Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #31  
I have had 2 instances that it was very difficult to plug in the attachment. One was when I bought my grapple and it was a hot day in the sun so the fitting had to be cracked. The other time was plugging in the loader on a warm day and there was more pressure than normal. The last time I used the FEL was when it was about -10F.

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #32  
IMG_1085.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

I made this clamp 20 years ago for two things. Kubota B20 backhoe and flat face grapple QDs. Doesn’t take much pressure just more than I could do by hand. Use to have to crack a JIC fitting.

Since then bought the Waite plier and it works too but you lose a little fluid.

Most times I don’t need extra help just every so often especially if I’m in a hurry.

With the pioneer type QDs on the remotes I could make them leak to connect equipment. With the newer HST tractors I prefer the flat faced connectors that I can keep cleaner.

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #33  
Summit HP38-06N-SET

Nigh & Day difference! I no longer bother doing the steps to cut off the engine, activate the grapple valves, etc.

IMG_4762.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg

IMG_4760.jpg

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #34  
The fluid in the grapple expands and contracts as the temperature rises and falls. It expands more than I thought it would, and it does not take much pressure to make the quick connects operable.

I thought that connecting the grapple lines together would address it but that doesn't work for me. If the temp rises more than about 10 degrees between when I disconnected the grapple to when I want to connect it again the grapple QCs that are connected to each other won't disconnect.

My solution was to make a device with a tee, two quick connects and a ball valve. The grapple lines get plugged in when I remove the grapple. When it's time to put the grapple on I let the pressure out with the valve, then disconnect the device and plug into the tractor. I made one for the backhoe as well. The ball valve has a cap on the end so dirt won't get in there and potentially into the hydraulic system.
I have a kubota with a grapple I run 2 hoses back to the remotes on the year.i close the grapple then shut off the tractor then work the hydraulic lever back and forth a couple times then unplug them.never once had a problem plugging them back in

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #36  
I found out that pressure was the issue with my FEL.
Where I kept it was in full sun from about 10 AM to 2 PM.
If I connected it when it was still in the shade, no issues.
But if it sat in the sun for even 1/2 hour it was near impossible to put on a couple of the couplers.

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #37  
My brother gave me one of the Waite Hydraulic Decompression Tools years ago. I don;t find I need it often, but it's a handy tool when the hydraulic oil in my grapple has heated up and expanding while not in use. The tool is small enough to fit in the tiny toolbox that came with my tractor, so it rides there full time now. As someone else already mentioned, I believe George Waite is no longer making them, but Ken's Bolt-on Hooks now has them:

(scroll down the page to find the tool)

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #38  
Based on one of Andrew Camarata's videos, I bought this Irwin hydraulic coupler clamps:

NavBtns_Top_QC-Mate_2018.jpg

About $80. Now, no more fiddle-farting around attaching my grapple. Made life a lot easier.

5 minutes with a grinder will turn this $12 welding clamp from Harbor Freight into a similar tool:

P1090127b.jpg
P1090124b.jpg
P1090123b.jpg

/ Hydraulic connections won’t go on Grapple #39  
I haven't had this issue since I started connecting the implement fitting together after removal. For implements that have hard mounted fittings I use a short hose with matching fittings to loop them together.

My backhoe was the worst but not one issue since I started connecting the end together.

Last edited: