How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader?

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader?
There are a few UTDA dealers in your GA state to offer restored and upgraded YM Yanmars with loaders. The price is very attractive and they have either a full 1 year warranty or full 6 month warranty. Many of them are in the pixs I had posted prior.

Not only can they restore Yanmars to their 120% state (extra 20% has all new ROPS, seatbelts, PTO shields, etc that were not OE back in the day.) They also do John Deere's made by Yanmar too. Here is a 1984 JD950 4WD and loader made by Yanmar for Deere fully restored in 2014.

View attachment 772571
That makes sense. I saw references to Fredericks Yanmar on tractorhouse and wondered what that was. Thanks!

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #32  
Tbh, I actually found several Ford 5610 models for sale with loader. All 2wd is what I found, but it weighs almost 6k pounds. I don't know who'd work on it, but I sure do like the look of it. I know it's a big tractor and all but the tractor police won't come get me or anything.
Those Ford tractors will do a Lot with the FEL but you need weight in the rear. I had a 3000 and it had loaded 14.9 28 R1s and I would usually use the Gannon box blade as a 3 point weight. In the winter heavy duty chains and I never got it stuck.
Plus you could also use the locking rear diff for more push.
I paid $3800 iirc mainly because it had the SOS 10 speed power shift transmission and the loader would lift 2000lb to 120 inches at the pins.

Hard to buy more tractor for less money and as much as I like the Yanmars, I ended up with good heavy duty implements for cheap or free because the smaller Kubotas or Yanmars 3 points would not lift them, No Joke. A free 6 foot disc and the Gannon box for cheap because he was tired of people buying it and then unable to lift or use it so they brought it back twice.

Last edited:
   / How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #33  
Tbh, I actually found several Ford 5610 models for sale with loader. All 2wd is what I found, but it weighs almost 6k pounds. I don't know who'd work on it, but I sure do like the look of it. I know it's a big tractor and all but the tractor police won't come get me or anything.
My 3910 is the handiest tractor I own. No FEL though.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #34  
My first CUT was a 2001 Cub Cadet 7305, got a smokin deal at $10,000 with only 107 easy hours. It was truly amazing at first, but gradually began to feel like a dinosaur.

Front loader was weak, relief valve was always squealing away if you tried to curl the bucket. Could maybe lift 1000 lbs. No SSQA, so I had to use clamp-on forks (barf). Loader joystick was mounted up high and in the way. Engine (mitsu 3-cyl diesel 30HP) was powerful, but noisy and still didn't like doing much except flat-land cruising when in high range.

So I upgraded, and my new tractor is like a powerful space ship in comparison.

The question is not "how old would you go/tolerate"; it should be "what is your budget"? You can still find something fairly modern for 15k.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #35  
Those Ford tractors will do a Lot with the FEL but you need weight in the rear. I had a 3000 and it had loaded 14.9 28 R1s and I would usually use the Gannon box blade as a 3 point weight. In the winter heavy duty chains and I never got it stuck.
Plus you could also use the locking rear diff for more push.
I paid $3800 iirc mainly because it had the SOS 10 speed power shift transmission and the loader would lift 2000lb to 120 inches at the pins.

Hard to buy more tractor for less money and as much as I like the Yanmars, I ended up with good heavy duty implements for cheap or free because the smaller Kubotas or Yanmars 3 points would not lift them, No Joke. A free 6 foot disc and the Gannon box for cheap because he was tired of people buying it and then unable to lift or use it so they brought it back twice.
I would agree too! Don't go to any SCUT Yanmar, Kubota, Mitsubishi, Hinomoto, Iskei, etc. Look for Ford 3000 or a Ford 8N or JD850 sized tractor frame size in any compact. This includes the rear tire sizing. Small tires limit the 3PT lift for tillers and PHD augers. This way the implements across CAT-0, CAT-1 and some CAT-2 would all work on the 3PT.

My neighbor has a Ford 1500. He can't use any of my implements because his machine is small tires and a tiny 2-cly. He can only use the rear straight blade. Not the disc harrow, nor PHD auger, nor tiller, nor box blade, nor the 6ft brush mower. If he had a Ford 2000, just maybe a few more items could be used.

All the machines in my prior posting with pixs are the larger frame and tires suitable for the OPs needs, with the exception of the tiny Yanmar YM1500 SCUT.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #36  
... Look for Ford 3000 or a Ford 8N or JD850 sized tractor frame size in any compact. This includes the rear tire sizing. Small tires limit the 3PT lift for tillers and PHD augers. This way the implements across CAT-0, CAT-1 and some CAT-2 would all work on the 3PT....
I'd say don't look for an 8N... I love mine, I doubt I'd ever get rid of it, but it would make for a lousy loader tractor regardless of how many you see out there... It'll mow fields all day, or plow the field, and handles snow with the back blade just fine, but it's just not a good basis for a loader, and you can get a much better platform for similar money. Agree with the others, though...

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #37  
I'd say don't look for an 8N... I love mine, I doubt I'd ever get rid of it, but it would make for a lousy loader tractor regardless of how many you see out there... It'll mow fields all day, or plow the field, and handles snow with the back blade just fine, but it's just not a good basis for a loader, and you can get a much better platform for similar money. Agree with the others, though...
Yeah, my Yanmar of the same size runs circles around a Ford 8N. The diesel has plenty of torque too. The other neighbor with the 8N and I were clearing the treed property line. Pulling out the massive diameter trees were no problem for the Yanmar. The 8N only took diameters under 10 inches. His IH was big, but no 3PT lift. The front has the sawmill blade to make everything into stackable cords. We did the job really well over all.

If the Ford 8N was a Funk conversion to double the Hp, it may of been practical to do much more.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #38  
Crazy suggestions. You need four wheel drive. Otherwise you can't back up a gentle slippery hill with a loaded bucket. Or with an empty bucket, for that matter.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #39  
...you can't back up a gentle slippery hill with a loaded bucket. Or with an empty bucket, for that matter.
My place is on the side of a mountain... We have nothing but 2WD, and old... Amazingly, none of the equipment has slid to the bottom of the mountain to be abandoned because we can't drive it around regardless of the weather being wet, or icy.
Yes, 4WD would be nice, but seriously, it isn't the end of the world without it. Heck, I'd love a cab too, but sun, rain or snow, the open station machines continue to run, and do what needs to be done.

/ How old a tractor would you go if you require a front end loader? #40  

There are several versions of the 5610: 5610, 5610II and 5610S

The 5610S is the newest, solid blue and New Holland decals, "S" on the radiator side panels. It was a very basic 2wd, 8x2 manual trans 70 PTO HP tractor. (The older ones had a smaller engine and 62 PTO HP, but could have manual shuttle, 4wd, factory cab etc.)

Almost any tractor mechanic could work on that, simple tractor.

4wd is not an absolute need, does make the job easier if you are on soft or slippery ground.

I run both 2wd and 4wd utility size loader tractors. Both can do the same work really, but the 4wd can always do it easily, the 2wd requires weather planning (wet/dry) and additional ballast/chains at times.

Personally I'd go no older than 1980s to ensure you get a full hydraulic loader (down pressure and hyd bucket) The tractor wearing the loader is much nicer with power steering, and differential lock.

Basic manual trans works, but is tiring using it for hours on end day after day, especially if non shuttle and a center shift model with limited reverse speeds. I've done many days work with manual trans loader.

No question a modern model with powershuttle or hydrostatic and 4wd is way nicer to use. Depends on what you want to spend!