How would it make you feel?

/ How would it make you feel? #21  
Many "Yard sale" efforts leave the signage to children. I suggest we all grow up,and not find fault.

Ignorance is the only thing that is infinite.

/ How would it make you feel? #22  
When it comes to the standard of 'modern day' spelling we have only to look at TBN as an example. I'm referring to the auto-correct/dictionary function... we type merrily away and then go to all of the red-underlined words, correcting as we go OR adding them to our personal dictionary.

I've had to adapt the TBN dictionary for all of the 'American English' spellings & idiosyncrasies, plus add in all of my 'Aussie-isms'. I also have an Oxford dictionary and thesaurus sitting here on my desk, ready to go.

Here's another example of the standards coming out of modern education; I required a 14yo to fill out a form and then sign it... the filling out went fine but she looked quizzical when it came to signing her name. The result was written in block letters.

I'm soon expecting them to simply make an "X", with my following it with "his/her mark."

I think you nailed it. You care about the accuracy of your writings. They don't.

/ How would it make you feel? #23  
Many "Yard sale" efforts leave the signage to children. I suggest we all grow up,and not find fault.

Ignorance is the only thing that is infinite.

I think we are "grown up". That's why we are discussing the current social trend of immaturity in writings.

/ How would it make you feel? #24  
Here's another example of the standards coming out of modern education; I required a 14yo to fill out a form and then sign it... the filling out went fine but she looked quizzical when it came to signing her name. The result was written in block letters.

I'm soon expecting them to simply make an "X", with my following it with "his/her mark."

As I understand it, cursive writing is no longer taught in many US schools.

Steve

/ How would it make you feel? #25  
They are teaching it here; my twin grandsons in the third grade are learning it. Oddly enough, my 12 year old grandson was trying to write a paper using Microsoft Word as per his assignment, meaning that he had to develop or had at one time been taught typing skills of a sort. Surprising to me; I think I was a Sophomore of Junior in high school before I took typing. I doubt I would recognize the schools of today, although the schools here are excellent.

/ How would it make you feel? #26  
Maybe Hugh can't spell......
His last name is Yard......and he makes sails.....huge sails....using yards of fabric...

Does Hugh Yard make sails in his yard, using the English yard or the American yard, to hang from the yard? :confused3::shocked::eek::rolleyes::laughing::laughing::laughing:

How in the heck anyone learns "English" is beyond me..... :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ How would it make you feel? #27  
As I understand it, cursive writing is no longer taught in many US schools.

Steve

I HATE cursive writing. HATE IT. It should be taught but did I mention I HATE IT! :laughing::laughing::laughing: I got into arguments with one of my middle school English teachers over using cursive. Most peoples cursive is unreadable. Yes cursive is "faster" than block writing but if you can't read it the writing what is the point? Tis pretty hard to write block letters that cannot be read. Cursive, YUCK! BTW, the teacher let me write papers in block letters even though I had very good cursive. I just HATE IT! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Cursive really is a dead writing style since so much is done electronically today, but one does need to be able to read cursive to at least read what has been written in the past. I wonder if they teach "analog" drafting in schools anymore. It is a great skill to have even if everything is done by CAD since the old "analog" drafting skills help lay out wood and metal projects.

Our kids are learning a bit of cursive but it is far less important than having good typing and general computer skills. Funny thing is that the kids have never had a typing class and they don't appear to need one either.

Later,
Dan

/ How would it make you feel? #28  
They now teach "keyboarding, not typing, in 3rd grade.

/ How would it make you feel? #29  
They now teach "keyboarding, not typing, in 3rd grade.

I need that class!!!! There are SEVERAL functions on my keyboard that I don't understand.

/ How would it make you feel? #30  
I need that class!!!! There are SEVERAL functions on my keyboard that I don't understand.

Ya, keep wondering where the ANY key is. :)

Learned how to print in High School drafting - Velum with Ink no backspacing with that method

Dave