HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #51  
I did have the fan blade replaced two months ago by Kubota dealer. Would they need to mess with the hydraulic fluid to access the fan blade (removing the radiator?)

I use a dipstick borrowed from a car and stick it down the fill hole to a pre marked spot at the top of the dipstick that lines up with the fill hole. I can then see where the level is at when I match the top mark on the outside of the axle case. I find that sometimes there is a bubble in the window and it makes it difficult to know exactly where the level is at.

Just my 2 cents.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #52  
View attachment 754614

Checked my hydraulic fluid sight glass yesterday. I had put red dye in it last year.

I see nothing. I added the remaining jug of hydraulic fluid (1 qt) but still nothing.

The tractor has 30 hrs and I see no leaks anywhere on the tractor.
Make sure the tractor is level, it's really important for this particular indicator.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #53  
To avoid risk of overfilling, specially with how expensive fluid is, try lift the front of the tractor with the loader have someone checking the sight glass to see if it will show something.
Did check the hydraulic fluid level and it looks good (probably overfilled now) after lowered the FEL and rotary cutter to ground level.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #54  
Did check the hydraulic fluid level and it looks good (probably overfilled now) after lowered the FEL and rotary cutter to ground level.
So you were checking it with the loader up and 3 pt up? That would explain why there was no fluid at the sight glass. You want to check the fluid with everything (loader and 3pt) on the ground or it will give false readings.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #55  
So you were checking it with the loader up and 3 pt up? That would explain why there was no fluid at the sight glass. You want to check the fluid with everything (loader and 3pt) on the ground or it will give false readings.
Yeah. Learned the hard way.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #56  
Yeah. Learned the hard way.
Oh don't feel too bad about it. We all have done it at one point or another.

I once did it on a forklift. Had the mast about half way up, while some parts were hanging on the forks drying from being recently painted. Decided to check fluid. No surprise there, it showed low. I filled it up to level, lowered the fork shortly after. Guess what? That thing shoot a geyser through the vent on the hydraulic tank almost higher the forklift in full extension. Talk about an oily mess. 🤣

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400
I finally just went ahead and poured in the bottle of John D red dye before selling the tractor.

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #58  
Not sure if it helps on the 5400, but the MX5100 is on the rear axle housing....looking at back of tractor it is slightly higher (I think) and a little to the left of the PTO shaft
Deleted

Last edited:
   / HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #59  
After I changed the hydraulic filters recently the level is now normal after about 1/2 qt loss during the change. :ROFLMAO:

/ HST fluid level (Sightglass) location MX5400 #60  
I finally just went ahead and poured in the bottle of John D red dye before selling the tractor.

Saw your post from a few months ago:

John Thomas is alive and well or as well as a 74 year old can be. I've moved from my mountain to a subdivision lot/home and have a 2 year old MX5400 HST with 125 hours for sale for $32,500 listed in this forums for sale section and lots of implements, LOTS, not listed anywhere (Will take to Ford Bros June farm auction if not sold by then!!! Come Look, come try and come buy. I did my final sale/trade and purchase from Steve Barlow last week #31. He now has a ZD1211 with near 100 hours with 72" deck with mulching kit and I have coming a ZG422 54" with mulching kit. ZZD Machine is on his lot and the mulching kit arrived while I was there Friday bringing my old owners book to ZD and my proof of Farming Veteran membership for the $100 discount by Barlow/Kubota. I have been absent from the TBN forum for awhile with drop ins but not many posts. Saw that obit and a few people were surprised to see me a few days/weeks later :) :). Mostly glad it wasn't me since my Grands would miss me.

Hope you enjoy your new home.
I don't think I could ever move back into town after living in the country for 5 years.
My next long term move, I hope, will be in a pine box.