HVAC questions

/ HVAC questions #1  

yanmars

Platinum Member
I need to install HVAC in a 2 story building. At this time the walls and floors are pretty much open. My only real options are propane or electric for the most part.
Have read some about the mini splits and comb heat pumps. Some of the combo heat pumps say they are quite efficient, SEER values from 16 to 27. They advertise the heat pumps now work to -20F. They advertise they would save heating/cooling costs of about 25 % over other systems in smaller units and no need necessarily for ductwork. I know one can promise anything. Just hoping some have had real world experiences with the newer high efficiency units.
My daughter has an older mini split system and does not like it for an add on room. My neighbor has a somewhat newer unit and likes it. Thoughts?

/ HVAC questions #2  
I'd go with geothermal, as the ground is much warmer than the air!. and for supplemental heat, propane instead of the very costly electric!..

/ HVAC questions #3  
All depends on where you putting machinery.

What work on Longgggg Island not work so good in Arizona.

/ HVAC questions
I should have mentioned I live in western Ohio. The ground is on the 1/4 section farm so I would have room for geothermal if I would decide to go that way. I thought that was quite a bit more expensive however. Just in the initial stages of asking. Glad for everyone's input.

/ HVAC questions #5  
I have a mini-split in our cabin that we installed ourselves 6 years ago. The biggest concern I had about them was whether they would produce warm air or whether they would blow air only 1* above ambient which would make it feel cold to me. Until this last week here in Texas it's only had to deal with temps down to 17* and it's done fine keeping the cabin warm (70*) and the air is warm enough I'll go stand under it when I feel cold. This week the temps got down to 0* and it is still keeping the cabin at 70* with warm air. We like it. The cabin is 36' long and is a single room with the only partition being the bathroom and it has no problem circulating the air. The various spots in the room range from 69* to 71* which may be the tolerance of that particular sensor. If you have multiple rooms, your results may be different.

/ HVAC questions #6  
1st I think you asking in wrong place.
Quick search give me dis. Is Geothermal Worth It in My Region? | GeoExchange(R) Forum
Got bunch other hits I didn't click to look.

BIG question, how long you gonna live der? Long time put system makes you happiest.

Geothermal good system IF and only IF you understand and can install yourself. You need contractor you bleed thru eyeballs and get crap system.

You in Ohio, energy cost going UP. No more burning coal soon and you live on top of coal pile. Even burning gas gonna go away in few years so /electric cost way more thanks to Greeny buyin politician. Geothermal totally electric so gonna cost you to run. Propane price probably stay low unless China need plastic pellets.

Walls & ceilings open give you chance to install proper duct now. Use fiberglass and mylar duct wid fiberglass cover and cut duct loss. Can even install proper duct system to blow cold air near ceiling from AC exchanger. Cheap to do now and best energy efficiency you gonna live der long time.

Minisplit big advertising, but is a lifestyle too. Some people like, some hate. Similar unit is hi velosity ducting from central exchanger. Exchanger can be pretty much any fuel. Again, you need contractor you gonna bleed.

You got water available cheap think on wet roof evaporation cooling or even heat harvester in attic. Either one cheaper to run den conventional AC in summer. Power vent attic space to minimize AC load too. Ohio cool at night, small fan pull accumulated heat out of attic and insulation cheap.

Make up chart of benefits and desires den pick. Whole lot of choices to be made den fuel.

/ HVAC questions #7  
I'd go with geothermal, as the ground is much warmer than the air!. Also chekc ut this page for some info on how to get loan with no credit check and for supplemental heat, propane instead of the very costly electric!..
Isn't it a little bit costly?

Last edited:
   / HVAC questions #9  
An option similar to a mini-split is a Variable Refrigerant Volume (VRV) system. It has one outdoor condensing unit with multiple indoor units, which can be controlled independently. These systems are very efficient, but not as efficient as ground source. However, the cost of a VRV system is considerable less than ground source. Even with propane heaters as a backup, it's cheaper than ground source. They are very common in Europe and Asia and gaining popularity in this country.

/ HVAC questions #10  
The key to geothermal is what is the government incentives? We have had ours roughly 8 years. At that time we wrote a big chunk of the cost, like roughly 30%. I think it’s 26% now. So for a 20k system you would write $5200 off your taxes. As I recall, that’s off your taxes not your income, so a 20k system costs you more like $14800. I also pay less for the electricity the geothermal uses but that probably depends on your utility. For us the payback was more like 5 years.

It also depends on what’s available to you, I live outside of town so no natural gas. Without the tax incentives geothermal doesn’t look so good if you have natural gas available. With the incentives it looks good.