How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have a sprayer that I made from a 275 gallon tote. It has this 12 volt pump. It will be on my 3 point hitch, have a deep cycle battery. I want to be able to switch it on/off from my tractor seat. Do they make a switch pre-made that would work or be adapted or guess I can make one from scratch. The Fimco switch Northern sells is a little too small gauge. It heats up too much.

And advice on how to wire this, what’s switch and wire to use? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0600.JPG
    IMG_0600.JPG
    611.9 KB · Views: 164
   / How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #2  
Your problem is the pump draws 25 amps. You need 10 gauge wire and a switch rated at 30 amps at 12 volts. As a simple solution. A higher voltage switch will work too, but will cost more. Relay and less rated switch might be cheaper but at the cost of complexity.

If cost is an issue... use 10 gauge wire and a standard household light switch mounted in a box. It will last a few seasons or longer. The switches are at Home depot for $0.39 :2cents:

Last edited:
   / How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #3  
There are several companies that make wireless switches for sprayers, but they seem to be limited to about 20 amps. Tractor Supply lists a Fimco rated at 20 amps. You could use one of those to turn on a relay like a starter solenoid rated higher amperage and connect your pump to that.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #4  
You can buy a constant duty solenoid that looks just like a starter solenoid on a Ford but is made for continuous use. They use them on snow plows.
If you want wireless you can get a relay pack and remote for a winch from HF.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #5  
Wireless winch remote may work and are usualy prety cheap. Although they are only momentary switches.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #6  
   / How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely.
If I don’t use a relay, guess this switch would work, with an inline 30A fuse?IMG_0602.JPG

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #8  
If I don’t use a relay, guess this switch would work, with an inline 30A fuse?View attachment 567642
Yes, that one should work. You would probably need to make an extension cord for it so you could reach the switch. You could probably get away with 12/2 wire.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely.
Thanks. I don’t know much about 12V wiring obviously, but thought I would use an extension cord from the switch to the battery/motor
But I’m also going to try to research adding a 12V receptacle rated for this amperage on the back of my tractor, so I can just plug it in and not use the separate battery, and mount a switch.

The reason I’m running this from a 12V is that I built this sprayer to mount in my pickup truck bed. But I’m going to build a three point platform so I can instead use my tractor. Don’t want to trash my new truck. I’m too cheap to buy a PTO driven one, and this one actually works very well for my occasional use. So once I get a three point frame welded up. I’ll wire it so I can switch it on/off from the seat.

/ How to switch a 12 volt pump remotely. #10  
I ran a lead direct from battery to 30 amp inline fuse then to 30 amp switch mounted in dash (but suggest using relay) and then on to 4 prong trailer connector at rear of tractor (using only two prongs), and used mating plug on lead to sprayer pump.... If there is a switch on sprayer pump cord or pump body just leave it there and leave it on, and use dash switch for control... This makes a 12 volt supply sort of universal if you want to power something other than sprayer....

4-way-round-trailer-wiring.jpg

Dale

Last edited: