How much oil should my truck use?

/ How much oil should my truck use? #21  
Interesting to see the comments, and wonder how many of the offending motors are doing heavy hauling/running high miles. For sure there's a layer of oil left on the cylinder and mixing--usually minimally--with the fuel and blowing out the exhaust. I think we like to think every motor, filter and valve off the line is a carbon copy of the model, but there's always a range of tolerances, and sometimes they just add up bad.
That's a weird situation you described Bird--I'll bet you were keeping something sealed or stopping it from shrinking somewhere with regular heat and pounding.
I'm sure you'll watch it close now, and hopefully find that the dealership just filled you to the bottom of that allowed variance. Since you didn't mention idiot lights or ill effects, I think you can chalk it up to getting to know the new vehicle and not having a normal set for yourself yet.
If it does burn like that at low mileage, I'd be disappointed in the product and correspond with the dealer formally--just in case its a dud.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #22  
Let's look at what was posted. The Dealer changed the oil. 5,000 or 6,000 miles later (guessing here miles not given) the owner changed the oil and only drained six quarts of oil out of the truck. What?????. The owner drove the truck from one oil change to the next and never checked the oil?????? I check my oil at least weekly when I change the oil. I check it when I get home if the dealer changes the oil and then check it weekly the same as when I change it.

I hope people will learn from this and start checking the oil in the vehicle they drive.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #23  
Let's look at what was posted. The Dealer changed the oil. 5,000 or 6,000 miles later (guessing here miles not given) the owner changed the oil and only drained six quarts of oil out of the truck. What?????. The owner drove the truck from one oil change to the next and never checked the oil?????? I check my oil at least weekly when I change the oil. I check it when I get home if the dealer changes the oil and then check it weekly the same as when I change it.

I hope people will learn from this and start checking the oil in the vehicle they drive.
:thumbsup:

/ How much oil should my truck use? #24  
We have two 2016 duramax diesel GMCs. Neither one uses any oil during the 5,000 mile oil change intervals we are using. Your dealer shorted you. The dealer is full of crap on the 8 quarts. The engine specs are for 10.1 quarts. Call GM customer care and tell them the dealer thinks it is ok to change oil in your 50k truck and skimp out on two quarts of oil.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #25  
Older diesels burned oil as a norm, if I remember right up to 0.5% of fuel burn was acceptable. In other words for every 100 gallons of fuel you could be adding a half quart and be okay. At Deutz we said 1.2% after break in but possibly 3% new. With emissions requirements the allowable is near zero and is warrantable if excessive within the emissions warranty (like 5,000 hours on our large tractors). My BMW turbo diesel burned nothing between changes nor do the gasses I now have - if I had one that used a quart per 500 miles I would be at the dealer's throat.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #26  

I have to admit, reading through the posts thinking; when is somebody going to say something about never checking the oil? I am guilty myself of not checking as often as I should. You get spoiled when you have vehicles that don't use oil and you feel as if it is a waste of time to check it because it never needs oil. I once had a Ford Ranger with 2.3 liter engine that used a quart every 300-400 miles. I'm glad that engine had a level sensor in the pan that alerted me when the oil got about a quart and a half low or I probably would have blown the engine the first 1000 miles I had it. It didn't smoke either. Dealer tore it down and found all the ring end gaps were lined up causing the oil usage. After that it only used about a quart over the length of oil change of 3000 miles at that time. Even if you have an engine you trust that doesn't burn oil, leaks do occur sometimes and the price of not checking is too great to ignore it.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #27  
I have to admit, reading through the posts thinking; when is somebody going to say something about never checking the oil? I am guilty myself of not checking as often as I should. You get spoiled when you have vehicles that don't use oil and you feel as if it is a waste of time to check it because it never needs oil. I once had a Ford Ranger with 2.3 liter engine that used a quart every 300-400 miles.<snip>

Like I wrote earlier, trust but verify.

I had a '67 Plymouth Valiant 6 cylinder which I drove from Maine to the West coast the summer of 1974. Starting out I got 150 miles or better to the QUART. Coming back about 4 months later it was down to 65 miles to the QUART. I left a trail of smoke across the country.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #28  
The oil level sensor should be separate from the pressure system. On my Taurus it's on the side of the pan. Not familiar with the OP's engine.

/ How much oil should my truck use?
There was a question about the miles on the vehicle. Most modern vehicles tell you when to change the oil and the owner does not have to count the miles. But, if it is important to you, the first oil change was around 7200 miles and the second was around 7500 after that and I have less than 15000 miles total in 6 months.

There is something like a sensor on the side of the pan. My guess is that is what it is.

Check my oil?
I check the level on my mowers, and on my tractors every time I used them. That is because there is oil residue on the engines, they use oil, and there is not any reliable shutdown or indicator. But as far as my cars, trucks and motorcycles (except my '01 Tahoe). They do not have any oil residue on the engine there are no oil drops on the concrete.
It seems to me that it would be silly to check them every time I used them. I do check the Tahoe about every 2 months, and the slight seepage from the rear main is not enough to add a quart in 6 months.
Now, this being my first Duramax, and finding there was a shortage of used oil, I was a little concerned, hence my question.
I thank everyone for there positive input and helpfulness.

I have learned to check the oil after someone else changes it for me. I believe this is going to be a great engine. I do also appreciate it being pointed out that if the engine is using oil it would be an EPA emissions warranty issue.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the help.

/ How much oil should my truck use? #30  
Older diesels burned oil as a norm, if I remember right up to 0.5% of fuel burn was acceptable. In other words for every 100 gallons of fuel you could be adding a half quart and be okay. At Deutz we said 1.2% after break in but possibly 3% new. With emissions requirements the allowable is near zero and is warrantable if excessive within the emissions warranty (like 5,000 hours on our large tractors). My BMW turbo diesel burned nothing between changes nor do the gasses I now have - if I had one that used a quart per 500 miles I would be at the dealer's throat.

I don't want to quibble, but wouldn't 0.5% of 100 gal. be one half gallon, or two quarts?