Hydraulic top link on BX

/ Hydraulic top link on BX #1  

mwemaxxowner

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 1880 with FEL and canopy
I ordered my BX1880 with rear remote valves, in hopes of adding a hydraulic top link some day. Some googling shows me that it's difficult to find one small enough to use on this tractor.

On a search that began completely unrelated to this, I was looking at the Pat's Easy Change vs quick hitch 3 point assisters.

On a comparison video, someone pointed out that th Pat's Easy Change sets your lower pin attachment points back approximately 4", but does not set your top link point back like a quick hitch does. He stated that he needed to get a longer top link for his tractor after switching to the P.E.C.

Well, a lightbulb went off. Does that mean I could use the P.E.C. for easy 3 point hitching, and add a longer hydraulic top link, that I'm assuming will be easier to find?

/ Hydraulic top link on BX #2  
Yep you're absolutely correct, you'd need a top link that is 4" longer than your stock one. That should open up the options. My hyd top link is inexpensive but works surprisingly well, and might fit your tractor too once you install Pat's: Hydraulic Top Link-Tractor, 3 point | Agri Supply 90599

I've never used Pat's (have a standard QH) but lots of folks on this forum have had good success. Adding a QH and a hydraulic top link has been the single most useful mod on my machine, you'll never go back to kicking and swearing at your implements again.

/ Hydraulic top link on BX
I think I'd prefer to have a regular QH, but opening up my options to have a H.T.L. I think really seals the deal for me. That's mostly why I've paid for the rear remote valve.

I've never had the luxury of using a H.T.L. Is it as simple as pinning the cylinder in, attaching my hoses to the cylinder (which I guess I'll have to have made up at a hydraulic shop) and away I go?

/ Hydraulic top link on BX #5  
Agri Supply has the hoses. I got lucky and found my cylinder at AS on the shelf. They have hoses out of the wazoo. I think I paid $175 for mine. The hoses are 25 bucks or so. I did go to the Deere store and get some swivel fittings and a 90 for mine. It hit something when the lift was raised all the way up.

/ Hydraulic top link on BX #6  
I've never had the luxury of using a H.T.L. Is it as simple as pinning the cylinder in, attaching my hoses to the cylinder (which I guess I'll have to have made up at a hydraulic shop) and away I go?
Yep, it's that simple! As workinonit points out, you can usually buy the hoses/fitting you need preassembled but if not it isn't rocket science to screw fitting together. Or have a hyd shop do it for you, won't cost much.

I have an Agri Supply about 15 miles away .

/ Hydraulic top link on BX #8  
Grab your credit card, set aside an hour or 2 and go shopping. That place is like a candy store to me. I know most of the stuff is Chino junk but they have everything you can imagine. I've always had good luck with their cylinders. And their hoses are really good.

Nah. Just bought a brand new tractor and trailer. Have to let the shock from that settle first .

I've been looking at stuff all week though. Planning out trying to pay cash or use 0% promotional offers for anything I purchase.

I need a box blade, tiller, top link, ratchet rake, piranha tooth bar, and forks. I'm also looking at the Tach N Go or the AI2 quick attach. And I guess I've used the word "need" loosely .