I hate grease guns

/ I hate grease guns #11  
Maybe you could put an extension on them? I think zerks have NPT threads? They seem tapered.

You could take a grease gun whip hose, and tighten down the coupler down really well on the hard to get to zerk, then replace the seat, and extend the whip hose out to where it is accessible, screw a female 1/8 coupling on to the 1/8 inch male end of the whip, then screw a 1/8 inch NPT zerk into the coupling.. and Bob's your Uncle... you now have a zerk out where you can get to it to pump grease into it... I know a lot of "junk" to get to an un-accessible zerk, but I believe it would work. Isn't my mind a convoluted thing?:laughing:

/ I hate grease guns #12  
I never knew that was possible. I will certainly look into that option. Thanks.

MoKelly

Not all Zerks are 1/8 NPT.. but a lot of them are..and you can use common plumbing items from the hardware store to plumb it any way you want to. But there are Metric ones, and British Straight Pipe, and British tapered Pipe, and I heard someone mention something stupid like German thread or something.

/ I hate grease guns #13  
I love grease guns. They save me a LOT of mechanical repairs. :)

As for remote zerks, most construction equipment has them. The JD grader I run has 10 zerks that are remote located. Flexible hose brings the zerk to an easy to access location. Usually a bank of 2 or 3 zerks in each location.

Identify the threads. Then use the amazing computer tool, Google. You'll come up with what you need.

/ I hate grease guns #14  
I used to work at a laundry and they occasionally had to refill the grease gun. It was fitted with a zerk on the resevoir so they took it over to the filling station and had it filled from the gun at the lube rack. I've never seen that done anywhere else.

/ I hate grease guns #15  
yes, extend them out to where you can get to them. I used old wipe hose from my grease, then buy an electric grease gun. Lock and lube coupler makes big difference also. Wear disposable gloves, gotten good at it. I like doing my own greasing then you can spot issues, and you know it is done right. Have two grease zerks on loader that won't take grease hard to get to bought it used, so understand why they weren't greased. However, sent the employee to grease he would come back and say all done. He either didn't find them or didn't give a rip that they where not taking grease.

/ I hate grease guns #16  
GREASE FITTING EXTENSION, GREASE FITTING ADAPTERS, PLUGS, BUSHINGS

Remote Lube Fitting Systems | Remote Grease Fitting | Grease Header Block

These folks have all sorts of grease fittings, elbows, 45's, manifolds, brass extension tubes, etc. I find 75% of the battle is knowing something exists.

A flex hose extender would not be subject to vibration fatigue like a metal tube would be. Feed Line Hose is what they call the flexible lines:
SAE Products® feed line hoses allow lubricant to flow between junction blocks and lubrication points. Made from nylon tubing with a dacron braid and polyurethane cover. Hose end part number SAE-246002 sold separately.
Click here to see how system works.

/ I hate grease guns #17  
I feel your pain. One bad time loading those things can be a turn off for sure.

MoKelly

I was helping my dad load a grease gun a few years ago and the darn top of it wouldn't go back on and when I almost had it back on the top shot off and grease went all over me. xd.

The end rod was latched and came undone just as I almost had the top part back on. I barely got it to thread on when it came undone and pushed the grease the top part off.

Took awhile to get that cleaned off. And I smelt like grease for awhile. lol

/ I hate grease guns #18  
I'm with ovrszd... grease is a friend. Get the Lock n lube and be happy!

/ I hate grease guns #19  
I feel your pain. One bad time loading those things can be a turn off for sure.

I feel better now knowing I'm not the only one that has made that mess. It really didn't help in my effort to quit cussing.

I also wear latex gloves when I grease the tractor........It makes the job a little less un-pleasant.

Charlie

/ I hate grease guns #20  
Maybe you could put an extension on them? I think zerks have NPT threads? They seem tapered.

Some are 1/4-28 as well. And they also make press in types too.

Grease is a necessary evil. Its a messy job and no real clean way to go about it. And storing grease, you always have some of the liquid separate out and leak everywhere. I store my grease guns over the shop trashcan. Hook the handle over the handle over the edge and let whatever drips out, drip in the trashcan.

Never had any issues loading a gun though. But have probably used thousands of tubes. I dont have the storage issues with grease at work as its not uncommon to go through 3 or 4 tubes a week.