Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself.
That's a better picture of the liberated contraption.
27777251000352.jpg

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #12  
I use the lowest top link hole on the tractor with my power top link. It makes the implement non-self-levelling (as in raising or lowering it will change its angle and you have to correct that by adjusting the top link) but it also makes the tail of the box blade pick WAY up when the top link is fully retracted and the 3pt is all the way up. I do that for this very reason of wanting to have max 'departure angle' and not dig the box blade into the ground when im doing FEL stuff in very-not-flat conditions.

It's also the same reason i kind of hate my backhoe on my other tractor. There are a fair number of times id use that one or keep using that one to do something with the FEL but it will just dig its backhoe 'tailbone' into the dirt or at least find a way to try rubbing some of its hoses open on something or other. I know backhoes are technically removable, but uh.. yeah i'd rather just go get the tractor that doesn't have the backhoe on it. 😁

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #13  
What was he doing when it liberated itself?

Some implements (I know my quick hitch comes close) can actually bind at some point in the 3PH's range of motion. Mine comes close when the hitch is raised all the way and the toplink is fully extended. The frame of the quick hitch almost contacts the cylinder rod. Which is a fair bit larger in diameter and has more range of motion than the OEM threaded toplink.
They wear out after a while with no outside help. I've replaced a few in the past myself and I always either try to source greaseable ones or I'll drill and tap a new one for a flush mount fitting.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #14  
Your father sounds like my kid . If he had a horse it would be dead in a week. 🍻

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #15  
if you're going to the trouble of welding the link - look at a quick release!

I bought mine from FitRite after learning of Euro Style 3pt quick release fittings here (but i can't for the life of me fine the thread!)

here's a pic of top & bottom; I see some vendors online, but out of stock.
1651075395300.png

and the bottoms: (so you can see the balls, which slide on your normal pins)
1651075360400.png

I needed this system so I could still have "quick hitch" functionality while being compatible with attachments like the post auger which require removing the top link (but still use quick release for bottom), and not needing to remove the quick hitch to install the backhoe.

these have the same functionality of "pat's quick hitch" and none of the limitations: has a top-link option, and retains articulation (pat's changes geometry as you raise/lower the links)

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #16  
if you're going to the trouble of welding the link - look at a quick release!

I bought mine from FitRite after learning of Euro Style 3pt quick release fittings here (but i can't for the life of me fine the thread!)

here's a pic of top & bottom; I see some vendors online, but out of stock.
View attachment 743562

and the bottoms: (so you can see the balls, which slide on your normal pins)
View attachment 743561

I needed this system so I could still have "quick hitch" functionality while being compatible with attachments like the post auger which require removing the top link (but still use quick release for bottom), and not needing to remove the quick hitch to install the backhoe.

these have the same functionality of "pat's quick hitch" and none of the limitations: has a top-link option, and retains articulation (pat's changes geometry as you raise/lower the links)

This is one thread on Euro style.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #17  
Definitely my preferred system

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #18  
The videos in the Euro link above show one tractor rigged so the operator doesn't have to exit the seat to get hooked up. I don't mind leaving the seat but sure looks like the Euro style would be handy.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #19  
I have to get off for mine I don't have a rope on the lower lift arm latches.
I will normally back up to where I am going to set an implement.
Get off the tractor and if it has one lower the support stand, disconnect the pto
and any hydraulic hoses or wires then unlatch the lower links.
Get back in the cab and lower the implement down and adjust the top link length
to pull the rope and unlatch it, lower the lift arms to clear and drive away.

To connect there are a couple of methods;
I'll back up till the lower lift arms are under and aligned, then lift till hooked.
Adjust the length of the top link till it will set down and latch and then lift partially.
Get off and hook up the pto and hydraulic or electrical connections and stow and support stands.
Get back in the cab and go.

(this method lets me get my large carcass in between the implement and the tractor)
The other is on very close coupled implements I'll back up most of the way connect the pto, hydraulic and electrical.
Then get back in and back up the rest of the way and raise the lift arms adjust the top link and then pickup the implement
if it had a jack or support I'll have to get out again and secure it.

I also have a 3 point lift or lower control on the fender which I will use at times hooking up or dropping an implement.

/ Hydraulic top link ball end liberated itself. #20  
The getting in and out, off and on, is good exercise for us old people!