Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed?

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed? #1  

roadhunter

Elite Member
Tractor
JCB 212SU
I have a project that from my limited understanding of hydraulics is possible but I think I'd prefer an expert opinion to confirm that what I am attempting is going to work.

I ran across a Stanley CS06 hydraulic chainsaw that I was interested in using with my tractor, 45 HP Bobcat. I believe I have around 8 GPM and 2,000 psi at my auxiliary hydraulics which falls within the 7-9 gpm range and 1500-2,000 psi for the saw.
http://www.stanleyhydraulics.com/sites/stanleyhydraulic.com/files/pdf/cs05-cs06-specsheet.pdf
Chain Saws | Stanley Hydraulic

Tractor specs
TractorData.com Bobcat CT445 tractor information

Not sure if this is even possible but if so the question is what size and how long could I go with the hoses to run the saw without really hurting performance? The saw comes with a short sub hose that is 1/2" but it has a 3/8 npt fitting that goes into the flat face QC. Essentially they hook directly to the saw and are about a foot long. The QC fittings are on the end.

I was thinking I could use 1/2 hose but after seeing the 3/8 NPT fitting on the QC I wasn't sure if that was necessary. I figured that the fitting would essentially act as a restrictor making the use of 1/2 hose unnecessary but OTOH I wasn't sure that it might not be a good thing for a longer run. I'd like to run at least 15-20 ft of hose and probably more like 25-30 if possible to have some range from the tractor. What size and length would you recommend for this application?
Hunting 003.jpg

And for the really difficult question.
I was looking at a little vermeer 430a trencher turned skidder I recently purchased and wondered if there was any possibility of putting a diverter on the line that feeds the hydraulic winch to feed the saw? And if so do you have any idea what kind of flow this machine might make, it has a 20 hp deutz? The winch is a ramsey 5,000 pound.

$_12 (3).JPG
$_12.JPG

Thanks for your time and help.

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed? #2  
I have a hydraulic stone cutting chainsaw and three (Stanley) jackhammers. Although these tools are neat in their own way, they are very awkward to use. The tools are heavy enough and then dragging all that hose around is difficult. Cleaning the hose and coiling it up again, keeping the flat faced connectors clean and undamaged from impacting the ground, is quite the chore.

They do not seem to require much flow.

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed? #3  
Look at your saw and see if it is open center hyd or closed center hyd.

In an open center hyd system, all the valves should be in series,

In a closed center hyd system, all the valves are in parrallel.

20 HP can drive a 10 GPM pump at 3000 psi if that is all it did.

Depends on your system whether you can use a diverter.

A diverter can make your valve operate two independent operations.

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed? #4  
I sure wouldn't want to add the weight of hoses ect.. to my chainsaw! Plus dragging them around AND the trip hazard too... NO thanks!

SR

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed?
JJ,

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I have looked through the specs and can't seem to find anything to determine if it is and open or closed center valve. Is there something on the saw I can specifically look for?

Watching videos of people using them makes me thing they are likely open center valves. Some were running off a skid steer so it appeared they had simply engaged the auxiliary hydraulics and those were flowing all the time. Seems like they almost have to be open.

Sawyer,

Not sure why you made those comments but to be fair having another engine to maintain, fuel to buy/mix and drag around, noise of a 2 stroke running, and having to start a saw 50+ of times a day is not that appealing to me. This will primarily be used to trim posts as they come off a pto powered post peeler so it will be really handy not having to start it so many times when I need to make a few short cuts. The tractor is already running anyway so the fuel costs will be nearly nothing. Gas and Hydraulic saws both have good and bad points as well as applications they each excel in. Just because you don't' care for them doesn't mean they won't work for someone else with a different application or situation.

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed? #6  
I good quality electric saw might be easier for your job. I wouldn't want to drag hoses around.

I good quality electric saw might be easier for your job. I wouldn't want to drag hoses around.

Good point. I thought about that. But the electric saws simply don't' have the power the gas and hydraulic saws have unless you use a big 230v electric motor. The other issue is not electric outlet on the tractor and running a generator would defeat the purpose of not having an engine to maintain for the saw.

I will say that the electric saws I looked at have come a long way from the old days.

I understand the concerns about hoses but the reality is that I wont' really ever be dragging hoses or stepping over them. The saw will sit at the end of the post peeler and if a post needs to be trimmed I can reach down and grab it to make a cut without having to start a gas powered saw for a couple of seconds of cutting. I may even rig it up with another cylinder to do the cut automatically like some higher end machines have.

Clearly felling trees in a large area would not be a strong point of this machine. Gas saws have a huge advantage in that scenario. I think these are popular in application that are stationary or things like working out of a bucket truck.

/ Hydraulic chainsaw off hydraulic winch feed? #8  
roadhunter,

I found out the difference about the open and closed center hyd.

If there is an adjustable screw slot, you can select the open or closed center setting by turning the screw.

The letters stamped might be X for closed and O for open center hyd system.

If no screw selection, look at the saw input area for the letters O or X.

I have a hyd chain saws that is closed center.

I also have about 7 or the hyd cutters with about a 2 in cut the tree trimmers use.

I also have a backpack hyd unit for a hyd rotary saw.

You also need a relief valve set for around 2000 psi.

JJ,

I just ran across the same information. Looks like it will work with both.
Operation - Stanley CS05 User Manual [Page 13]
2. Make certain that the hydraulic power source isequipped with a relief valve set to open at 2100 -2250 psi/145-155 bar.

SYSTEM SELECTION (OC/CC)Saws configured with the system selector option requiresetup for the system, closed-center (CC) or open-center(CC), in which it will operate. The selector screw is lo-cated in the bottom end of the valve spool.1. Determine the system type.2. For operation in a CC system, turn the selectorscrew fully clockwise. When the selector screw bot-toms, CC operation is selected.3. For operation in an OC system, turn the selectorscrew counter-clockwise until meeting resistance(from the retaining ring). Turn the selector screwclockwise and then counter-clockwise to be surethat you are sensing resistance of the retaining ring.Do not force the selector screw

Sounds like you have quite a collection of hydraulic saws!

So it sounds like from what I have read that I need to put a pressure relief valve on the supply side of the hydraulic feed. I'm thinking I'll put that close to the tractor where I attach to the QC and just make it part of the feed hose setup so it always stays with the saw. Then I need to get some hoses. It looks like Stanley uses 3/8 hoses so I'll probably stick with that unless you suggest I go with 1/2". I'm thinking 25 ft will probably be about right. How long do you think I can go without hurting the performance?

The little skidder gets here Sunday so I'll get into it and take some better pics to see if there is any option to hook the saw to it as well. Thanks for taking the time to help.