How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #81  
If the end of the supply pipe and broken adapter is in the 4" PVC packer, there won't be enough clearance for a new pump.

Ahhh. Is it a 6" I.D. well with a 4" packer that causes a 2" diameter restriction at the top?
And, you've got 400+ feet of pipe dropped in there with a broken connector on top, and a 6" pump at the bottom?

If so, how'd they get the 6" pump down there? Installed the 4" packer afterward? Wouldn't that guarantee that you'd never be able to get the pump out for service in the future?

It's gonna be interesting to see what they suggest once they get the better camera in there. Good luck. And thanks for sharing the story. Might save someone else some grief, or help with planning, etc.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #82  
how far away from the house is the barn? cant you just run a pipe from house system to barn?

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #83  
Similar happened to me. Luckily I have family in the well repair business. They have a homemade tool designed to be lowered into the well and grab the pipe. Probably just a reproduction of something available commercially if I know them.
It is a short length of steel pipe with 3 hinged clamps on the sides. Basically they lowered this "clamp" into the well and it slid over the pipe. The clamps allowed the pipe to pass thru but when they pulled up the clamps grabbed the pipe allowing them to pull everything up. Similiar to how the wire pulling clamp you posted earlier worked but made to go over a pipe.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #84  
Found this tool similiar method to what I was trying to describe above but goes into the pipe instead of around it. The Fetch broken well pipe and pump removal tool
Dapalco_Fetch_Pipe_Retriever_830_IAPs.jpg

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump
Ahhh. Is it a 6" I.D. well with a 4" packer that causes a 2" diameter restriction at the top?
And, you've got 400+ feet of pipe dropped in there with a broken connector on top, and a 6" pump at the bottom?

If so, how'd they get the 6" pump down there? Installed the 4" packer afterward? Wouldn't that guarantee that you'd never be able to get the pump out for service in the future?

It's gonna be interesting to see what they suggest once they get the better camera in there. Good luck. And thanks for sharing the story. Might save someone else some grief, or help with planning, etc.
As far as I know, the pump is 4" in diameter. At least the well rep thinks so. All the pumps used in my well at the house over the years have been 4".

I think a little back story might help understand the condition of this well. The guy who owned the property before I bought it was a scrounger. He built a house on the acreage from things he hoarded and pulled from dumpsters. Garden hose in the walls for some of the plumbing, electrical wire spliced in the walls with no junction boxes, used, mismatched windows & doors etc..etc.

The bank eventually foreclosed and I was able to buy the place. The only thing worth saving was the barn. I tore the house down along with some ramshackle out buildings. I relocated the water & electric services to the barn. The worst thing I found when I demolished the house was the cinder block chimney he used for a coal stove. It had no tile liner and the cheap mortar he used on the block was falling out of the joints. There were scorch marks on the wood siding behind the chimney at almost every seam! Had I not demolished the place, it likely would have burned down on it's own.

Anyway, this guy got hold of some used well casing and paid a well guy he knew to dig the well and install it. When I dug out and exposed the casing to get at the pitless adapter, I found that the casing itself is badly corroded. That may be why the packer was installed. Everything this guy did was on the cheap. Who knows what the well guys will find when they get the camera down there. At this point, I'll be lucky if I can just reuse the hole.

how far away from the house is the barn? cant you just run a pipe from house system to barn?
The barn is 1/4 mile from the house. It's 80' higher and on the other side of a private road. The main problem around here is most of the acreage is on top of a red shale ledge. It would cost more to get in equipment capable of ripping a 4' deep trench than a new well.

I didn't read all replies but small waterproof cameras with LED lights are not expensive ($50-$100).
One on Amazon had a 150M (about 500 ft) cable. It connects to phone or tablet I'm thinking.
Me, I would get something like that, especially since you could use it for other things, looking behind walls, etc.
That way you could see what you're dealing with. If I could snag it I'd use a strong cable with a loop using camera to guide it. Then pull up with a winch.
If you see you can't do it as mentioned just wait for the professionals to do it.
If the pro's can't pull it, I might try something like that rather than abandon the well.

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #88  
As far as I know, the pump is 4" in diameter. At least the well rep thinks so. All the pumps used in my well at the house over the years have been 4".

I think a little back story might help understand the condition of this well. The guy who owned the property before I bought it was a scrounger. He built a house on the acreage from things he hoarded and pulled from dumpsters. Garden hose in the walls for some of the plumbing, electrical wire spliced in the walls with no junction boxes, used, mismatched windows & doors etc..etc.

The bank eventually foreclosed and I was able to buy the place. The only thing worth saving was the barn. I tore the house down along with some ramshackle out buildings. I relocated the water & electric services to the barn. The worst thing I found when I demolished the house was the cinder block chimney he used for a coal stove. It had no tile liner and the cheap mortar he used on the block was falling out of the joints. There were scorch marks on the wood siding behind the chimney at almost every seam! Had I not demolished the place, it likely would have burned down on it's own.

Anyway, this guy got hold of some used well casing and paid a well guy he knew to dig the well and install it. When I dug out and exposed the casing to get at the pitless adapter, I found that the casing itself is badly corroded. That may be why the packer was installed. Everything this guy did was on the cheap. Who knows what the well guys will find when they get the camera down there. At this point, I'll be lucky if I can just reuse the hole.
Ahhhh... I live in such a house, but not to that extent. The owner before us bought a lot of stuff at surplus places and mixed but not matched a lot of things. Questionable to down right dangerous electrical and plumbing. But it has good bones, at least the one's he didn't cut into, so it was well worth the work to get it in shape.

Thanks for the background. (y)

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #89  
Just thinking, if your electrical cables are taped every so often to the pipe which is not uncommon so that it follows rather than twisting and bunching. And you can see the cable 10 feet down, then maybe the pipe is not far away! If that were true I might start thinking about how I could rig something to grab the pipe.
Once you cleared the well I would certainly put in new equipment.
Do you have some sort of filter screen in the well and where is it located?

/ How to Recover a Lost Submersible Well Pump #90  
So if you do abandon the well, is there anything to be done to seal it so surface water doesn't get directly into the aquifer?