Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's.

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #21  
I'd have to guess that you've never read about the decision process I went through to buy both of my last tractors.

That's OK... Too much on here to ever begin to keep up!

The local guys were more than $6,000 higher than the dealer I bought the tractor from - FOB Alaska. I offered to split the difference and "eat" the $3,000 loss. They wouldn't budge.

Same scenario when I bought my 110. Just over $6K difference. However, that was FOB - Seattle at the time. Fuel, lodging, etc - I figured I could do the whole thing myself for ~$2,500. But, I offered to split the difference. No can do...

Behavior... business or otherwise doesn't change unless there's a strong incentive to do so. Rolling over and "rewarding" the local dealership with buying from them irregardless of the rest of the marketplace is not very sensible - IMO.

No.... we're gonna be "wrestling" in the mud on this difference in perspective's for some time!

It's very likely that I'll be in the market for another tractor in the next couple of years. I want another cab tractor. Probably go with a 4720 - I'm thinking.

We'll see where/who will sell me that one.. won't be holdin' my breath on the local dealer!

AKfish

Can't say you didn't give them a chance! For shipping in two different countries and still be $6000 over, I'd be going elsewhere as well.

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's.
Can't say you didn't give them a chance! For shipping in two different countries and still be $6000 over, I'd be going elsewhere as well.

Yep... I've probably corresponded with 7-8 new tractor buyers in the past 18 months and all of them have purchased new machines in the lower 48 states.

There's a difference between "a reasonable margin" and just plain "greedy"! :mad:

AKfish

Shop foreman says next week they're gonna tear into my tractor. After conversing with Deere - he says the repair recommendation is a new hydraulic pump.

If that's all it is; should be done in a day. 'Course they'll have to order the pump...

AKfish

The shop foreman at my local JD dealership gave me the latest news on the hydraulic problem with my 5075M.

Seems that the implement pump was down by 40% on specs and the steering pump was down even more!

Deere has called for a replacement "manifold" as well as a new hydraulic pump. The manifold is in very short supply right now... read -- it's failing on a bunch of tractor's and Deere is having to fix 'em! Pronto!

They were able to track down a new manifold in Mississippi. One. That was it. He doesn't know if they'll be able to "sweet talk" the dealer there into sending it. We'll see.

If you'll look here: John Deere - Parts Catalog

The manifold is #1.

AKfish

The manifold on the 65-75M's appears to be different than the 85-105M housing. Just slightly..

There might not be the same design problem on those tractors.

AKfish

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #26  
Sorry about the problems with your new toy, err tractor. I reckon we must be patient when getting JD warranty repairs. The last JD I had repaired under warranty was at the Dealers for over four (4) weeks waiting for a gasket for the differential to be shipped, or so they said.

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #27  
What was the first year of the 50xxM tractors, 2009?

Seems odd that it would take 3 years for what appears to be a design problem to manifest itself, but then maybe not and that is why it wasn't caught during testing?

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #28  
The shop foreman at my local JD dealership gave me the latest news on the hydraulic problem with my 5075M.

Seems that the implement pump was down by 40% on specs and the steering pump was down even more!

Deere has called for a replacement "manifold" as well as a new hydraulic pump. The manifold is in very short supply right now... read -- it's failing on a bunch of tractor's and Deere is having to fix 'em! Pronto!

They were able to track down a new manifold in Mississippi. One. That was it. He doesn't know if they'll be able to "sweet talk" the dealer there into sending it. We'll see.

If you'll look here: John Deere - Parts Catalog

The manifold is #1.

AKfish

AK, your 40% lack of efficiency of the main pump could be damage from the after effects of the pump loosing it's prime........for a pump to loose it's prime it has to be one of several factors.......loose suction hose/pipe/connector or a bad pump shaft seal......all these problems could do what you say when you shut the tractor down, the suction leak allows the oil to slowly drain back to the reservoir level til you start it again.......some equipment will run perfectly fine (no air entrainment) till it is shut down and settles overnight

For them to see that it was 40% low means that they did a flow/load test, it would also show if there is a "no-flow" condition during the start-up......all contributing factors in "loosing it's prime"

Let's hope the new pump will cure it (if it was the pump shaft seal).....:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #29  
At least it happend during warranty!
My guess was an O-Ring failed and it was drawing air.
Did you notice any change in steering?
Seems like Deere would have sent the new manifold to every Dealer with unsold M series and same number as the dealer sold.

At least it happend during warranty!
My guess was an O-Ring failed and it was drawing air.
Did you notice any change in steering?
Seems like Deere would have sent the new manifold to every Dealer with unsold M series and same number as the dealer sold.

Yep... I'm very glad it happened now - and not later! Shop foreman said 6.5 hours repair time. Likely a couple of hours testing and diagnosis time, too. He said there's a "slug" of O-rings to replace.

IIRC - the pump has no price listing (currently) on JDPart's, either. Didn't check the manifold price. Nonetheless, I'm not certain when they began manufacture of this model - but, there's some "catching up" that's gotta happen...

No, I didn't really notice any loss of steering "performance" or even loader performance for that matter. No, the significant problem was not working on initial startup. That said, I did notice that the 3pt was "glitchy" and not consistent when lifting and lowering. I kinda put that off as "operator newbie" with the new fangled EH controls.

I'm getting a bit "antsy" to get it back. I should be rototilling. And then planting another pasture.

AKfish