Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump

/ Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump #1  

texasjohn

Tractor
Kubota Grand L5030HSTC
Dump trailer hydraulics overflow and are slow.. .I wonder why?:confused:

OK.. more info...The facts are:

It's a 20 foot gooseneck PJ dump, I purchased it used, it's about 2 years old, was used to do Katrina cleanup. Cylinder is double acting... there is a hose that goes to each end of the cylinder.

When I bought it, I couldn't raise it all the way up because battery was low... but it did start and begin to move the dump bed up with no apparent difficulty.

I got it home, charged the battery, took a long time to charge... but it's a 1100 CCA CAT battery..12 V...I mean, it's BIG. It took a full charge.

Empty, I raised the bed and noticed it was kinda slow, but I'm not experienced and thus didn't know if this was the proper speed or not.. it went up at the same rate UNTIL the sound changed... fluid tank was empty.

Before starting, I had checked the tank... it was low, thus I put in about 2 quarts. I estimate the total capacity is one gallon. However, I had left about 1/2 inch air space (tank lays on its side) from liquid to top of tank. The fill plug is on the very top of the tank.

So, when it went dry, I figured that it needed to be completely filled up and added more fluid... maybe half a quart... ran dump up farther up and tank ran near dry again. Repeated this at least once more till dump was at maximum vertical extension. There was maybe .5 inch or less of fluid remaining in the tank at this point.

I figured that I now had a "full charge" of hydraulic fluid and let it down. To my surprise, I had a very significant overflow of hydraulic fluid from the tank... I began to surmise that the tank capacity and trailer capacity needs were mismatched... but this would be very surprising.... the prior owner had not indicated anything other than the hydraulics were strong... he said that the lift was capable of 20 tons... yes, 20 tons, not 20,000lbs.

Now, for the rest of the story...

I put a bout 1.5 yards of sandy material into the trailer... right over the rear wheels and mostly centered in the bed. I didn't want to overload it the first trip. When I went to raise it to dump, things went very, very slow... we're talking maybe 5 minutes of pumping to nearly empty the hydraulic tank... not wanting to pump air, I added more fluid... again... ran the pump for maybe another 5 minutes before the angle was sufficient to START the material to sliding down. I was, again, out of fluid and not at the top of the stroke, so added more fluid. Another 5 minutes or so of pumping (ever so slow progress, but it DID keep moving up) and I finally was able to complete the dump.

Again, lost a quart or more of fluid when letting the dump back down.

Fluid escaping looks creamy... what I added was clear fluid.

I see no evidence of recent replacement of any hoses, tank, motor, pump, solenoids, or cylinder. All are properly grungy to have been used together for quite some time. However, there is no evidence of ANY hydraulic leak other than what flows backwards out the fill opening which has an air escape cap. I looked carefully to see if there were any external leaks.. none visible at all, and no evidence of any.

So, it all looks factory original, although I do need to call PJ Trailers with the serial number and find out what was originally installed.

Current conclusions:

A) Hydraulic tank needs extra capacity to avoid fluid loss...
I have looked for an hydraulic overflow cap that I could use to replace the existing one and a matching overflow hydraulic tank... like what is used for radiator fluid... but haven't found anything so far... ideas??

B) Hydraulic system needs some repairs to increase lift speed:
I think I need to get a hydraulic pressure gauge to know what the pressures are. Where is the best place to get a hydraulic gauge?:confused:

Assuming that the pump can reach the required pressure (3300 lbs), I have read elsewhere that possible problems could be:
1) clogged filter.... haven't figured out where this is as yet.
2) hoses are reversed (hydraulic gauge will help here)
3) high pressure fluid is leaking past the cylinder (from wear, etc.) and dramatically reducing lifting efficiency. In which case we hope that replacement of seals is all that is necessary... and that the cylinder walls are not scored unduly.

If anybody sees a different analysis path or diagnosis, I'm listening. I have a college physics understanding of hydraulics, but no hands-on repair experience.

I have seen in other posts that people indicate that rebuilding a cylinder is not too difficult... the parts are not too much, it is the labor that adds up quickly.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump #2  
Do you have any pictures of the plumbing? Usually the reason for 2 hoses to a dump bed cylinder that lowers by gravity is to use the rod end of the cylinder as a reservoir for fluid. If this is done, the main reservoir only needs to be large enough to contain the ammount of fluid the rod would displace on a fully closed cylinder(pretty small ammount). If the reservoir is un-vented, this is to force fluid back to the rod end once full during lowering. The description of "creamy" fluid indicates to me the presence of air in the fluid or cavitation in the pump. Either the system is not primed, or their is a restriction in the supply path causing a suction and air to be induced thru a leak. It is far easier to draw in air thru a pinhole than move thick fluid thru a restricted pathway. This would explain the slow rise. A restriction of flow to-from the rod end of the cylinder would add a hydraulic load and also slow operation. The only filter on this HPU may be internal to the tank, a wire mesh suction strainer. A couple of pics would help a lot to get us all on the same page as to how yours is configured.

/ Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump
OK...will work on photos when it is next light.. thanks for the discussion... I can see you've been where I've yet to tread:)

/ Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump #4  
texasjohn said:
the prior owner had not indicated anything other than the hydraulics were strong... he said that the lift was capable of 20 tons... yes, 20 tons, not 20,000lbs.

Based on this statement and the facts that (1) It is extremely slow and (2) The reservoir does not hold enough fluid to complete the lift, It leads me to think that someone has replaced the cylinder with a larger one or replaced the pump/reservoir with a smaller one. I think I would look at this first and make sure that the two components are not mis-matched. Getting the specs from PJ Trailers would help confirm if they were right or wrong.

As RonMar said, pics would also help.

Mike

/ Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump #5  
I looked online and found a website for PJ trailers. They have the operating and spec documentation for their Hydraulic power Units online, including a hydraulic schematic... There was also a troubleshooting table. There are a couple valves involved with the plumbing of the HPU and a failure of one of these valves could be causing your problems. I forget the web address, just google PJ trailers and you should find their site.

/ Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump #6  
Yes pictures would help.
Is it a scissor lift type hoist?
My tank for my Colt 18K hoist is over 2 gallons and uses almost the whole tank.
It does take awhile for it to get to the full up position but not no five minutes.

You just may need a seperate tank that has a vented cap for the extra capacity.

All.. thanks for the ideas.. working on getting pictures... buddy with digital camera will drop by and assist...

Update... just now contacted P-J trailers, talked to Dave in warranty... nice guy... he amazed me with his explination... I yet have to try his solution to see if it works.

He suggests that the problem may be a low battery... try a fully charged batt.

He says that a trickle charger is needed to charge the battery that the traditional 12V car battery charger (10 amps or so) I have used will give it a charge, but the charge won't hold... not sure I fully understand this and I need to study it further.

Low voltage would explain why it is a slow pump and rise in the dump. I hadn't put a voltmeter on the battery since I had charged it overnight and the meter on my charger showed it at over 90% charged.

ALSO, apparently the pump is responsible for pumping the fluid from the tank into the other side of the cylinder on the down stroke when lowering the dump bed. Thus, if low voltage, slow pump, and the gravity down pressure flow gets ahead of the pump, thus excess fluid accumulates in the tank and overflows.

So, low voltage = slow pump = hydraulic overflow ..

Last edited:
OK... photos are taken, looking into the hydraulic bin in the front of the trailer, in order of increasing detail.

pump and connected motor and tank
pump_tank_P1020032.jpg
pump connections
pump_connections_P1020029.jpg
two hydraulic connections that go back to the big lift cylinder... they are the brassy looking fittings connecting into the steel pump housing

two_hydraulic_lines_P1020034.jpg

I have not yet tried a replacement battery, however, I put a voltmeter on the battery, which has had a trickle charger on it all day... 12.5 volts, no load. Then, I started raising (all too slowly) the dump and voltage dropped to 11.4 volts after a minute... front of dump had raised 4 inches. Does this voltage drop versus work done seem reasonable? Anybody with a dump trailer have any time versus distance traveled versus voltage information?

The above was without having the battery connected to a charging pickup alternator, or other charger, just running off of battery only.

The battery is a biggie, CAT 1000 CCA, 9X9720, 275 reserve capacity minutes at 25 amp output at 80 degrees F (about today's temp)

battery_P1020033.jpg

/ Hydraulics overflow and a slow dump #9  
That is one big ***** battery...

Mine is a Wally World special average size car battery, mine takes about two minutes to go to full dump position....and I thought that was slow..This battery has been working for three years.

You need to check the electrolyte level in each of the cells to see the specific gravity level, this will tell you what shape the cell is in.

Here is a pic of mine in full dump.
copy of dsc00010 pictures from friends & fun photos on webshots

OK, Wushaw, thanks for the comparison info...

The battery weighs 101 lbs wet according to the Cat specs. Fluid level in all cells was above the plates when I got the trailer and I've brought the level up to just under the filler cap with distilled water.

Nice looking trailer.... how do you charge your battery? Does it charge while connected to your pickup, or with a 110V charger when parked?