hydrostatic drive warn out! Heavy oil yes or no

/ hydrostatic drive warn out! Heavy oil yes or no #11  
I agree.. 30w ND.. Probably get it for 85 cents a quart at the corner jiffy, or wally-mart.. tsc.. etc.

Soundguy

/ hydrostatic drive warn out! Heavy oil yes or no
thats a-lot cheaper then hy-tran /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you think I should get a quality oil of some sort because it is running all hydraulics and power steering and everything else whatever that may be. Shouldnt I get a quality oil maybe stuff made for hydrostatics if they have any? Also i run ursa sae30 engine oil in that tractor for engine oil and I cant remember if its non-detergent or detergent. I know what it looks like when i buy it. Is the detergent usually specified "detergent" or the non-detergent usually say "non-detergent" I know i get ursa sae 30 and it doesnt say either or unless i read fine print on back. People around here say that is good stuff for engine oil but Im not sure about hydro.

Mike

/ hydrostatic drive warn out! Heavy oil yes or no #13  
If the oil doesn't say NON-DETERGENT.. and has an upto date sae rating.. it is going to be detergent. Every ND oil I've ever bought stated NON DETERGENT on it boldly.

As for finding a quality oil for your hydrostat.. etc.. that's what that hytran, and other UTF is.. but you said it's too thin /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif We've told you what will probably be best to be used.. and that's 30w ND motor oil. You are not going to find a motor oil that is designed for hyds.. it's just that some hyd applications can/will spec a 30w non det. motor oil as a fluid.. etc. You are going to run into an addative package difference.. however the most important stuff will be there.. lubrication.. anti corrosion.. etc. You have very few options... the UTF stuff is very thin.. like aw46.. it's all 10 and 20w oils.. etc. Next viscosity jump is 30w Like we've pointed out.. in past history.. there are a few heavy equipment applications that spec 30w in the hyds.. and 30w or 40w inthe trannies.. older tech stuff.. but it worked at the time. Go back even farther into say.. the 30's thru the 50's and you found gear boxes that would spec 50w motor oil, or 90wt gl-1 type mineral oils for the tranny, diffy, and hyds. and steering boxes. 90wt is good thick stuff.. but a hydro pump made for aw46 or utf is going to choke on it.. probably cavitate and die a flaming death.. the old scotch yoke pumps were made to pump the thick 90wt and 50w oils.

Try a few bucks worth of 30wnd oil.. I wouldn't go any higher weight. As for quality? I doubt you can buy 'bad' oil on a shelf in america anywhere. However I'm sure you can find alotta average and 'adequate' oils that meet minimum lube and addative package specs.... and then if you want to spend the money you can find better and superior oils. You are not going to find the big major brands selling the ND oils on regular stor shelves... except perhaps.. 76.. You can still stop in a jiffy that sells 76 oils.. and get NDs.. as well as quick kings and get QK brand ND oils. Brigs/stratten dealers.. and places like TSC sell ND engine oil for lawnmowers.. and TSC sells it's 'travveler' brand generic ND oil. Supertech (wallmart) used to have ND oils.. I havn't checked recently though to verify they still have any.

Your money... Me? I'd buy the 84 cent a quart stuff and go.. no need to spend a couple bucks per quart on 'the good stuff' for a worn out hydrostat that is only going to get worse.. no matter what you pour into it. Running it with the recomende doil may make it last a tad longer.. however with the reduced performance you notice when hot.. making it virtually useless. The 30w oil will probably solve that for a year or two.. at the expense of further working out the already worn hydrostat... It's simple a matter of pay now.. or pay later on fixing the hydrostat...

Soundguy

thanks for the reply soundman. I am now on a mission. Thanks again for every ones help on this. It will be kinda fun to see what happens and I will try to report back if i can remember 5 months from now.

Mike

/ hydrostatic drive warn out! Heavy oil yes or no #15  
Another option you might want to consider is using a 15/40 engine oil. I have a customer that does that in his fleet of 973 Cat loaders that were getting hot in severe truck loading application. Cat does not recommend this, but they were getting good life from the trans & the oil samples I have seen looked okay. Should meet your needs for flow at low temps & the heavier oil in summer. Also may have a relief valve that is not seating properly & letting hot, thin oil bypass. not an unusual problem on the Sunstrand pumps that IH used. One way to test is when tractor will barely go forward, see if reverse is also affected. Different valves for each direction.

same going backwards. i ruled out relief valve.

My father in law is heavy equipment mechanic for woods cutting type equipment and he says there is one brand I think CAT that they run nothing but 15-40 in the hydraulic and engine and everything on the tractor he said was 15-40 including hydrostatic. he seem to think heavier oil will help as well but thinks strait 30 weight would be better I dont know why, but i am gonna try sae30 first I guess. Thanks for the info!

mike

I havent heard from Mike(GSXR1100) yet. I must be one of the 1% that he doesnt reply to. this is a cut and paste from him.

"do a search on oil topics and I bet 99% of them I have stated what I think. "

Mike

I went to a texaco dealer that has tons of oils and was going to get ursa 30w Nd but they didnt have any and in further looking at hundreds of gallons of oils they had there i guess there was NO non-detergent oil at all. All of the oils there had spec ratings but none of them said Non-detergent and I think soundman said non-detergents will say on it non-detergent. So is it probabbly true that all they had was detergent and i will have to look elsewhere? i was looking at ursa super plus sae30 and they had ursa extra duty sae30 but they didnt say non-detergent on them. Now why again use non-detergent? is it because of foaming or something? by the way the cheapest oil they had was $1.50 a quart and that was buying it in 5 gallon containers. i would like to find some 80 cent per quart stuff like soundman mentioned. So my question is why non-detergent instead of most common detergent oil found everywhere around here and where is a good place to get it. this is rural area with not many places around but NAPA.

Mike

I went with URSA 15W/40 since that is what my IH service guy said to do and he been working there 20 years and knows his stuff about how the IH hydro works but anyway he said dont use non-detergent junk he said poor quality. I have been haying in the 90's and it has been working fine. It is much better then before. I think it will last me a few more seasons now. Just wanted to let you know that the heavier oil did work and better then expected. beats 3 grand for a overhaul.

Mike

/ hydrostatic drive warn out! Heavy oil yes or no #20  
That hydro system use a filter?

Soundguy