How to paint a tractor...

/ How to paint a tractor... #11  
Spiveyman said:
Thanks for the replies so far. First of all, perhaps I was a bit too subtle with my sarcasm on the "tip" to use gasoline and an open flame. I wasn't making that up, someone actually told me that. However, I am a chemical engineer and am smart enough not to get myself blown up. :D That's why I used the quotation marks around the word "tip."...

The "Tipster" is still alive?! That guy is a Darwin Award candidate waiting to happen. Let's hope he hasn't bred.

Your Ford looks like it's been well cared for, so I don't think it needs painting yet. What you've done on the Carryall and bale spear looks pretty good to me paint wise.

/ How to paint a tractor...
slowrev said:
Spivyman, I live east of Winchester, KY a bit, will ask around about someone who paints tractors. I do my own, but have no time to paint others.
And I do not do show grade, just like them to look decent and have no rust.
Soundguy gave good advice.

But if you are going to use it just touch it up, it will get dirty and scratched up pretty fast anyway.

Hey I appreciate it. I grew up east of Winchester, right out side of a place called Clintonville, near Paris, but on the Clark Co. line. I'm not looking for show grade paint, afterall it's still a farm tractor and will be used for farming, just want it to look decent and the paint to last a while.

mjncad said:
The "Tipster" is still alive?! That guy is a Darwin Award candidate waiting to happen. Let's hope he hasn't bred.

Your Ford looks like it's been well cared for, so I don't think it needs painting yet. What you've done on the Carryall and bale spear looks pretty good to me paint wise.

Good point on the Darwin awards, I'll be watching the local paper and let you know when he nominates himself. Actually, the guy said he used to paint tractors, but his insurance company shut him down. What's that old line about God watching over fools and little children? Looks like his insurance company probably saved his life.

The tractor is in decent shape, there's a place where the fiberglass front hood is busted, and a crease in the top cover over the engine, and normal wear spots in the tractor like where you put your hand behind the gas cap to get off the tractor. I just like to take care of my stuff, I certainly worked hard enough to be able to afford it, so I want it to reflect my "work ethic" and taking care of my stuff. Thanks!

/ How to paint a tractor... #15  
Mornin Tim,
IMO youve got a nice lookin work tractor there ! I do my own painting just like some of the other guys that have posted on your thread, and its really not that difficult to get good results, maybe not perfect, but pretty nice IMO ! I think some of the advice you got from Farm and Chris is very good, but the most important advice you got is be very careful with what your breathing into your system !!! If you dont have a spray booth, your going to need protection ! Good luck !

Thanks, Scott. I may try the sanding and spot painting the particularly worn areas. This seems like a good way to try it out and see if I can get it done to my satisfaction. If not, then I haven't ruined the whole thing and can still have someone else paint it (assuming I can find someone). This would also limit the quantity of chemicals I'm exposed to at any one time. I have asthma, not too bad, but it's there and am deathly allergic to September, so I agree - the breathing protection is a must.

It may be a while before I get a chance to try that, but I'll post before/after pics if I don't find someone to do the whole thing before then.

/ How to paint a tractor... #17  
Spiveyman said:
... What's that old line about God watching over fools and little children? ...

I was always told it was, "God protects drunks and fools."

/ How to paint a tractor... #18  
Be fair now...You are taking this statement somewhat out of context. I did not state that only those 'alergic' to it would / could be affected. If you are especially sensitive to the ISO compounds .. you will have a much more sever reaction.

And yes.. go to the ytsite.. this exact same info is discussed over there.

Also... according to the info from some of the hardners.. fresh air painting is acceptable under certain conditions.. It's in black and white.. you can hit valspar's MSDS to verify this..

Also.. As i indicated in my 1st post, I too believe his OEM paint is still sufficient and should not be re-coated yet.

Soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
Hardener isn't something you might be "alergic" to. It is harmfull to anyone with lungs. You would be "alergic" to it in the same sense as being alergic to a bullet. (Except you might heal from a gunshot wound. Ico poisoning won't go away) Go over to Yesterdays Tractor website, post on the painting forum any thoughts of hardeners being something that some people might be alergic to, and let the experts take their shots at you. Many full time painters on there. Hardener is bad stuff. It CAN kill you on the first exposure.

/ How to paint a tractor... #19  
That 2nd coat of paint you put on will help delay the rust of those 2 implements.

The finish didn't turn out perfect due to the metal surface and old paint imperfections. Same would be true on the tractor.. Like I said.. most of the 'finish' look comes not fromt he paint.. but from the labor involved during surface prep.

As i said at the bottom of my 1st post.. your 6610II work clothes are fine.. My 7610s has very similar ( oem ) paint..

Soundguy

Spiveyman said:
Thanks for the replies so far. First of all, perhaps I was a bit too subtle with my sarcasm on the "tip" to use gasoline and an open flame. I wasn't making that up, someone actually told me that. However, I am a chemical engineer and am smart enough not to get myself blown up. :D That's why I used the quotation marks around the word "tip."

Second, this is my first tractor. I'm just getting in to farming. Yes, I am rather meticulous about my stuff and would like for it to look as good as possible, but I'm not psycho about it. That's why I was open to you all telling me that I'm nuts for wanting to paint this thing. As much as I would love to do this job myself for the cost of it and the joy of doing it myself, I can already tell that this isn't something that I want to mess with. An example of my nature, I bought a carry all frame, bale spear, and boom pole from TSC. They came in that standard construction yellow color and that just killed me, so I bought the TSC Ford Blue paint and painted each of them. They are blue now, but I can't say that they look all that great. They don't look horrible for what they are, but I'm glad I didn't try that on my tractor. Here's pics of the carry all fram and bale spear. Even though I'm meticulous about how my stuff looks, that doesn't mean I have the skill or patience to do it myself and be satisfied with how it turns out. :)

For the time it would take, the health risks, and the potential that I would mess it up, I think I will try to find someone to paint the thing. So, thanks again for the advice and I'll steer the thread towards the "know anyone who would do this for me?" direction. I'll follow up with the Shelby Supply place.

Thanks.

/ How to paint a tractor... #20  
were do i get one of these?!?!

82667d1186293166-how-paint-tractor-allis1large.jpg