I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #21  
You just need a couple of CO-OP Grip Spurs or some Gateway Gumbo Monster Mud tires on the back. Do you have a posi unit in rear? Those really help. Some are pretty easy to install without adjusting ring and pinion. I have seen lockers put in the rear and they didn't need 4x4 anymore.
Growing up a friend of mines dad had a 1980 (new at the time) f150 4x4 reg cab long bed. He said would go anywhere. (I thought that truck was pretty cool).

His grand and had a 78/79 F250 two wheel drive with a 460. The 250 had skinny front tires and mud grips that stuck out past the fenders about as wide as a dually would. The green truck would go everywhere the red truck would and then some. It just burned more gas doing it as he would have to floor it all the way.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #22  
My dad farmed for 40 plus years and never owned a 4x4 and never got stuck. I always tried to get him to buy a 4x4 but he wouldn’t. I said dad, you’ll get stuck in a wet field without it. He said no I won’t because if the field is wet enough to get stuck in it’s too wet to work in…..

im totally with you. I got a 2020 2wd Tahoe stuck on 3” of snow on a flat asphalt parking lot last week. These new vehicles with traction control will not let you floor it / Rick it back and forth to get yourself out. Push button/knobs for gear selectors should be outlawed and column shifters should be mandatory!

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #23  
Growing up a friend of mines dad had a 1980 (new at the time) f150 4x4 reg cab long bed. He said would go anywhere. (I thought that truck was pretty cool).

His grand and had a 78/79 F250 two wheel drive with a 460. The 250 had skinny front tires and mud grips that stuck out past the fenders about as wide as a dually would. The green truck would go everywhere the red truck would and then some. It just burned more gas doing it as he would have to floor it all the way.

“And then some”? Implying it would go further? Come on.

Put those trucks in snow and I’d end up pulling out the 2WD behind me with a chain…

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #24  
My dad wrestled with 2wd trucks back in the 60’s and 70’s when I was just a little kid. Neighbor had 4wd truck and would sort of tease my dad about why he wouldn’t spring for a 4wd. My dad would put a cord of firewood in the back and chains on the rear tires and brag he was as good as 4wd, but he left out a few key facts
1. the bed was now full of firewood and no longer useable for his trade work (construction)
2. When the snow melted, he was left with a 2wd truck running around on bare pavement with chains on it. Oh what fun that must be to ride around in…. (Illegal in many areas)

Anyways, one day in the early-mid 70’s he comes home with an International 4wd pickup. Never owned another 2wd truck for 40 years after that.

Last edited:
   / I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #25  
Got stuck in the yard of the 100+ year old house my youngest is redoing. Wife and I were supposed to load aluminum siding that had come off the house to take to a recycling place. Truck is a 2014 Ford F150 with the towing package. I love it for driving, towing, and hauling stuff. But it can get stuck on wet grass. Tires have street tread and 43,000 miles on them and that didn't help. My Kioti was ten miles away. Nobody nearby was at home. Finally got hold of a friend who is a retired college professor/preacher/business owner. He has some heart issues and it scared me to call him. He pulled me out with a RAM 4wd. Never spun a tire.

I will be hearing about this for years.

RSKY
Did you have any weight in the bed? That certainly helps me in the Winter months. However I do find myself using 4WD.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #26  
“And then some”? Implying it would go further? Come on.

Put those trucks in snow and I’d end up pulling out the 2WD behind me with a chain…
No doubt, but we were too far South for snow.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #27  
Push button/knobs for gear selectors should be outlawed and column shifters should be mandatory!
Amen on that. I've got a '19 Ram 1500, couple of times now I've been going to back in somewhere and looking in my mirror, reached for and got the d**n fan speed. Yes the fan speed is smaller diameter and a bit further to the right but it's exactly the same texture and if you're concentrating on looking back it doesn't click in your mind right away. I can't imagine what one of those shifter switches is worth.
Another pain in the butt is it going into park mode when you open the door when it's in gear, that's how I line up for my ramps. That was an easy fix tho, got a seat belt extender that I leave in.
You ever look into what you have to do to put it in neutral if you have no power? a real pain.
Sorry for the rant............Mike

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #28  
My dad wrestled with 2wd trucks back in the 60’s and 70’s when I was just a little kid. Neighbor had 4wd truck and would sort of tease my dad about why he wouldn’t spring for a 4wd. My dad would put a cord of firewood in the back and chains on the rear tires and brag he was as good as 4wd, but he left out a few key facts
1. the bed was now full of firewood and no longer useable for his trade work (construction)
2. When the snow melted, he was left with a 2wd truck running around on bare pavement with chains on it. Oh not what fun that must be to ride around in…. (Illegal in many areas)
4WD trucks weren't all that common in those days, and you paid quite a premium for it! Most everyone who did get one back then used it as a plow truck. Back then a used 4WD was best avoided as it likely had a rough life unlike today.

He left the chains on full-time all winter? That must have ridden like a bulldozer!!
Fuel economy-wise, 2wd is the better bet. Mind you, I don't have to deal with Winter/icy conditions, nor do I need to go 'off road'.
That's the key. If you don't need 4/AWD, you're just wasting money. The automakers seem to be pushing full time AWD these days, but unless you live in the snow belt it really doesn't gain you anything.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #29  
4WD trucks weren't all that common in those days, and you paid quite a premium for it! Most everyone who did get one back then used it as a plow truck. Back then a used 4WD was best avoided as it likely had a rough life unlike today.

1. He left the chains on full-time all winter? That must have ridden like a bulldozer!!

2. That's the key. If you don't need 4/AWD, you're just wasting money. The automakers seem to be pushing full time AWD these days, but unless you live in the snow belt it really doesn't gain you anything.
1. No, thats my whole point, he took them off and on. Not easy work for middle aged and older men!

2. Agree, except for contractors needing off road or muddy site traction.

/ I have owned my last 2 wheel drive pickup #30  
More people get stuck in 4wd trucks from overconfidence.
I remember reading a 4x4 off road magazine back in the 70s and one sentence stuck with me. "Four wheel drive doesn't keep you from getting stuck, it just gets you stuck in worse places." Ever sense reading that, I've been a little more cautious on road and off in choosing where and how I would drive.