I shudder to think. . .

/ I shudder to think. . . #11  
Do you like wearing gloves when operating machinery? When it's cold, I can tolerate them, but the tactile feedback of joysticks, buttons to press, and even the steering wheel all just feel better to my bare skin rather than through gloves. I've just never been a really big fan of gloves. Recently, when digging silt out of the lake along my shoreline and hauling the silt up to cover some caliche sand, I was operating the backhoe, tractor, and dump trailer without gloves. Since my aim is sometimes off by a couple of inches, the fenders on the trailer often will end up having dirt collect on top. To get it off is simple, I just reach over brush it away. It's no big deal. . . right?

Last week, I had parked the trailer and was getting off the tractor and going to the TLB to load up the trailer again. With the previous load of dirt, I had reached down and wiped the dirt off my fender. As I walked to the TLB, something bright on the top of the dirt pile caught my eye. I glanced down and my heart skipped a beat.

Am I the only one that thought he was going to say there was a finger or part of a finger on the dirt pile?

Keith

/ I shudder to think. . . #12  
When I was young,, early 20s,, My ring got hung on a box car door while I was pushing it closed,, almost pull my finger off,, did leave nasty scar,, I didn't wear it after that,, been married to the same woman for 47 years,, she has trained me well,, for some reason I am always married even in my dreams.:laughing:. I always wear gloves that old skin got thin.. Lou

/ I shudder to think. . . #13  
. . . what would happen if I hadn't noticed something layin' on top of the fresh pile of dirt.:eek:

Okay, that's not much of a hint. How about this? Do you like wearing gloves when operating machinery? When it's cold, I can tolerate them, but the tactile feedback of joysticks, buttons to press, and even the steering wheel all just feel better to my bare skin rather than through gloves. I've just never been a really big fan of gloves. Recently, when digging silt out of the lake along my shoreline and hauling the silt up to cover some caliche sand, I was operating the backhoe, tractor, and dump trailer without gloves. Since my aim is sometimes off by a couple of inches, the fenders on the trailer often will end up having dirt collect on top. To get it off is simple, I just reach over brush it away. It's no big deal. . . right?

Last week, I had parked the trailer and was getting off the tractor and going to the TLB to load up the trailer again. With the previous load of dirt, I had reached down and wiped the dirt off my fender. As I walked to the TLB, something bright on the top of the dirt pile caught my eye. I glanced down and my heart skipped a beat. There in the dirt was a bright shiny gold ring. My wedding ring had slipped off my finger without my knowing it.:shocked: The only reason I saw it was because it looked so out of place. When my hands get dusty/dirty and are dry, my fingers get very slick and the band is loose. It's really not a sizing issue because it fits perfectly. In the future, I may have to consider wearing gloves or doing something to make the ring stay in place like taping around it. I surely don't want to take it off and put it in my pocket because I'll forget it and it will end up in the washer or lost. The ring has seven diamonds set in a row in a smooth gold band, so it wouldn't be easy to replace. It would kill me to have to tell my wife I'd lost it too.

As scary as it was seeing that ring laying there, I know that it could have been worse. It could have come off inside the dump trailer or rolled off into the weeds. If I hadn't seen it, I could have driven over it and buried it in the sand. There are thousands of possibilities that could have happened, but did not. Wow! That's just one more thing I'll be thankful for tomorrow.:dance1: Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!:D

Jim - OMG....I can't believe it...we are kindred souls....about a month ago I was working in the kitchen helping my wife ...she was gone and I was doing some dishes and just cleaning up so she wouldn't have to....I got back in my office and something did not feel right...I noticed I was missing my wedding ring...a band with 6 diamonds in a row...which the Mrs. bought for me 48 yrs. ago...My heart jumped...I panicked...I ran into the kitchen and retraced my steps....I finally realized I had to empty the 15 gal. kitchen trash bag...out to the garage I went and my ring was right at the bottom of the trash bag....Whew! the relief I felt...I know you know what I mean...

I have the same problem ...when my hands are cold or like in your case dusty ...etc. my ring is very loose....I hate to have it cut and sized smaller but I am afraid if I don't ..one of these days I will lose this ring....you too..

Jim, we have both been given a warning I fear....we need to get our rings re-sized or buy some gizmo...but tape is not gonna get it...I tried it and it does not stand up to what we do...Thoughts ?

/ I shudder to think. . . #14  
Brin:
Jim, we have both been given a warning I fear....we need to get our rings re-sized or buy some gizmo...but tape is not gonna get it...I tried it and it does not stand up to what we do...Thoughts ?

Maybe you would both look better with a piercing? :laughing:

/ I shudder to think. . . #15  
My ring got hung on a box car door while I was pushing it closed,, almost pull my finger off,, did leave nasty scar,,

.. Lou

Yeah, stuff like that happens so often they have a name for it- degloving. A friend found that out when he was up on his tiptoes retrieving a tennis ball from a gutter and lost his footing. His ring caught on the gutter and slowed his fall a bit. Hurts to think about.

/ I shudder to think. . . #16  
Brin:

Maybe you would both look better with a piercing? :laughing:

:laughing: Maybe but where...that is the question....:confused3:

/ I shudder to think. . . #17  
I did lose my wedding ring while plowing snow in NH years ago for the military. Pulled my glove off and apparently my ring fell off in the cold. We were using '69 Chevy Carryalls and the floors were all rusted out. A year or two later, I had a call from our mechanic in the Motor Pool. He had been replacing rocker panels and had found a ring inside a rusted out one. Wondered if it was my lost one. Sure enough, it was. Tried to be more careful after that. Then in the mid 90's I was silver soldering refrigerant lines and a gob of hot solder fell and stuck to the ring. Could not get it off until I soaked it. Ended up with a scar where the ring was and can not wear the ring now. Now I have a permanent ring that I can not take off (the scar). Won't lose this one!!!

/ I shudder to think. . . #18  
Still on the first wife but on the second wedding ring. I was doing come concrete work and at the end of the day noticed it was gone. I have an approximate idea where it's at but I'm not going to jackhammer it out.

Thought the wife would be upset but she said no big deal. I went for about 3 months without it until a coworker told my wife that some lady was sweet talking to me ... I had a new wedding band a week later!:)

/ I shudder to think. . . #20  
Glad you found your ring. Could have been the end of your world as you know it!
:laughing:

I never wore any jewelry ever in my life except for a Saint Christopher medal as a youth. When we got married, I put the ring on. Three days later, on our honeymoon, we were driving through the Smoky Mountains and my wife says "How's that ring feel?" I said "Feels pretty good.... wannna try it on?" and I pulled it off and attempted to hand it to her..... "AAAAA, YOU TOOK THE RING OFF!!!" and about as quick as that I put it back on where it remained for the next 27 years. Hers has never been off. So, now its a contest to see who keeps it on longest. She's got me by three days. Only problem is... I was 155 lbs when we got married and skinny as a rail. Now I'm a duece and a quarter and the ring is starting to hurt my finger pretty badly. It took me about 15 minutes to get it past my knuckle last month. I carefully slipped it across to my right pinky, then back to my left pinky, so technically, it has never left my finger(s).
:dance1:
She has given me the O.K. to have it resized, but I think its just a ploy to win the contest.
:rolleyes: