How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #212  
Look up a tool called 'pipe dawg'. Theres one on ebay. Looks easy to fab yourself. If you have access to the open pipe, make a cone shaped 'pulling grip' tool. Google Images search will get you some images. Essential when I dabbled in old farm windmills. Use a laser pointer to try to view the top section.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #213  
So, with 22 pages tallied up, that i didn`t want to read thru, did the OP ever get his pump problem fixed?

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #214  
So, with 22 pages tallied up, that i didn`t want to read thru, did the OP ever get his pump problem fixed?

Only 5 pages on the app.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump
Yes!
See post #126 on page 13 and post #144 or page 15.
Thanks for asking!

The excavation's been backfilled for a few months now. I'm waiting for spring to regrade and spread some seed.
I also installed a hydrant at the well head for easier access to water in the field.

IMG_003090a.jpg
IMG_003091a.jpg

Not sure what to do with the 21 lengths of 1 1/4" treaded PVC pipe though. I'll try selling the brass couplers or scrap them if there are no takers. Otherwise, the old pump and pipe will likely wind up in the dumpster.

IMG_003092a.jpg

Thanks again to all who offered ideas & moral support!

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #216  
   / How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #217  
Yeah, sorry for getting off the subject. I was helping with the stuck pump until someone mentioned the CSV around post #140. Then I got into the same old discussions I have been having for the last 30 years on how a CSV works. But I thought it was a good discussion and part of it had to do with not putting stuff in a well that will cause it to get stuck.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #218  
I am glad you are happy with 30/50 pressure. Most people are not or I would not be in business. 40/60 is the most common setting these days, and people still complain about that. With any filters you lose pressure, and many houses are plumbed with pipe that is too small. And some of those small pex lines have insert fittings which further restricts the pressure. If you are at the bottom of the hill, don't have any filters, and have large pipes all the way to the shower, 30/50 might be fine. But I can assure you people moving to the country from the city would not be happy with 30/50 pressure.

When the house is on a hill, has multiple filters, or has long or too small pipe lines, much higher pressures are needed. I did several today that were 60/80 and one that was 120/140 as those houses are considerable higher in elevation than the well and pump.
FWIW I have long thought of changing to 40-60 if for no other reason better sprinkler operation. I had to install a filter system lasst year. Yep, no irrigation without pulling the filter cartridge and low pessure as the filter clogs up.

Yes, elevation difference between pressure tank - and yes a CSV has a pressure tank albeit small - can require higher, or lower, pressure settings at the pressure switch.

Since I hardly irrigate any more a CSV would result in far more pump starts than what I have.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #219  
10 or 12 cows makes a difference on how much water you use.
Gee, I never would have thought of that...but then they would be hard to fit into my 3/4 acre.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #220  
I haven't read the thread, but here is what I'd do to recover the pump.

1) $80 for a Chinese inspection camera with a long wand (I already own one).

2) Weight the camera wand so that it wants to stay in position while looking at your sunken pump.

3) Make or weld a hook/loop out of a muffler/pipe/U-clamp big enough to slide under the pump, yet small enough to hook under the pump that tries to keep the U part on horizontal for easier nabbing.

4) Go fishing. Patience as though the well company would charge you $500 per hour to do the very same thing you are doing.

5) After hooking under the pump, winch the pump back up.

6) Tie the pump off and secure it from falling back into the 6" casing before doing anything else to it.