How much trailer weight can my tractor tow?

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #21  
Don't overthink this... The tractor will pull/move anything it can till it won't... Tractor is made for pulling, that is why it has different gearing so in can pull resistive loads as disks and plows and scrapers.... Trailer is not going to be resistive load once it starts to move...

My main concern would be two things "steering" and ability to "brake"...

As for steering if steering is light you can either add weight in FEL to put more down pressure on front wheels or lessen tongue weight of trailer to allow more weight on front of tractor (reduce cantilever effect) ...Always pull/tow from fixed draw bar and not 3PH...

As for Braking (stopping) a whole different story, to heavy of a load on trailer can easily overcome braking ability of tractor, it's called inertia...... IF no brakes on trailer keep loads light.. If trailer has electric brakes it would be simple task to add a brake controller to tractor to activate trailer brakes.... No brake lights on tractor(?) ... If none then there is no brake light switch... SO add one, there is probably a dozen universal brake light switches that could be adapted to pedal or linkagers.... Some controllers have manual control activation along with brake lights switch activation... As for wiring there is a probably a 100 videos and such on youtube and trailer towing and trailer parts sites to guide you through process........

And if you will be on public roads you will probably what to wire thou brake lights and turn signals to trailer...

Last edited:
   / How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #22  
It is going to depend tremendously on conditions such as terrain, as others have said. You made me curious so I just looked it up: pulling a train at low, railroad yard speeds, on flat straight track, takes 2 to 3 lbs per ton of train weight. Rubber tires on dry pavement achieve a coefficient of friction of about 0.7. So, your 8000 lb tractor should be able to deliver 5600 lbs of tractive force (if you engage all wheels in a gear low enough to spin them), which at 2.5 lbs per ton gets you a train weighing nearly four and a half million pounds.

Of course, you're going to have to de-rate that, depending....

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #23  
I was pulling a small dump trailer with 200 gallons of water on my property. Dew on ground and I forgot to put in 4WD. Started going down a 'gentle' hill and the rig decided to have a mind of its own and took me for a ride. Obviously in 2WD, you have no brakes in the front tires. I was very fortunate that the rig didn't jack knife and potentially flip me over. Be very careful on slopes!!
Our 7,000# tractor weighs 14,500# empty, no plows. Makes life better.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #24  
It is going to depend tremendously on conditions such as terrain, as others have said. You made me curious so I just looked it up: pulling a train at low, railroad yard speeds, on flat straight track, takes 2 to 3 lbs per ton of train weight. Rubber tires on dry pavement achieve a coefficient of friction of about 0.7. So, your 8000 lb tractor should be able to deliver 5600 lbs of tractive force (if you engage all wheels in a gear low enough to spin them), which at 2.5 lbs per ton gets you a train weighing nearly four and a half million pounds.

Of course, you're going to have to de-rate that, depending....
At the steel mill, moved train cars for years with an 8N. I know, I bought the 8N from them.
I've got a New Holland PowerStar 75. It's about 8,000 lbs counting the FEL. It's got 16.9R30s on the back. I'm able to add about 2,000 lbs with the front forks carrying a 275 gallon IBC tote for water weight and balance.

My question is, how heavy of a trailer can I tow using either the 3PH (~3,500 lbs capacity) or the draw bar itself. I'm not able to find anything concerning this rating online.

For planting and irrigating purposes, I'd really like to haul a trailer with dual 7,000 lb axles. I might even be able to carry more than one implement to the farm at a time. But I've never tried to pull a trailer with the tractor so I don't really know what I'm doing. Any help appreciated.

Note that I am not trying to tow the tractor ON the trailer, which I have no need for. Rather, I am hoping to tow the trailer WITH the tractor.
Lots of times we load the trailer and haul it out of woods with tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_142811.jpg
    IMG_20230904_142811.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20220904_183224.jpg
    IMG_20220904_183224.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 109
   / How much trailer weight can my tractor tow?
The OP stated 'field work only'
Actually I'd be carrying implements and water (heavy) to the farm, which is 9 miles down the county road. I'd love a farm wagon, but for now I am working with tandem rear axles.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #26  
Given how flat it is near you, I'd be tempted to give it a try, maybe initially with reduced load, and see how your braking and steering behaves. Worst case, you add a brake controller, which is probably advisable in any case. I'm so used to climbing or descending hills any direction I travel (heck, my whole property is a hillside), that my mind always immediately goes toward stopping on a hill, but you're not dealing with that.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #27  
Actually I'd be carrying implements and water (heavy) to the farm, which is 9 miles down the county road. I'd love a farm wagon, but for now I am working with tandem rear axles.
You're better off with the tandem rear axles. This puts weight on the tractor, exactly where you want it.

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #28  
At the steel mill, moved train cars for years with an 8N. I know, I bought the 8N from them.

Lots of times we load the trailer and haul it out of woods with tractor.
I like your log trailer GN set up. Very cool. (y)

/ How much trailer weight can my tractor tow? #29  
I pull my Kaufman tandem axle Gooseneck loaded with double row 4 x 5 round bales (grossly overloaded) all the time. I use a rear mount (on the 3 point) round bale spear with a 2 5/16" hitch ball welded to the top of the bale spear frame.

Easier to move rounds to the barn from the field that way and I've never had any issue with the front end getting light but then the tractors have the front end loaders mounted though the buckets are off.
There is a farmer by me I see all the time on the highway with a Kubota that is probably a 9000 like yours 5030.....it's an older pre-emission model and I laugh because he pulls a small semi-truck type tandem dump trailer with it, with an equipment float behind that and his min-excavator on it! LOL