How to drive a zero turn?

/ How to drive a zero turn? #1  

radman1

Elite Member
Tractor
JD 4520, Toolcat 5610, Bobcat S300, Case-IH 125 Pro, Case-IH 245, IH 1086, IH 806
I have a nice commercial grade zero turn with 52" deck and 27 hp kawasaki motor. My mother's house which is 90 miles from me. I mow it most of the time with my zero turn and haul it down on a trailer. Often I am going to the farm for other reasons. I can't justify running down there just to mow. This is a farm yard - not a lush city yard. Mostly fescue and zoysia grass. In the spring it probably needs mowed weekly. In the late summer it can go 2-3 weeks. Used a lawn service a few times but it is in the country and they charge $70 to mow about 1/2 acre and trim. There is another 2-3 acres but I can mow that later when needed. I want to get a second, zero turn for the farm. Nothing fancy or large. I have tried to get my 3 sisters and neices to mow but they can't seem to drive a zero turn. They are intimidated and walk away after a few minutes. My wife mows our 1.5 acres all the time with the zero turn and loves it. What tips or tricks can I use to teach them to mow? I am also considering getting a lawn tractor instead of a zero turn, which is probably easier for them, but slower for me!

Talked with dealer yesterday. He said with women and first time on a zero turn he had a few tips. First he sends the husband away. Wives don't want to listen to husband. Second, he tells them not to look at the edge of the mowed grass but instead look 10-20' in front of the mower so they can get used to driving. He agrees with me that a zero turn is 3-4X faster than a lawn tractor because of the maneuverability around obstacles.

/ How to drive a zero turn?
2nd question. Who makes a good, residential duty zero turn?

/ How to drive a zero turn? #3  
I have one of these and I love it. It has cut my mowing time in half. I was using a 25 hp garden tractor with a 50 inch deck.
Swisher Max Z ZT2660B zero-turn mower Review: Powered by ConsumerGuide and HowStuffWorks
I have no connection with swisher, the products seem a little unrefined but the one I have sure works good. It is heavy and it seems to bridge the gap between home owner and professional machines. The front wheel supports and cutting deck are very stout. I have seen them clearanced priced at $3400 new at my local farm supply store. That seems very reasonable for a 60 inch cut zero turn. It has dual hydraulic drives but it is limited to around 6mph. My 4 acre yard is so lumpy I can't stay in the seat any faster than that. I would love to have a professional mower that would run 10 or 12 mph but I wouldn't be able to use it on my lawn, I can barely hang on at 6 mph.

Attachments

• Z_2660B_large.jpg
    Z_2660B_large.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
   / How to drive a zero turn? #4  
Radman

I wish you lived closer. I have a used Snapper zero turn I am looking to sell that only requires one hand to operate. It has a single joystick on the right hand side. I have had people who never even looked at zero turns driving this one in a few minutes. The guy I bought it off of a few years back said he wishes he would have ordered his new Snapper ztr with a single joystick-like mine. He bought the new one with the traditional 2 stick setup and misses the old one.

John

/ How to drive a zero turn? #5  
I gave my fiance the same advice about driving a z-turn, focus on the horizon and don't worry about the deck. It also helps that she is practicing on a 10 acre field we own. I mow with my tractor on the far end, so she isn't nervous.

My brother has a Toro Timecuter. He has used it for 7 years with no problems. He probably puts 100 hours a year on it.

Will

/ How to drive a zero turn?
Radman

I wish you lived closer. I have a used Snapper zero turn I am looking to sell that only requires one hand to operate. It has a single joystick on the right hand side. I have had people who never even looked at zero turns driving this one in a few minutes. The guy I bought it off of a few years back said he wishes he would have ordered his new Snapper ztr with a single joystick-like mine. He bought the new one with the traditional 2 stick setup and misses the old one.

John

How do you drive it with one stick. (In a circle?:D)

/ How to drive a zero turn? #7  
NO

It has a single joystick over in the right hand fender that you push which ever direction you want to go. It seems to be easier to operate for new operators because there is no confusion on pushing one fwd and one back for turning, etc...

I have no problems with either setup but this Snapper design is really neat!!

/ How to drive a zero turn? #8  
I found the easiest way for a beginner is: Move both sticks forward, or back, evenly until the desired slow speed is reached, then adjust as necessary, by moving only one side, to steer.

After am hour or so, most people can begin to use both hands to steer.

/ How to drive a zero turn? #9  
2nd question. Who makes a good, residential duty zero turn?
I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend.I bought my Kubota ZD326(diesel) pro (60 inch deck) back in 2006 for $10,700.No regrets yet.coobie

/ How to drive a zero turn? #10  
Just practice in an open field and after 15 minutes they will have the hang of it. I practiced for about 5 thought I had it then brought it up front and mowed over a nice little Maple tree I had planted. :D

I have the largest TORO residential unit they make. Timecutter Z 5060. It has a 50 " deck and a 25 horse Koehler engine. I mow roughly 2 acres and I beleive it is good up till 3 acres. It cost me 2999.00. Truthfully it is a nice little unit but now that I know what I am doing and really enjoy these machines when my tractor is paid off in a few yrs. I am going to step up to a nice commercial unit.