How to "undercoat" mower deck.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #31  
I've used it. It does work for a while. Basically it's like anything else. You will need to reapply it every year.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #32  
How abut GRAVEL GUARD as sold for rocker panels?
Should work I'd think.

I did my CUT fenders with it and no rust!
Mind you the velocity of grit would be higher on a mower deck but then gravel guard is kind of rubbery so grit might bounce off.
Worth a try!

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #33  
I tried rubberized undercoating previously. Same result. Wears off. Maybe Titanium paint would work.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #34  
^^^^^^ahh, yeah! You definitely have a park setting there for sure!

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #35  
I tried the tsc Teflon paint on a plow blade didn't last the winter. I stick with whatever left over paint I have from projects I have done. Worked for the last 24 years hopefully the deck will last another 24.:unsure:🍻

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #37  
All I do is, every fall I lift the ZTR's up with one of my FEL's and a chain and pressure wash the decks clean and give them a shot of Fluid Film and grease them and put them away for the winter (Marine Stabil in the full to the top gas tanks) and starting batteries removed and placed on a tender. Molding grass is acidic so it eats up exposed metal. 13 years on my 2 ZTR's and no appreciable deck corrosion.

So far, other than routine oil and filter changes and a couple valve adjustments, nothing major has befallen them.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #38  
I'm sure my method isn't for everyone, however - I have a wood chipper and leave a small pile of chips for cleaning my mower. Simply drive over the pile of wood chips, engage the mower blades, and viola! the underside of the deck is clean.

I use my 62D deck in the fall to pick up leaves and acorns, etc with my Cyclone Rake. Afterwards, the deck is completely clean and I store it inside. No worries about coating or corrosion. Of course, my JD deck is several times thicker than a typical lawn mower deck.

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #39  
I take pretty good care of my tractors and equipment. However the mower deck not so much. I have a 30 year old JD Lx188 with a 48 inch deck. I clean the old grass once or twice a year when I sharpen the blades. And I don't do a meticulous job at that. Nothing more. The deck is still sound as a nut.
Not that I recommend this....just sayin 🤔

/ How to "undercoat" mower deck. #40  
I might just as well chime in here. I have and have had upper tier JD riders. When it is damp or wet, I hose the decks out after every use. EVERY one. Sometimes I really push these mowers beyond their intended use, on a place like mine with moles and voles, ruts and nuts. tall and wet. Sometimes I have to do it half way through the mowing.

Later summer when it's dry to the bone, not always. But before I quit for the season I hose and or scrape the underside of the deck and spindle assemblies. My three point brush hog mower I do the same. My flail has duck feet and it balls up in tall green. I hose that out frequently.
I don't oil the undersides or treat them with anything, but I store all this stuff up off the ground and covered one way or another.

Back in the eighties I took a gig working for the local Parks Department during a timber downturn, survival job. After every day, back in the shop, we hosed out all the mowing devices, tractors, walk behinds, ZTR's , everything. It was the rule. It paid in dividends to keep the stuff cleaned out.
Decks with caked dirt and grass, don't operate as designed. It puts stress on the blades, deck, belts, pulleys', motor. It may be **** but it keeps stuff running as it should and easier to maintain a clean machine than a crusty one.

On of my best investments was a HF mower lift. Not German engineering, but it makes the deck cleaning EASY and complete. They are worth their weight in gold. A clean deck is a happy deck! anytime of year

Last edited: