How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts?

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #41  
Man, if only I could half ass flying an airliner based upon the gratitude of my passengers. Most people do good work, because they are paid a wage. If my attention to detail was based on the gratitude of the people in the back… well… have you listened to airline passengers lately? 😂
I think part of the problem with these package carriers now is they have next to no training. If they have a drivers license, take the bare minimum HR required training and can use the company supplied software there out on the street delivering.

As someone with a CDL I was always thought to always park in a way you dont have to backup or leave your self alot of room. Nearly all of the amazon drivers here park like they have no plan on leaving and cut corners short all the time.

For instance I have one driver that drives in and parks in a way that when he backs up to turn around he has to drop the front tire and both back tires off the driveway to leave. I have a huge turn around in my driveway.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #42  
I used to drive for UPS and Airborne Express. UPS made us take a class on driving, then tested us driving out on the road. Their biggest issue was backing up. NEVER back up if you can find any other way. Position the truck so you don't have to back up. Almost all accidents happen when backing up.

None of their training had anything to do with rural properties. This was out of Oakland California, so the majority of the routs are in town. I was on a rout that was mostly residential, but some of it was in a rural area called Crow Canyon. At those properties, it was an adventure on how to get in, get to the house, and get out again. On several occasions I slid off the side of the road. At a couple miles per hour, those trucks can slide sideways very quickly!!!! The damage to the homes was always extensive, but I never had to explain to my supervisors what happened after the tow truck pulled me out. Same thing with damaging lawns while trying to turn around. The truck has a very wide turning radius. As a driver, I was expected to make a certain number of deliveries an hour, and if I could save time by driving across the corner of a lawn, that's exactly what I would do.

The driver is doing this every day, all day long, and each stop is barely a memory by the end of the day.

I hate it when they cause damage to my place, but what's more important to me is that we actually get deliveries out here. I am more then OK with ruts in the grass every now and then when comparing the horror of having to drive into town for something!!!! The older I get, the more excuses I can come up with for not going to town!!!

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #43  
I used to drive for UPS and Airborne Express. UPS made us take a class on driving, then tested us driving out on the road. Their biggest issue was backing up. NEVER back up if you can find any other way. Position the truck so you don't have to back up. Almost all accidents happen when backing up.

None of their training had anything to do with rural properties. This was out of Oakland California, so the majority of the routs are in town. I was on a rout that was mostly residential, but some of it was in a rural area called Crow Canyon. At those properties, it was an adventure on how to get in, get to the house, and get out again. On several occasions I slid off the side of the road. At a couple miles per hour, those trucks can slide sideways very quickly!!!! The damage to the homes was always extensive, but I never had to explain to my supervisors what happened after the tow truck pulled me out. Same thing with damaging lawns while trying to turn around. The truck has a very wide turning radius. As a driver, I was expected to make a certain number of deliveries an hour, and if I could save time by driving across the corner of a lawn, that's exactly what I would do.

The driver is doing this every day, all day long, and each stop is barely a memory by the end of the day.

I hate it when they cause damage to my place, but what's more important to me is that we actually get deliveries out here. I am more then OK with ruts in the grass every now and then when comparing the horror of having to drive into town for something!!!! The older I get, the more excuses I can come up with for not going to town!!!
Last paragraph. Absolutely. My UPS driver has carried to me for 8-9 years. I know his entire family. He gives my dogs treats. My wife bakes him cookies. Cheapest delivery service you can buy.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #44  
I had a delivery driver get off the driveway this morning and get stuck. It had been raining for days, and the truck sank a few inches and instantly got stuck in the mud on the slope. I walked out, and he apologized and said he would get a tow. I got the tractor, and he was out in 2 minutes, and he won't end up written up for an accident or have it count against him. He was very grateful, and it helped the guy out. I spent about 30 seconds fixing the rut with the tractor and went about my business. I figure this is the way to handle it, and it is grass; it will grow back in the spring.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #45  
think part of the problem with these package carriers now is they have next to no training. If they have a drivers license, take the bare minimum HR required training and can use the company supplied software there out on the street delivering.
I believe that you are right. It wasn't that way in the past, but in the last few years the delivery sevice has gotten crazy. I never used to see a UPS truck after 3PM or so; now, they are out until 9:00 at night.

My driveway is only 250 feet long, but if I have a delivery coming will leave my pickup with the tailgate down and a note asking them to leave packages there. It saves them 300 feet of walking, and my package is dry under the tonneau cover. If I'm home and hear them coming I will meet them at the end of my driveway.

Here's another idea which you might be able to adapt for your purposes...

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #46  
I believe that you are right. It wasn't that way in the past, but in the last few years the delivery sevice has gotten crazy. I never used to see a UPS truck after 3PM or so; now, they are out until 9:00 at night.

My driveway is only 250 feet long, but if I have a delivery coming will leave my pickup with the tailgate down and a note asking them to leave packages there. It saves them 300 feet of walking, and my package is dry under the tonneau cover. If I'm home and hear them coming I will meet them at the end of my driveway.

Here's another idea which you might be able to adapt for your purposes...

One of my favorite movies. ;)

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #47  
One of my favorite movies. ;)
It was the first thing I thought of when reading the title. I had to wait a few days though, until people posted valid suggestions.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #48  
I had a delivery driver get off the driveway this morning and get stuck. It had been raining for days, and the truck sank a few inches and instantly got stuck in the mud on the slope. I walked out, and he apologized and said he would get a tow. I got the tractor, and he was out in 2 minutes, and he won't end up written up for an accident or have it count against him. He was very grateful, and it helped the guy out. I spent about 30 seconds fixing the rut with the tractor and went about my business. I figure this is the way to handle it, and it is grass; it will grow back in the spring.
Helping the driver out in a one time situation is one thing. Having ruts made every week is more of what this thread is about and just a careless driver.

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #49  
This was just after pulling my UPS guy. He was stuck a mile from my house and called to ask if I were home. I didn't hesitate.

20191219_153051.jpg

/ How to Prevent Amazon, UPS, Fedex 3 point turn ruts? #50  
Helping the driver out in a one time situation is one thing. Having ruts made every week is more of what this thread is about and just a careless driver.
This thread is also about movies, friendships with drivers, and several other things - the point is it is still just a rut, not really life-altering. A lot of people do careless things every day - perhaps smoking and throwing butts on the ground, not saying thank you, not holding a door for someone, and leaving carts in a parking lot that could hit someone's car. The point is life and people are not perfect, including me, and if you let everything bother you, it is you that suffers.....
Screenshot 2023-01-26 at 9.47.37 AM.jpg