I need a propane torch that works

/ I need a propane torch that works
The auto ignition ones work well overall but a couple things. 1 - It won't want to light until the gas is all the way open or nearly so. You try to light it at partial flow and it probably won't work or it will just blip a little. and 2 - I have seen where the spark tip is not sitting in a good spot to make the spark and light the mixture, so it can help to tweak it a little until you find a spot that lights well. Don't go crazy, but if it is not lighting reliably try tweaking it.
I believe that at one time I had one of the same type everybody is recommending. After about 20 years though it started leaking and I had to toss it. Somehow propane leak and torch didn't seem like a good combination. :eek:

/ I need a propane torch that works #12  
The TS4000T doesn't have any control over how much gas comes out. It's either on or off. I use mine to start my woodstove daily. The only issue I have is where the holes are to let the air in is a weak spot. If it gets knocked over it's probably not going to be an issue but I had my first one roll of a bench and broke. I replaced it with another one because it works so well.

/ I need a propane torch that works #13  
First of all things change.
Bernzomatic has come out with the TS800, which is adjustable, otherwise like the TS400.
Selector
They also sell the old style.
MAPP gas (a stabilized mixture of methylacetylene (propyne), propadiene and propane) is no longer available for the most part. MAPP was great when you needed to braze.
MAPP (5300*F) burns much hotter than MAP-Pro (3730*F) or propane (3600*F).
MAP-Pro is just a little better than propane, and butane burns at ~ 1,970°C, 3578°F.

It seems the price premium for MAP-Pro ($13/14.1oz) compared to propane ($5/14.1oz) is trading on the old MAPP name.

/ I need a propane torch that works #14  
Just a simple, basic torch which screws onto a disposable cylinder and burns when you light it. Heat, solder, or start a bonfire, then turn off the valve until next time. That seems like an easy request but I haven't found one yet. I've bought two Bernzomatics and another brand (I don't recall the name as it went out in the trash.) Screw the tank on, light it and it may sputter for a few seconds but then it goes out.

Has anybody bought a torch in the last 5 years that worked?
I have the same problem with a Bernzomatic and with the one that it replaced. It just won’t stat lit. Won’t burn when inverted for more than a few seconds. Basically makes it useless. Sounds like the $20 unit is garbage and the $50 unit works as designed. I wish companies would stop selling things that they know are junk.

/ I need a propane torch that works
. I wish companies would stop selling things that they know are junk.
Especially when they are a company with a long term reputation for quality. I always have thought Bernzomatic was synonymous with quality... heck, I still have a lightweight camp stove by them which my parents bought 60 or so years ago. It’s simple, lightweight, and perfect to throw in the truck so that I can have something hot for lunch when I’m out hunting. I would wager if I went through my father’s tools there would be at least one Bernzomatic torch... and that it would still work.

/ I need a propane torch that works #17  
I'm thinking the Bernzomatic has a replaceable orifice.

/ I need a propane torch that works #18  
Just a simple, basic torch which screws onto a disposable cylinder and burns when you light it. Heat, solder, or start a bonfire, then turn off the valve until next time. That seems like an easy request but I haven't found one yet. I've bought two Bernzomatics and another brand (I don't recall the name as it went out in the trash.) Screw the tank on, light it and it may sputter for a few seconds but then it goes out.

Has anybody bought a torch in the last 5 years that worked?

i keep a Bernzomatic around; comes in handy, including in the winter when I need to melt ice on my snowblower fan.

you say that yours doesn't stay lit- do you have it turned up all the way?

/ I need a propane torch that works #19  
have the same torch...i burn the yellow can gas... MAP PRO gas. works great. hotter flame than propane. mine is at least 15 years old in service rig. have same one next to wood stove probably 10 years old.... for starting stove.
DO NOT leave it beside the Wood Stove.