Hydraulic augers?

/ Hydraulic augers? #11  
9” Auger, 3’ flute, 48” OAL, pretty much buried.

IMG_9351.jpg

IMG_9352.jpg

/ Hydraulic augers? #12  
Is that an Auger Torque unit?

Also, what bit sizes do you run? I was going to go with a single 12" bit which will be used mostly for sinking 4x4 fence posts with maybe a couple 6x6 corner posts.
Not a Auger Torque unit, a McMillen X1475 running 2" hex drive with 12" rock/ frost and dirt bits and tree planting auger ( 36" max dia but tapered at tip for an inverse cone shaped hole for trees/ shrubs ).
I use the 12" for 8x8 posts and broken telephone poles that I get for free from local power utility and use for gate posts. Telephone polls already treated for maximal ground contact/ wood destroying insects so they last a long time.

I will take pics of bits when I am in NC on Wed or Thursday of this week.

Other major benefits of FEL ( SSQA) mounted auger are being able to drill at an angle, better visibility of where bit is ( the approach angle) not having to move tractor while drilling for 4 foot bits ( just curl the loader to keep the bit vertical as it goes into ground, a bit more reach between tractor and hole being drilled, and really being able to put some serious down pressure on the bit. My M59 scales at 9K+ Lbs with auger mounted.

A future improvement on FEL mounted auger is to mount a SSQA with correct adapter so my backhoe, with its quick coupler, can run the auger on the end of the hoe. Just like a excavator can. Future project.

Some details on torque vs flow at psi

1663008703431.png

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic augers?
I got a price for a Digga 1DSS from a semi-local distributor. $3100 plus tax, no shipping. This includes the drive unit, SSQA, 1/2" ag couplers and the standard A4 bit in 12".

1DSS.JPG

/ Hydraulic augers? #14  
I got a price for a Digga 1DSS from a semi-local distributor. $3100 plus tax, no shipping. This includes the drive unit, SSQA, 1/2" ag couplers and the standard A4 bit in 12".
iptman,

I guess thats a reasonable price for auger and bit, given today's crazy prices for tools.

Here is screen shot of what I paid in 2016
1663252716956.png

I'm trying to avoid buying implements right now unless a amazing opportunity comes along.

/ Hydraulic augers?
Should I consider the tungsten bits or standard? On the 12" bit the tungsten is another $75. If they're more for longevity versus the ground/rock they can get through then for my personal use it wouldn't be required.

/ Hydraulic augers? #16  
I got the RC4 rock/clay augers, and you definitely want the SSQA with the moveable mount, not the fixed one. When the auger is in the middle, you pretty much need a spotter, as you can’t see it at all.
I paid just under $4k for the auger, moveable mount and bit delivered to PA, pretty sure that included 6% PA tax as well.

/ Hydraulic augers? #17  
I think you'll be ok with those numbers. My tractor hydraulic specs are 14.1 gpm overall, 4.7 for power steering, = 9.4 gpm for implement use. The auger I use specs 6-15 gpm required for the hydraulic motor.
It works great, but slower in rpm's than what I am used to with regular pto powered augers. Not really an issue other than it won't sling earth out as well when lifting the auger out. I adapt by stopping the auger in the hole and raising it out with the flutes (?) filled with dirt, then sling it off.
You can't beat the convenience and down pressure with these augers! I'll never go back to a 3 point pto auger.
We have ours mounted on the loader. Just tilt it horizontal to get the dirt off. Turns slow? Just push down with loader, goes down faster than any pto rig I ever used. When front wheels are off the ground, it drills just fine.

/ Hydraulic augers?
I'll have to check if they spec'd the movable mount or if that's the standard.

/ Hydraulic augers?
Digga 1DSS ordered. I got the 12 inch tungsten bit and made sure they spec'd the adjustable mount.