Thumb Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH #1  

nasdaqsam

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Any ideas of where to get a hydraulic thumb for the BX23 BH? Is this possible or do they have to be mechanical?

Also is there something similar for the front bucket?

I would them to be hydraulic as that makes them much more usefull. I have used them many times on full size backhoes.

Thanks in advance

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH #2  
Nas,

That's going to add up to quite a bit of money and the plumbing and thumb itself will strip away some of the lifting power of the hoe. I'd consider a static thumb as others have had great success for a lot less money....if it even can be done on the BX. I'm thinking it can't, but could be wrong.

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Nas,

That's going to add up to quite a bit of money and the plumbing and thumb itself will strip away some of the lifting power of the hoe. I'd consider a static thumb as others have had great success for a lot less money....if it even can be done on the BX. I'm thinking it can't, but could be wrong. )</font>

I'm not so much worried about the money as the other aspects you mentioned. If it's going to create other issues I guess the mechanical will have to do.

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH #4  
I think the biggest problem you are going to run into is actually finding a thumb that fits on the BX. I have been looking for a thumb for my BX23 and have yet to find one that is the correct size for the BH600. All of the thumbs that I have seen look like they would mount ok on the dipperstick of the BH600 but the thumbs themselves have been too long. I saw one recently on Ebay that said it was only about 35 pounds - which should not affect the performance on the backhoe too much. I would imagine adding hydraulics to one of these smaller thumbs shouldn't add more than about 20 pounds to that total weight.

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH
Jim,

Thanks for the input.

If I could find some plans for one, even if it is to big I have a guy that does some metal fabrication for me that is really good. If he sees how one is put together he can build it. When he is done it will look factory. He's been real busy so I was trying to just buy one.

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH #6  
nasdaqsam, The link below will take you to a photo of the thumb I fabricated for my hoe. I had someone else weld it up. This isn't a real good pic. but maybe if you show it to your welder he could come up with something on a smaller scale. I used two of the teeth from my Box Blade for the (thumb) and regular plate and box steel for everything else. The pivot pins are 4140 rod.

David Photobucket

/ Hydraulic thumb for BX23 BH #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any ideas of where to get a hydraulic thumb for the BX23 BH? Is this possible or do they have to be mechanical? )</font>

<font color="blue">Rockland Mfg</font> makes "mini thumbs" for mini excavators up to 5,000lbs. Weighs only 90lbs.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also is there something similar for the front bucket? )</font>

And they also make grapples.

Ask Google: <font color="green">+(hydraulic thumbs)</font> and you'll get results that are just hydraulic thumbs.