How to tell which model hydrant?

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
Hey guys. I've got a leaking hydrant. Just barely dripping. Gonna try to adjust it but wanna get a rebuild/repair kit to have on hand for this and a few others on the property. Seems there's a lotta different model #'s for these and the difference is not always obvious to me. Don't see anything but the brand name on the hydrant itself.
So how do ya tell one from another? Thanks.. d:^)

20211219_093713.jpg

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #4  
you-are-welcome.jpg

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #5  
I assume you mean it’s dripping when handle is off? How can you tell it’s dripping?
That is, does it drip out the faucet? Wouldn’t a dripping/leaking hydrant just leak out the drain hole at the bottom of the hydrant underground undetected?
To me, a visible dripping hydrant means hydrant is leaking AND ground is so saturated (or some other problem) that the standpipe does not drain when you close the handle.
And if the standpipe doesn’t drain, it can freeze. (So maybe moving leaking water is helpful in this case)

Perhaps freezing is not an issue where you live?

I see you have a shut off valve and hose connected to hydrant. The standpipe can only drain itself of water after you close the handle if air can flow back through the hydrant’s nozzle back into the standpipe. A long hose or closed shut-off valve at the nozzle will prevent this. If no air can enter standpipe, water will be siphoned locked (is that a phrase?) and water will remain in standpipe to freeze.

Last edited:
   / How to tell which model hydrant?
When I put the handle in the closed position it still very slowly drips water from the end of the hydrant. We put the additional cutoff on it during non-freezing weather to keep it from muddying up that general area and it does get pressurized when closed. So the hydrant is not fully closing.
..When it's gonna be below freezing the cutoff is opened up so it can drip which may or may not help. We'll end up with about an 8" stalagmite in the morning. But there's generally not a lotta hard freeze in this part of NC. Middish 20's and such overnight. That particular hydrant is close to the horse's water trough and the short washing machine hose is how we get the water in the trough.

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #7  
i have NEVER been able to repair a yard hydrant. i have tried everythinjg to unscrew one and replace parts....never had any luck. i usually end up digging it up and replacing entire thing.

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #8  
Our hydrant was on a "TEE", and one of the fittings rusted in half,,

fKoMWr6.jpg

I wanted the new hydrant to be more stable, so, I made a "collar" out of 8" plastic pipe.

I split the pipe, heated it with a propane torch, and bent it as necessary,,

JUScoga.jpg

Some of that "forming" was left over from a previous use of the pipe,

When I put gravel in the 8" pipe, the hydrant became almost as rigid as concrete.

lSwAcca.jpg

My 2' bury hydrant cost $80 delivered in 2019.

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #9  
Just had a learning experience with one of the Simmons hydrants. Couldn't get it to shut off. Did like the original poster and left a host attached to "shut it off" well, the cold snuck up on me and it froze the hydrant and put a hairline crack in the top - fortunately. So I rebuilt it. After rebuilding, I figured out, had I just adjusted the pressure on the plunger the whole thing could have been avoided. At least I got it to shut off. Then two days later, that hair line crack enlarged and was spraying water everywhere. So I had to order the new top and take the hydrant apart again. The good news, I now know how yard hydrants work. I know how to adjust and rebuilt them now, LOL.

/ How to tell which model hydrant? #10  
Some advice I got from the supply house where I purchased my hydrants was to use a 5 gallon bucket when putting it in the ground. I cut or drill a hole in the lid and slide it up on the hydrant. Then I cut the bottom of the bucket out and the slit the side up about 1/3 to 1/2 way and cut a hole for the pipe (or one on each side if on a tee). Then I fill the bucket with bottom the hydrant (and drain) inside the bucket with gravel. Slide the lid down onto the bucket that is full of gravel and cover any big gaps with duck tape and then burry. That leaves the bottom of the hydrant (and drain) in gravel to drain and keeps it out of what would otherwise be wet dirt. Makes everything operate better and last longer by preventing the corrosion of being in wet dirt... Seems like it is worth it to give up an old bucket (everyone has some around) and some gravel....