Hydraulic augers?

/ Hydraulic augers? #21  
Digga 1DSS ordered. I got the 12 inch tungsten bit and made sure they spec'd the adjustable mount.
Contemplating this one myself, curious as to what your total cost was and looking forward to a review once you put it to work!

/ Hydraulic augers?
Contemplating this one myself, curious as to what your total cost was and looking forward to a review once you put it to work!

Give Jim at Ferrara Equipment a call. Great guy and easy to work with. Digga is shipping mine directly to me so it'd be no issue getting one to Texas.

Jim Southward
Ferrara Equipment Company
(804) 937-8137

jsouthward@ferraraequipment.com

/ Hydraulic augers? #23  
Digga 1DSS ordered. I got the 12 inch tungsten bit and made sure they spec'd the adjustable mount.
I expect you will be very pleased with FEL hydraulic driven auger performance. The performance of FEL vs 3 point hitch is like night and day. Did you get the hex or round driven shaft?

Please update thread with your experiences as some other contributors are interested in how the motor and auger bit perform.

/ Hydraulic augers?
I expect you will be very pleased with FEL hydraulic driven auger performance. The performance of FEL vs 3 point hitch is like night and day. Did you get the hex or round driven shaft?

Please update thread with your experiences as some other contributors are interested in how the motor and auger bit perform.

It's a 2" hex connection.

Unfortunately they're 4-6 weeks lead time at the moment so that's a bummer but it'll be here before long.

/ Hydraulic augers? #25  
I've only got a 3ph auger, but could've definitely used down pressure as I've had to limit my augering to the months here when when the ground has a bit of moisture in it because our clay becomes nigh impenetrable. When I had to have a hole in mid-August, I literally pre-dug 6" by hand with a pick, filled it with water, and refilled it the next day when the previous water had soaked in (and dried, more probably, in the 10% humidity); then hand-dug down another 6" so that the next soak could be more effective, and only then was the auger without down pressure able to do anything.

I've considered getting a SSQA hydraulic auger at auction as the local-ish place had a bunch a couple months ago. I figure that my augering almost never uses much more than my tractor at idle, so if the gpm of my tractor was a hair low (9.8 vs 10) it should still be fine. The main reason I didn't pull the trigger is that I'm hoping that my augering at this property is mostly done at this point with a perimeter fence being complete. The occasional future hole for trees or whatever will be done in late fall when my 3ph unit is effective.

/ Hydraulic augers? #26  
Found my LP SA20 auger at a Kubota dealer that also sells construction equipment. Has the medium flow motor, it's slow (way faster than hand digging), never had to drill new hole because of striking tree root. FEL has enough weight to use float for down pressure. When tractor starts to rock sideways, pop it out of float, auger needs time to chew thru tree root. Applying down pressure only raises front axle and tractor will twist right or left. You'll have to pull auger and realign tractor to finish hole.

Reconnecting auger - If you connect hoses together to keep couplers clean, the motor can free-wheel and you have a 2 axis swivel connecting motor to frame. I built a parking stand to address these issues.
20220613_171922.jpg

Another toy for the home owner (not the right tool for commercial contractor) is a stump plane.
20220610_150001.jpg

/ Hydraulic augers? #27  
How much torque does it seem to be putting on the loader when chewing through roots & stumps?
I'm guessing nothing like when you scrape with the bucket more on one side than the other

/ Hydraulic augers?
I got my 1DSS last week. Has anyone with a hydraulic auger figured out a good storage solution when not on the tractor?

PXL_20221108_223718597.jpg

/ Hydraulic augers? #29  
i'm kinda jealous, though most of my hole-drilling should be complete on this piece of land

next place, i'll buy myself this sort of unit no doubt! i've been most unimpressed by the 3ph auger. never got it stuck, just more of a problem of it not biting into the hard clay half the year...

/ Hydraulic augers? #30  
I dont have an auger for my loader but I do have one on a 19hp micro EX. Even with my hard clay/shale and a 12in bit it never really hit anything that you couldn't work it though. It's very hard to stop the auger and you can actual aim the auger. Mine dosnt spin fast enough to throw the dirt out so in a 12x48in hole you may have to remove the auger 3-4x including a clean out pass. Way quicker than a single stuck 3pt auger.