Huffed and puffed and...

/ Huffed and puffed and... #1  

gsganzer

Elite Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
...blew my turn-out shed over!!

We had some strong storms come through last night. It appears we had a micro-burst or a very strong straight line wind that came at just the right angle (out of the east). The shed sustained some dents, but is otherwise alright and I can uprighted it pretty easily (I'll anchor it down from now on). There aren't any animals in the pasture, so no injuries. The pipe fence will require some straightening.

The storm also caused some roof damage to my neighbors riding arena. It looks like it peeled back about 6 r-panels.

Attachments

• Huffed and puffed.jpg
    Huffed and puffed.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 179
   / Huffed and puffed and... #2  
I think that was the same storm that went through here.We got the wind but the rain just barely missed us. It hovered over on the other side of the highway from us for about 2 hours and dumped 6 inches of rain. I got a drop or two in my gauge. That sucked.

2 years ago I had my pig barn picked up and deposited 2 miles away on a neighbors farm. My neighbor in the other direction lost one of his horse shelters and it came down here almost exactly where my pig barn was. Luckily no animals or humans were hurt at least.

/ Huffed and puffed and... #3  
Sorry to see the damage to your shed, but relieved it wasn't very serious. It's one of those pics that would be fun to blow up and frame just to show what happens from time to time.

How are you going to anchor it down?

I'm worried about something like that happening to my hunting blind that I'm going to build. I'm still clearing the trees from the area and need to remove some dirt, but I'm concerned about those winds hitting it just right. My thought is to run a strap several feet into the concrete footing and then screw it into the legs of the stand to tie it all together.

If you dug a hole with an auger and did the same for each corner, it should hold it there no matter how strong the winds are. Of course, you might have other damage, but those corners should still be there.

We were dead center in that storm last night. It looked like a line coming down from the North on Interstate 30, then down to us on I-20. We didn't get too much wind, just a little thunder and lightning and 1.25 inches of rain.

The radar shows another similar storm about an hour away from us right now. I hope you don't get hit with another burst of wind before you get the shed anchored down.

Eddie

/ Huffed and puffed and...
Eddie,
I'll either use the auger style anchor used for mobile homes or some of these.

/ Huffed and puffed and... #5  
I hope you did not get anything that was stored inside broken. Any hail? What did the chickens say after being tumbled?

/ Huffed and puffed and...
Redbug,
It was a "turn-out shed" or "loafing shed" for a horse. It's essentially a three sided shed for free range horses (or cattle) to take refuge. I got rid of my horse a year ago, so there were no occupants.

/ Huffed and puffed and... #7  
I think the NWS shows the highest gusts of wind yesterday at the Denton airport were 36 mph. I'm sure you got a little more than that.:D In fact, I think we had stronger winds than that for awhile that was sure whipping the tops of the trees back and forth, but no damage that I know of. And the NWS shows the airport got 1.8" of rain yesterday and today. Altogether I might have gotten as much as .29" of an inch.:( Day before yesterday I watered the yard most of the day, then yesterday morning I mowed early (7:30 a.m.) and the whole yard was already dry and dusty.:rolleyes: So I had hoped for a little more rain than we got.

/ Huffed and puffed and... #8  
Bird, we got a little over 1" of rain and most of it came overnight on Saturday night. We slept with the windows open and the sound of gentle rain most of the night. We had some initial gusts, but nothing like Denton got. Also, I wias shocked to see the damage at the marina on Lewisville Lake last night on the news. It pushed floating docks up onto the shore and turned over several really big boats. I'm sure the damage will be in the $millions$. I think isolated downbursts did most of the damage.

/ Huffed and puffed and... #9  
Jim, I missed the news about damage at the lake; hadn't heard about that.