How to maintain wooded walking trails

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
Wondering about how folks maintain walking trails through the woods in winter. Our trails are not so flat and smooth that they seem to lend themselves to plowing. Maybe pulling some type of grooming device behind a snowmobile?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #2  
I dont walk the woods in winter.. Im such a wimp to cold.. :)

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #3  
For walking, just the snowmobile will pack them enough to support people. No need to pull anything unless you are trying for cross country skiing trails.

If you like winter exercise, snowshoes will cut a trail but not pack the snow enough to walk without them. Of course, after every snow you need to open the trail again but you will form a firm base in a trench eventually.

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #5  

Attachments

• New_drag__ready_to_weld_.II__DL_.jpg
    New_drag__ready_to_weld_.II__DL_.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,126
   / How to maintain wooded walking trails
Thanks, all, for the ideas so far. We don't have a snowmobile in our "fleet", but I can likely test concepts using my neighbor's. I was also thinking maybe clear some of the snow with the v-blade plow raised on the Gator, while pulling some type of groomer behind to compact the snow and fill the tire tracks. In 4WD the Gator penetrates shallow snow quite well.

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #7  
Wondering about how folks maintain walking trails through the woods in winter. Our trails are not so flat and smooth that they seem to lend themselves to plowing. Maybe pulling some type of grooming device behind a snowmobile?

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

I am president of our local snowmobile club here in NH. We use Tucker Sno-Cats with 8'X16 drags for the bigger trails, but use snowmobile pulled 4X8 drags for the smaller trails. before the modern (mogul master type) drag was invented, we used pipe drags. A pipe drag uses a couple of fence posts with a piece of chain link fence in between. I probably still have one at the barn and will see if I can take a pic for you.

One thing to note is that depending on how much snow you are dragging, it puts added stress on your snowmobile's belt. We use Skandic work sleds (Skidoo) as they have a 2 speed gear box.

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #8  
Jerry,
Interesting topic,
We have 4 atv and maybe a mile of trails on our spread. I tried everything including front plow, rear blower, front blower... I found what works best in a box scraper, once you load up the box, you just drag it around and it mashes down the snow really well... Until it rains, then you're in a mess again. You need to keep up to the snow falls, but we're out there every day running around drifting corners... And we have the grandkids to blame for that

Dan

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #9  
New member here.

At our cabin we have walking trails which get packed by snowmobilers and eventually pack hard enough to walk on but I’ve found that after fresh snows walking can be very difficult. Additionally, I’d like to make walking easier for some of our full-time retired neighbours who walk our trails.

So I’ve been thinking about low cost snow packer ideas. I think some kind of roller or set of rollers would do the best job of compressing/packing snow for walking trails.

The vast majority of trail groomers I’ve seen have been geared towards skiers or snowmobilers where one’s weight is very distributed compared to walking.

/ How to maintain wooded walking trails #10  
I use snow blower thru 1.2 miles of wooded trails. Occasionally drive sleigh thru them, and walk dog thur them.