Hydraulic limb saw project.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #61  
Good report and pictures Smokey. Very impressive project all around !! Keep grinning, Nobody will blame you.

gg

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
Another variation would be a swivel behind the saw to let it rotate 360 in the horizontal plane. Would exponentially increase the complexity, of course.

With the square receiver with 3/4” jam bolt, the boom and saw can be clocked in four positions. Maybe to the right is the best way to utilize this feature?

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #63  
Looks like operator visibility has you on the edge of your seat!

Impressive...thoughtful design and nicely fabricated.

If this is one is Model U235, does that mean there will be more!

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #64  
Smokey, I noticed that your construction utilizes square tubing telescoping into square tubing. I'm curious how you deal with the weld seam inside the tubes.

Looks like operator visibility has you on the edge of your seat!

Impressive...thoughtful design and nicely fabricated.

If this is one is Model U235, does that mean there will be more!

When you see videos in operation usually from an advantageous spot to highlight the tool. Not from the operator seat! Even with decades of past crane operator license with eye testing and remote robotic processing expertise, it is a real challenge to line up the saw for a cut. Small movements in loader control or steering are large swings in saw position. Having a second person helps. A well placed camera in the motor armor cover option needs explored. Going to have to revisit some tractor camera articles.

Having ROPS roof in the woods has saved me from falling limbs several times. This would be a scary tool with an open station tractor.

While it’s a good cutter, it can be improved. Need to reduce the hinge weight the saw bar sees. Several ideas in the cooker.

Smokey, I noticed that your construction utilizes square tubing telescoping into square tubing. I'm curious how you deal with the weld seam inside the tubes.

Used different methods from band file to broaching. Depends on how long and how much slip fit you want. On this saw boom simply ground a groove on the inner pieces to clear most of the weld seams. Still had to press the pieces together. Not elegant or skillful, used the tractor bumping a rock wall to push together for the right engagement before welding. Also plug welded and added a strong back to tie the three pieces together.
IMG_2109.JPG

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #67  
Do you have your foot on the brake when you cut?

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #68  

Also if you want to slip 2" square inside 2- 1/2" you can get 2- 1/2" X .238 with a flattened seam at most steel suppliers. Some times called trailer hitch tubing. At a slight premium of course but not much.

gg

Do you have your foot on the brake when you cut?

Yes. Often set the parking brake so I have less to worry about when positioning to see larger cuts. Started with the easy stuff first.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #70  
Gordon brings up a good point - my steel supplier has a slightly different "trailer hitch tube" available, their "2 1/2" is actually 2.530, and wall thickness is a full .250" - that's what I use in combination with .250" wall 2" tube for all my "tinker toy" projects, works great... Steve