I need help deciding on new trailer

/ I need help deciding on new trailer
Tongue weight is a concern but goose neck is out because I use a contractor cap on tow vehicle. I'm hoping I won't need weight distribution hitch for short halls but safety first. Thanks for the input.

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #82  
I know that aluminum will corrode (which is the same oxidation process as steel rusting). Aluminum is actually more reactive than Iron. The difference is that iron oxide is very brittle and doesn't adhere well to the parent iron. Aluminum oxide is extremely hard (it's often used as an abrasive) and adheres very strongly to aluminum. So steel oxidizes, but that oxide is porous and the steel underneath continues to oxidize. Pretty quickly you'll have serious pitting or perforation. Aluminum, on the other hand, oxidizes much faster than the steel but a microscopic layer of aluminum oxide quickly forms and protects the aluminum underneath from the atmosphere and the corrosion stops. You can take two identical placards of 1/4" steel and aluminum, drill a hole in each one and hang them from a dock on the seaside. In a few years, the steel sheet will probably be gone and the aluminum will look about the same as when you put it there. On the other hand, bolt the steel and aluminum sheet together, and the aluminum will rot away (and serve as a sacrificial anode to protect the steel) due to galvanic corrosion. The exception is at extreme pH. If you expose the aluminum and steel to pH extremes high enough to dissolve aluminum oxide, then the aluminum will corrode extremely quickly because it is such a reactive metal and a hard shell of aluminum oxide isn't being allowed to form to protect it. Your other point is that aluminum itself is much softer than steel, which is true. And I wouldn't use an aluminum trailer for hauling gravel or things like scrap steel regularly. But my tractor is tiny compared to most and as long as I'm not abusive by dragging implements across the deck, I would expect the all aluminum trailer to far outlast a steel trailer with a wooden deck for my use. I'm also a car guy, so there's a good chance I'll use this trailer to move a car around pretty regularly.

Hey, Park, Thanks so much for that post! I had no idea that was how aluminum worked! I have a galvanized pontoon boat trailer. Do you know how long it will last relative to aluminum or steel?

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #83  
Yes pretty much. I'm kind of on the fence about a Beavertail though. Has anyone used both?

I have a Beavertail, and the issue is clearance. Mine is an 18 footer, and when I move it around my lot with the Fel of my tractor, I have to be very careful about how high I lift up the front end. The backend tends to drag on the ground if you lift up the front end too high. So, I would not get a Beavertail if you're going to be driving over rough terrain.

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #84  
Hey, Park, Thanks so much for that post! I had no idea that was how aluminum worked! I have a galvanized pontoon boat trailer. Do you know how long it will last relative to aluminum or steel?

Galvanizing steel is really just coating the steel with Zinc Oxide. Zinc Oxide is fairly hard, bonds very well to steel, and extremely inert. It functions much the same way that Aluminum Oxide does. Hot-dip galvanize a sheet of steel and hang it next to a placard of Aluminum and I don't know which would be there longer.

The disadvantage is that you only get it from the application of Zinc, whereas Aluminum oxidizes spontaneously. Galvanized steel can "self heal" a bit, but if there is significant damage, then you're left with the original, corrosion-prone steel. Consider those same two sheets of steel. Hang them up for six months. They'll probably look pretty similar when you come check on them. But now cut a corner off or drill a hole in the middle of them. The Aluminum sheet will re-oxidize at the "wound," but the steel will just have bare steel exposed.

Your pontoon trailer will probably last a very, very long time unless you wreck/repair it or decide to rewire it and drill a bunch of holes in it.

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #85  
OK, thanks, Park. I suspected as much. Actually, the trailer was modified when I upgraded to a larger (triple tube) pontoon boat. They added a second axle with brakes, and also a middle bunk to support the 3rd (flat-bottomed) tube. However, it was done by the original manufacturer (Excalibur) where I originally bought the trailer, so I suspect they did it right and added some sort of oxidization-inhibiting goop in any new holes they drilled. Nonetheless, I will check it out the Spring after I put the boat back in the water.

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #86  
I have a Beavertail, and the issue is clearance. Mine is an 18 footer, and when I move it around my lot with the Fel of my tractor, I have to be very careful about how high I lift up the front end. The backend tends to drag on the ground if you lift up the front end too high. So, I would not get a Beavertail if you're going to be driving over rough terrain.

Most Beavertails are 5' long and will drag on rough terrain.

Mine is has a 4' pop up and has never got hung up in the terraced hay field.
PC220005.JPG

The ramps support the weight when driving up the ramps.
P1260019.JPG
P1260004.JPG

When I park it with the FEL, I pick it up high enough that the front axle is off the ground, that makes it easier to jackknife into place and the back of the trailer still has plenty of clearance.

P8250025.JPG

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #87  
For a smaller trailer I would not get the beavertail unless it was a deckover. My 18' with slide in ramps [I hate them by the way because I almost always haul equipment] is the most versatile like Diamond said. CJ

/ I need help deciding on new trailer
Well the plug has been pulled. Today I ordered a 20' 10 k Beavertail 60/40 axel split. heavyweight stand up ramps 7 k jack and tongue box. Decided on stand up ramps for 2 reasons; main use is hauling tractor or mower. Secondly, I have a set of 5 foot medium duty ramps that I could switch to if these are a problem. Thanks for everyone's input I really appreciate hearing others experiences. It helped a lot in working it out in my mind what will be the best for me.

/ I need help deciding on new trailer #89  
Congratulations, we are now waiting on pictures! :thumbsup: