Hydraulic limb saw project.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #111  
Smokey, I noticed that your construction utilizes square tubing telescoping into square tubing. I'm curious how you deal with the weld seam inside the tubes.
Npalen- Google "seams impossible tool". It is a bearing sled for a 3/4" carbide burr that is shimmed to the tube ID and seam location. Works great, though it takes time to make the shims that locate it in the tube.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project.
IMG_2254.JPG

Before.
IMG_2256.JPG

After trimming about 30, 0.5-3.5” limbs in 10 minutes. 1-2” limbs cut fast like being clipped at idle. Improving technique with experience.

Other jobs include trimming oak horizontal limbs 40’ long and larger than 20” diameter at trunk. Small Brush and grape vines cut use fwd/rev and loader control while running saw. Hard to get a meaningful photo.

Been low maintenance and rugged. Had yet to get bar stuck in kerf. Chain stall yes. Quick reverse then forward continues cut.

Generates a tremendous amount of limbs to move quickly. Can cut much faster than grapple and carry off. Cut most of time at idle with auto throttle on for moving.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #113  
Would be nice if the cut limbs would fall straight into the hopper of a chipper and get mulched without any more work.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #114  
How have you adjusted your bar lube since you started using the saw? How much have you added to your tractor?

How have you adjusted your bar lube since you started using the saw? How much have you added to your tractor?

I adjusted the chain oiler down but seemed to be dry on thick oak so adjusted back. It doesn’t use much oil. Time needed to run the saw is low because it cuts so fast. Added about 1.5qt some time ago to bring slightly above top line full. Still hanging around full after hundreds of cuts. All with original chain and 2nd bar.

/ Hydraulic limb saw project. #117  
I built one a few years ago and love it. Used a hydraulic motor and chainsaw bar.

Attachments

• 20191030_181215.jpg
    20191030_181215.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 170
  • 20191114_164520.jpg
    20191114_164520.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 150
  • 20191128_152456.jpg
    20191128_152456.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 169
  • 20191128_152500.jpg
    20191128_152500.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 174
  • 20191128_152547.jpg
    20191128_152547.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 179
I built one a few years ago and love it. Used a hydraulic motor and chainsaw bar.

That’s good work. Nice adaptation to your pallet forks. The saw has been a valuable tool for trimming trees on our farm. Wasn’t real sure how well such a tool would work on our hillside farm or be useful. It’s dance card is going to be full for many years.

Attaching the chain drive spur to the hydraulic motor one of the biggest problems to solve. I was buying chainsaw drive spur, shim adapter sleeve and key way broaches to make my own. Then simply bought a drive gear from LimbSaw.

I was worried about using the hydraulic oil to lubricate the saw chain. Takes so little because the saw cuts so fast. Something to be aware of but doesn’t require much attention or maintenance.

Wanting to build or modify a ssqa trailer hitch plate for the polesaw. Kinda like the center open type to see the hitch? What kind/brand trailer mover works best for you?

Will weld a vertical receiver or two for the polesaw.

The 6’ grapple add on receiver works good for reaching high in trees. Grapple can get in the way when cutting lower limbs more horizontal on the wooded trails. Plus it’s lots on additional weight to have up high on a slope.

Scrapyard just got a big truck load of new, in -the -box trailer hitches. $0.30/#. People are buying pickup truck loads. Handy material to have around.

IMG_2371.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

Mounted the polesaw on the B26. 7gpm vs the M59 16gpm. Didn’t cut the big stuff (16”) like before but could not really tell the speed was reduced by much. 3” limbs cut in a second. While the smaller tractor is nimble it can’t reach as high or as stable on a side slope. Even a small tractor can run a polesaw. Motor Parker MGG20025 from surpluscenter.com

Cut lots of cab/face slappers 1-3” lateral limbs on the woods roads and clearings. Beech trees are the worst with sharp buds. Sometimes cutting down and sometimes vertically going backwards. Going backwards the saw can swing on the hinge to keep from damage. Cut a 10” horizontal maple limb growing into a field. Then cut into 15’ sections to haul away. Cutting down trees or limbs tricky. Sometimes cut partially to break or fold up with grapple to haul away.