Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #11  
Your tractor will appreciate it too!!!

8' single spindles are around in the older models. Almost all new 8' cutters are dual spindle. Usually 7' is the max for single spindle.

Should make you a great cutter!!!

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #12  
On a 8 or 10ft cutter, how big are the swinging blades? They must simply destroy everything in its path.

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter
Your tractor will appreciate it too!!!

8' single spindles are around in the older models. Almost all new 8' cutters are dual spindle. Usually 7' is the max for single spindle.

Any idea why that is?
Economics, reliability, customer preference, etc.?

My guess is the length of the implement imposes transportation problems. Multiple spindles results in being shorter front to back and can be loaded sideways on a flatbed without being a wide load.

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #14  
Any idea why that is?

My guess is the length of the implement imposes transportation problems. Multiple spindles results in being shorter front to back and can be loaded sideways on a flatbed without being a wide load.

My guess is strength of the gearbox shaft plus, the length of the mower. The wider the mower gets, the more leverage the blades have over the gearbox shaft. At least, that's my theory.

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #15  
On a 8 or 10ft cutter, how big are the swinging blades? They must simply destroy everything in its path.

There are two blades. Also either a bar that they fasten to or a stump jumper pan. They are usually 18" or so in length/diameter. So if you have 8ft cut, minus 18", divided by 2 = 39" blade. All estimates for the "detail" police. :)

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #16  
Any idea why that is?

I've always been told they pull a bit easier and as you mentioned, they are more compact.

I had a 3pt mounted 10ft dual spindle. It was very compact for it's width size.

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #17  
I have a 7' Howse that I bought close to 20 years ago at a store liquidation. I'm not sure but I think the model is MH72CT2. It is Cat 2 hitch and weighs 1462 lbs. and it is way back there.
Recommended HP is 50-85. I would question if you have enough tractor for it. I used to run it on a Case 1070 (108 pto hp rated) and 10,000+ lb. tractor and it made the front light on it if I didn't have weights or the loader on it. It also used lots of Hp in heavy brush. I've only had it on my M7060 once and it handled OK but not great. I have a Landpride 12' winged mower now and I can tell you it requires much less Hp to run. I only use the Howse in places the Landpride won't fit or cutting the rough stuff I don't want the new mower in.

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter
I have a 7' Howse that I bought close to 20 years ago at a store liquidation. I'm not sure but I think the model is MH72CT2. It is Cat 2 hitch and weighs 1462 lbs. and it is way back there.
Recommended HP is 50-85. I would question if you have enough tractor for it. I used to run it on a Case 1070 (108 pto hp rated) and 10,000+ lb. tractor and it made the front light on it if I didn't have weights or the loader on it. It also used lots of Hp in heavy brush. I've only had it on my M7060 once and it handled OK but not great. I have a Landpride 12' winged mower now and I can tell you it requires much less Hp to run. I only use the Howse in places the Landpride won't fit or cutting the rough stuff I don't want the new mower in.

Thanks for your input. You could be right power wise. The recommended HP for the HD8D from the operating manual “ranges from 55 hp for light cutting in level terrain up to 80 hp in heavy cutting in rough terrain.” My plan for this cutter is all light cutting in mostly level terrain.

I’m less concerned with the weight since it is a pull type cutter attached to the drawbar, not hanging on the 3 pt hitch. If I need more front end weight I can hang a few hundred lbs on the front end. But I would really be surprised if that’s going to be needed. The Kubota M7060 weighs almost 2,000 lbs less than the MF 265 (engine is aluminum vs cast iron.)

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #19  
Guess I missed the MF 265 in your Tractor info. I was thinking you were using the Kubota. Didn't realize this was a pull type mower. No wonder my manual didn't have that model. You should be good with that combination I would think.

Thanks for your input. You could be right power wise. The recommended HP for the HD8D from the operating manual “ranges from 55 hp for light cutting in level terrain up to 80 hp in heavy cutting in rough terrain.” My plan for this cutter is all light cutting in mostly level terrain.

I’m less concerned with the weight since it is a pull type cutter attached to the drawbar, not hanging on the 3 pt hitch. If I need more front end weight I can hang a few hundred lbs on the front end. But I would really be surprised if that’s going to be needed. The Kubota M7060 weighs almost 2,000 lbs less than the MF 265 (engine is aluminum vs cast iron.)

/ Howse 10 Ft Single Spindle Rotary Cutter #20  
Don't know the details but Howse has an active lineup of equipment and offers parts for older Howse equipment. Looked at some new rotary cutters just last week. Might be manufactured by someone else and Howse branded. No idea how far back legacy parts support is.