in. gas engine. As long as I drove it every day or even just every 4 or 5 days, never needed to add oil between changes, but if we left it sitting for a month in one place, the next time I filled it with gas, I'd have to add at least one quart of oil, and sometimes two.

/ How much oil should my truck use?
Thanks to all for your input.
I suspect it was low from the dealer and maybe burned some.
I tried to log on to Chevy but got in an endless loop of password reset and BS until I gave up.
I called the 800 number. Got a accent I have a VERY hard time understanding, whom can not verify I even have my truck. Whom told me I had to wait on hold for 5 minutes to talk to a supervisor. Then came back after 5 minutes to tell me there is no supervisor, and to tell me what fuel to use.
I once again explained to him that the fuel is not the issue and my concern is with the oil.

Now he wants me to talk to my local dealer so my local dealer can tell me if the other dealer under filled the crankcase.
While I am typing this I talked to the local dealer who said there is no way they can make that determination. (go figure)
But they did say if I bring it in they can test it to see if it is burning oil.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #13  
Turbos and diesels use oil, it's just how it is. It's not uncommon for my 7.3 to use 4 - 6 quarts between oil changes, which I do every 7500 miles with an oil analysis, but my truck holds 16 quarts and won't even register low on the dipstick until I'm almost 4 quarts low. 4 quarts in a 10 quart system sounds a little high but, it could be within the norm. My BMW is also a turbo and it's within spec for it to use as much as 1 quart every 500 miles. This is generally the result of running high boost and pushing the engine but, it's still considered normal.

I'd ask the dealer or look in the manual to see what GM says is acceptable use and just get in the habit of checking it every time you fill up to see if a pattern emerges.

My factory remanned 12.7L Detroit 60 with 560,000 miles on the reman uses about 2 qts in 22,500 mile OCI's. So I would have to say that not all turbos and diesels use oil. That engine was on 15w40 syn blend for quite a while, but has been getting 10w30 syn blend for about a year. Same oil consumption with either oil. The Cummins ISX 15L I had before used, maybe, 1 gallon in 25,000 miles at 968,000 miles. Next owner put it right to work. My worse offender... a '96 Cummins N-14.. used about a gallon in 7000-8000 miles. But then, it had 1.4 million miles on it and only repairs to the motor were one injector and an accessory drive seal. Same thing... it went right to work for the next owner. While OEM's and others might throw out what is considered "normal", I am not so inclined to believe them.

Picked up on a 2006 Cadillac CTS 3.6 with 52,000 miles a few weeks ago and in immaculate condition. Lots of folks claim these motors "use" a lot of oil, and they do. Read all kinds of 1 qt in 1000-1500 mile stories and that it is "normal". But I cleaned the MAF and Throttle Body, did a CRC Intake Valve Cleaner job on the top side, did an engine oil flush and changed oil and filter. The kicker was, I put on a Elite Engineering PCV oil catch can on the engine. I think I found where the oil is going that they are "using". This is the result of just one week / 240 miles, almost 2 oz. Getting sucked thru the PCV tube is not my idea of "using" oil by the engine. The level of what the Elite can captures virtually mirrors what the engine is "using". So essentially, the engine is actually nice and tight and not using any oil at all. But it is "consuming" it.

IMG_4404.jpg

/ How much oil should my truck use? #14  
Neither of my Duramax use any oil between changes at 10,000 miles. The 03 has 210,000 miles and the 08 has 125,000 miles.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #15  
All the more reason to check everything that someone else has worked on for you, especially the dealer. I do and have found tools under the hood, bolds loose and some parts not even re-installed.

DEWFPO

/ How much oil should my truck use? #16  
I'd say they shorted you on oil, but I'd not be worried about it. Those engines hold much more oil than is needed for daily driving. The entire reason for 10 quarts is for when the engine is under extreme load at high RPMs, or being operated at extreme angles.

Extreme load at high RPMs will quickly overheat the oil if there is only as much oil as the engine is cycling through for lubrication. Having extra oil in the reservoir allows the oil to cool some before being picked back up by the sump and sent through the engine again.

For extreme angles, it helps to have extra oil in the pan so the sump can stay submerged and provide a steady flow of oil.

Either way, a large portion of the oil is intended to stay in the pan, you just had less. For typical driving I'd say you were safe from damaging your engine. If you have been running hard with a heavy load, or off road at some extreme angles, then perhaps I'd have some concerns. But without a light or other indicator, I think you're fine.

/ How much oil should my truck use?
I managed to find a receipt from the first oil change in Jackson Mississippi. I called the service manager and told him of my concerns.
He said the markings on the dip stick are not maximum or minimum marks, but are operating marks. Not sure what the difference is but it was important to him.
He said they usually put in about 8 quarts and check if it is the operating range.
So, it seems the dealer shorted me on the oil change. Does not surprise me since he did not rotate the tires nor fill the def fluid.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #18  
I managed to find a receipt from the first oil change in Jackson Mississippi. I called the service manager and told him of my concerns.
He said the markings on the dip stick are not maximum or minimum marks, but are operating marks. Not sure what the difference is but it was important to him.
He said they usually put in about 8 quarts and check if it is the operating range.
So, it seems the dealer shorted me on the oil change. Does not surprise me since he did not rotate the tires nor fill the def fluid.

Like others have wrote -
Trust but verify.

My VW dealer routinely overfills the engine, I have them suck it back out.
I've found cloth rags jammed down by the engine.
They always have some off the wall flippin' excuse and it's gotten pretty much that I have to do my own maintenance because there are so few that don't mess up.

It might help to get a bumper sticker that proclaims "I sue for poor performance".

/ How much oil should my truck use? #19  
I make sure the level is correct on the dipstick most of the time. I can drain the oil in a plastic tub and refill the filter and crankcase. Just about all the time I will not have as much used oil as the new oil I put in.

One would expect the quantities should be the same, but that seems to happen to me all the time. I guess I will check it again to make sure in 3k miles.

My Duramax doesn't use much at all between changes.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #20  
I'd say they shorted you on oil, but I'd not be worried about it. Those engines hold much more oil than is needed for daily driving. The entire reason for 10 quarts is for when the engine is under extreme load at high RPMs, or being operated at extreme angles.

Extreme load at high RPMs will quickly overheat the oil if there is only as much oil as the engine is cycling through for lubrication. Having extra oil in the reservoir allows the oil to cool some before being picked back up by the sump and sent through the engine again.

For extreme angles, it helps to have extra oil in the pan so the sump can stay submerged and provide a steady flow of oil.

Either way, a large portion of the oil is intended to stay in the pan, you just had less. For typical driving I'd say you were safe from damaging your engine. If you have been running hard with a heavy load, or off road at some extreme angles, then perhaps I'd have some concerns. But without a light or other indicator, I think you're fine.

it helps to have extra oil in the pan so the sump can stay submerged and provide a steady flow of oil.

just a little clarification
The sump IS the pan-
I think you are referring to the oil pump pick up tube/screen being submerged.

Agree with everything else

ps Had a similar ( oil) experience with My 3500 Rams Cummins
tried a Kubota (cummins) spec filter ( Fleetguard LF9028) ( nephew read they worked better on the Cummins Forum)

checked the oil at 1700 miles after the oil filter change and it was low 3 full quarts.
i pulled that filter the same day and it was Not even 1/2 full?..?. went back to the standard Baldwin filter # that the truck had been using the previous 100k miles.
Already at over 4000 miles and the oil level has not moved... Have no explanation , but will stick with the Baldwin, nephew has another of the kubota Cummins engine filters and is determined to use it on his 2012 6.7 Cummins...

Last edited: