How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video)

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #1  

Wakey

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere Z915B Zero Turn 54 Deck
We had someone crash a truck through 2 sections of fence and nine 4x4 concreted fence posts were snapped at the base.

I did not want to dig these up figuring (it was too much work) plus it would disturb the ground too much right where I wanted to put the new posts. I did not want to have posts next to the broken ones because I am far too much of a perfectionist to do something so half-azzed!

I purchased a D-Ring tie down and 2 8"x3/8 lag screws and 4 washers. ($10 bucks) I used the washers to keep a good offset from the "tie down" so the socket wouldn't strip the bolt head.

I didn't even bother drilling a pilot hole I simply drove the lag bolt in with a torguey drill and socket. It's very important in my opinion to lift the post straight up. Also it's important to drive the bolt until it is snug unless you want to bend your lag screw.

I used a sawzall to cut the posts that had a jagged surface left.

If it hadn't just rained so much I think it would be a good idea to saturate these posts!

Here are the pics in the incorrect order :)

20131206_110807.jpg20131206_121537.jpg20131206_121547.jpg20131206_123712.jpg20131206_123904.jpg20131206_124138.jpg

Last edited:
   / How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video)
Re: How to pull 9 broken fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video)

2 of the posts pulled clear of the concrete so I used my trusty Collins Axe Pry Bar to sort that out. I love this thing! It's also great for enlarging a post hole. What a labor saver.

20131206_125804.jpg

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #3  
Great idea, thanks for sharing. I love my pry bar. I built two pole barns and it was great for adjusting my poles if they moved after I dumped the concrete in.

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #4  
Thanks for the post!

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #5  
Thanks for the post!........ Bwhahahahaha Good play on words about pulling posts..... snicker....
===
Good thinking.....

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #6  
IIRC, the thing you lagged into the post is a D ring....

Aaron Z

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #7  
Great idea, it works really well.

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #8  
We had someone crash a truck through 2 sections of fence and nine 4x4 concreted fence posts were snapped at the base.

I did not want to dig these up figuring (it was too much work) plus it would disturb the ground too much right where I wanted to put the new posts. I did not want to have posts next to the broken ones because I am far too much of a perfectionist to do something so half-azzed!

I purchased what I can best describe as a tie down and 2 8"x3/8 lag screws and 4 washers. ($10 bucks) I used the washers to keep a good offset from the "tie down" so the socket wouldn't strip the bolt head.

I didn't even bother drilling a pilot hole I simply drove the lag bolt in with a torguey drill and socket. It's very important in my opinion to lift the post straight up. Also it's important to drive the bolt until it is snug unless you want to bend your lag screw.

I used a sawzall to cut the posts that had a jagged surface left.

If it hadn't just rained so much I think it would be a good idea to saturate these posts!

If someone knows a proper term for what I have referred to as a tie down I will edit this post so the next guy will have the proper term for his parts search.

Here are the pics in the incorrect order :)

View attachment 348915View attachment 348916View attachment 348917View attachment 348918View attachment 348919View attachment 348920

Man did you ever dodge a bullet with your lifting point on your FEL. That torque bar is not made for lifting and I am very surprised that you didn't bend it when lifting those post. Next time put an attachment on the FEL and lift with that and don't hang anything from that bar. It is only to keep the arms correctly positioned side to side and make the hydraulics lift from both sides equally. A FEL bucket with chain hooks welded on is what you should be using, OR pallet forks, hay spear or any other attachment so you can center the load .

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video) #9  
-------------------------------------------------------------------
If someone knows a proper term for what I have referred to as a tie down I will edit this post so the next guy will have the proper term for his parts search.
--------------------------------------------
It is a D-Ring Tie Down
lrb1_2_1000.jpg

/ How to pull broken 4x4 fence posts that were concreted in. (pics and video)
Man did you ever dodge a bullet with your lifting point on your FEL. That torque bar is not made for lifting and I am very surprised that you didn't bend it when lifting those post. Next time put an attachment on the FEL and lift with that and don't hang anything from that bar. It is only to keep the arms correctly positioned side to side and make the hydraulics lift from both sides equally. A FEL bucket with chain hooks welded on is what you should be using, OR pallet forks, hay spear or any other attachment so you can center the load .

I realized it immediately and I moved the chain to center on the subsequent pulls. I plan on bringing home pallet forks when I bring the tractor in for the 50 hr service. I already have the hooks for the bucket, they will be welded then as well.