Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics...

/ Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics... #1  

DaveOmak

Platinum Member
Tractor
'53 Jubilee
New to me 401B JD construction tractor... Loader bucket only...

I have concerns about hydraulic lines breaking and someone getting hurt...

I also want the bucket to "float" for winter snow removal..

Can I get some help with both of those things ???

Thanks for any help you can give...

Dave

Attachments

• DSCF0524.JPG
    DSCF0524.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0525.JPG
    DSCF0525.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0526.JPG
    DSCF0526.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
   / Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics... #2  
In theory it "could" be done with some plumbing and valves. Basically feeding the cylinder with TWO separate circuits. One conventional.....and a one that allows the DPCV to function. But that would require mounting the DPVC some distance from the cylinder to allow the normal operation to bypass it. So it takes some safety out of the way the system was designed.

But its not really practical. Loaders are not designed to lift people, or have people work under them. Therefore they dont make loaders with the DPCV. Simply dont do stupid stuff and put yourself in harms way.

That said....I have been lifted in, and worked under a loader before. its a calculated risk....but a machine in good shape and hoses in good condition and rated to lift a ton or more....putting myself at ~200# in the bucket was never a concern.

I dont know the statistics....but I am sure there is alot higher percentage of accidents due to falling out of a loader....or banging a head into a raised loader, than there are from failing hydraulics

/ Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics...
In theory it "could" be done with some plumbing and valves. Basically feeding the cylinder with TWO separate circuits. One conventional.....and a one that allows the DPCV to function. But that would require mounting the DPVC some distance from the cylinder to allow the normal operation to bypass it. So it takes some safety out of the way the system was designed.

But its not really practical. Loaders are not designed to lift people, or have people work under them. Therefore they dont make loaders with the DPCV. Simply dont do stupid stuff and put yourself in harms way.

That said....I have been lifted in, and worked under a loader before. its a calculated risk....but a machine in good shape and hoses in good condition and rated to lift a ton or more....putting myself at ~200# in the bucket was never a concern.

I dont know the statistics....but I am sure there is alot higher percentage of accidents due to falling out of a loader....or banging a head into a raised loader, than there are from failing hydraulics
Not knowing when a hose may fail is my concern...

So, the "safety blocks" that are installed on some equipment are not a necessity ???

I believe in doing all one can to make one equipment safe... Look for things that will prevent accidents regardless of one's actions...

Can someone help me with safety blocks... installation etc...

/ Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics... #4  
Not knowing when a hose may fail is my concern...

So, the "safety blocks" that are installed on some equipment are not a necessity ???

I believe in doing all one can to make one equipment safe... Look for things that will prevent accidents regardless of one's actions...

Can someone help me with safety blocks... installation etc...
Not sure what you mean by "safety blocks"

IF you are talking about the hydraulic device called a DPCV (double pilot check valve)....then YES they are required on teh equimpent they are installed on. Like cranes, aerial lifts, bucket trucks, etc. Because they are designed to have people either hoisted in, or working under. A tractor is neither. A tractor, or construction equipment like loaders, excavators, etc do NOT have nor do they require a safety valve.

Many will have a MECHANICAL means of locking a boom for working on/under doing maintenance.

But if you are worried about the "what-ifs" to this level with a backhoe.....quite simply dont get under the loader when raised, and dont get in it and have someone raise you. Rent or purchase the correct piece of equipment.

Thank you... "Pilot operated check valve" is the "REAL" name of the device I need help with... From what I have found on u-tube, "safety block" is the job site name...
If there is a leak in a hydraulic circuit, a "check" of the manufacturers design, closes the hydraulic circuit... A fail-safe device of sorts...

/ Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics... #6  
Depending on your capabilities or actual requirements you can install electric operated valves in the bucket lift circuit to lock it in position when de-energized and allow float when energized.

If you are working on a construction site the requirements could easily be different than a home owner working around their property.

Sounds like the system you described will solve all my ideas...

Can you please link to the item you have described ??

/ Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics... #8  
It's not a "check" that closes if something fails.

Rather it's a valve that is NORMALLY closed and won't allow flow. It takes hydraulic pressure (hence pilot operated) to open the valve and allow cylinder movement.

So a blown hose, or other Hydraulic failure defaults to the normally close position of the valve and no movement.

ANY system you try to implement to allow selective bypass of the DPCV is self defeating because it still allows for a mode of failure.

You could feed an electric selector valve/diverter valve..... Tee at the cylinder. One output of selector goes straight to tee...(the output you have to energize). The other output goes through the DPCV.

You "could" do this with one selector and one DPCV....But you'd have more hoses between the DPCV and cylinders.....which if fail have zero safety and loader will drop.

Two selectors and two DPCV's would be safer....but you still have the bypass hose going from selector to cylinder that "could" fail and cause loader drop.

With a pair of selectors, pair of DPCV's, joystick with buttons, and plumbing and hoses.....are you ready to pay $1500 in parts to make this happen?

I still ask WHY? What use do you have in mind? Do you plan on using this as an aerial lift with you in bucket? Or hoisting something heavy over your head? Because $1500 is good incentive to find another way

They are called "check valves" by Prince...

LD1, please take the day off...

Prince Pilot Operated Check Valves RD1600 Series RD1650: 20 GPM, 1/2’’ NPT Inlet/Outlet, 4:01 Ratio, Two Stage Poppet, 222180​

Brand: Prince

/ Hydraulic safety valve and float valve install on bucket hydraulics... #10  
LD1, please take the day off...
As you wish. I will unsubscribe from this thread and block you so I no longer see any of your posts.

Good luck with your issue, but I doubt you will get any help from anyone on the internet with your attitude and unwillingness to even answer simple questions. And your parents knowledge of hydraulics being zero.....you don't have the ability to even comprehend the knowledge and advise given....let alone even implement something.

Again....I wish you well. Glad I won't see it or anything further from you