Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid?

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #1  

future_vision

Gold Member
Tractor
DK6010SE HSA
Installed my DKA144 3rd function valve kit per the instructions and I have leaks. The directions say noting about using teflon tape or threadlock. I have leaks however. Got the hoses and couples threaded together pretty tight. Not really sure what is going on though. Was I supposed to use some teflon tape or threadlock? This video(at 21:38) he adds it but at the very end of the thread so it won't be anywhere near the hydraulic fluid flow.

Here is the diagram of the kit. Sorry it is a bit pixelated. Hard time find info online.

1668961453179.png

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #2  
No tape. I use PST or some other thread lock type material. Nothing means leaks for sure.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid?
No tape. I use PST or some other thread lock type material. Nothing means leaks for sure.
I assume this is something I could probably pick up at a local Tractor Supply store. Maybe at a Home Depot or Lowes? Any particular brand?

I also assume that the threads need to be cleaned off before applying the the thread fluid. Any particular procedure to do this?

Sorry for all the questions. Still new to tractors and such.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #4  
Yea, cleanliness with this is critical. It's why you aren't supposed to use tape. Danger of getting tape pieces in hyd fluid. PST is basically liquid teflon. Some folks don't like it but in the instrumentation world we use it all the time. Box stores have it. If you can't find it use some type of thread sealant.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #5  
I use LocTite 545 as recommended by others on this site. It is designed for this application. It works well. I think you'll have to order it on line. I've not seen it in a store.

I clean the threads with a paper towel to get the bulk of the oil off and then use some solvent (of a type that evaporates) on a clean paper towel to get the rest off. In my experience you don't need to be super aggressive and get all the oil molecules off, just do a reasonable job.

I use LocTite 545 as recommended by others on this site. It is designed for this application. It works well. I think you'll have to order it on line. I've not seen it in a store.

I clean the threads with a paper towel to get the bulk of the oil off and then use some solvent (of a type that evaporates) on a clean paper towel to get the rest off. In my experience you don't need to be super aggressive and get all the oil molecules off, just do a reasonable job.
Solvent like brake cleaner fluid?

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #7  
I use Teflon pipe tape BUT NOT TOWARDS THE END OF THE THREADS, back about 1/16 to 1/8" from the end. You don't want tape getting in your hydraulic oil flow. Never had an issue. I also use Kubota 3 Bond sealant. It's non hardening. depends on what I have handy.

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #8  
Just for note, only the NPT threads need sealant. Don't need anything on JIC or orb. So not sure what all fittings you have leaking.

They probably didn't mention it cause they assumed anyone tackling a diy kit would probably know NPT needs sealer

Last edited:
Just for note, only the NPT threads need sealant. Don't need anything on JIC or orb. So not sure what all fittings you have leaking.

They probably didn't mention it cause they assed anyone tackling a diy kit would probably know NPT needs sealer

Most likely this would be where the hose connector is going into the pioneer couplers like the guy did in the video at minute 21:40 and 22:40?

/ Hydraulic Pioneer Couplers - tape/fluid or no tape/fluid? #10  
I tape them all or use liquid sealer, dry seal or not.